Expansion Rumors…

What’s scary is that we are rarely mentioned in any of the “what-if” articles. If we get relegated to a schedule full of KSUs, GSUs (both of them), and Tulanes, my interest will permanently fall to end of clown era levels.
From a big 2 sports perspective GT has fallen off the cliff from a national perspective. The hoops program since Hewitt (leading up to and post the Hewitt buyout) has been a complete disaster. 2-3 good years (NIT), and 1 NCAAT appearance.

And we all know the football story. If CBK can get GT going again as a consistent 8-9 win program (with or without a bowl win) GT will be a logical choice for the B1G with everything else that comes with GT (TV market, transplant city, huge recruiting state).

Real question is…..As the NCAA is removed and APR goes with it, will GT go back to opening the door for borderline academic players that GOL, Bobby C, Hewitt, etc were allowed to bring in? Answer should be: Yes. It will no longer matter as far as getting some bogus sanction.

From a big 2 sports perspective GT has fallen off the cliff from a national perspective. The hoops program since Hewitt (leading up to and post the Hewitt buyout) has been a complete disaster. 2-3 good years (NIT), and 1 NCAAT appearance.

And we all know the football story. If CBK can get GT going again as a consistent 8-9 win program (with or without a bowl win) GT will be a logical choice for the B1G with everything else that comes with GT (TV market, transplant city, huge recruiting state).

Real question is…..As the NCAA is removed and APR goes with it, will GT go back to opening the door for borderline academic players that GOL, Bobby C, Hewitt, etc were allowed to bring in? Answer should be: Yes. It will no longer matter as far as getting some bogus sanction.
Since big time football is moving away from being an amateur sport maybe academics should be optional. That would widen the field of targets.

I didn't realize that ESPN could decide come February that they don't want to pay for anymore of this ACC öööö anyway and opt out of the last 9 years of the media deal. ESPN could unilaterally kill the ACC if they wanted.

Anyway. Yahoo article in the X.

This is the real leverage for FSU/Clemson. If espn can not re-up the contract, they can leave the acc in 2027- and kill the espn deal. The ACC would lose a lot more money. The acc would have to sue based on the expected value of the Clemson/FSU tv rights. They couldn’t use the espn numbers. That would be a matter for the courts. Or FSU/Clemson can tell the acc to keep the home game rights and essentially black out home games.

It’s only scary if you didn’t recognize it as the reality coming our way. We aren’t appealing to either of the Big 2. Only as defense against the other grabbing us. The Sun Belt is a fun conference. Hopefully we can start winning regularly once we are in it.
What's coming our way is I let go of my ST's and start more kayaking, hiking, concert going. I don't go to pro sports. I will skip college sports too.

I feel like I'm on the Titanic and I see the iceberg but there is nothing I can do. Brace for impact.

I think the Sunbelt will be more fun than the Big 12.

I feel like I'm on the Titanic and I see the iceberg but there is nothing I can do. Brace for impact.

I think the Sunbelt will be more fun than the Big 12.
I was just gonna post the GIF of the band going down with the ship

I feel like FSU and Clemson are ultimately going to end up fine however this shakes out (i.e. in the SEC or B1G), but it would be hysterical if they moved mountains to get out of the ACC and the Big12 was their landing spot.

Fun fact: the Titanic likely would have survived had they simply done nothing and just rammed the iceberg head on.

Back