ESPN says GT has #2 national schedule strength

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
With Samford, UConn & Duke I would figure a little lower than that, but ESPN says 'heck no, GT's schedule is tough '.
For a div1a team, Navy is certainly the bottom of the barrel in SoS. Hard to believe they rooted the Commander-in-Chief's trophy away from Air Force last yr.

ESPN's strength of schedule

There were some people here

on Stingtalk talking about how weak our 2004 Schedule was and I was Laughing...Gailey was VERY wise to bring Samford aboard...We have the toughest schedule this year that we have had in nearly 20 years AND in 2005 possibly the Toughest GT Schedule EVER!!!!

Re: There were some people here

No school will know if they had a tough schedule until after the season is over. I only know it is a disgrace for GT to have Samford and Uconn on the schedule, especially in the same year.

Blah....Blah..Blah...

You have to look at the Facts as the Experts (Who have wrote as to GT's Brutal Schedule) do...No DOUBT We need a couple of Patsies with the BRUTAL slate we play....

disgraceful is..

how you seem to always make unnecessarily harsh negative comments while rarely praising anything.

are you sure that you are a fan?

we have a tough schedule, cant you acknowledge that? despite playing Samford. last year, UGag played Middle Tenn St (and not very well at that) and ended up number 3 in the country. why is it so disgraceful?

Re: disgraceful is..

The only reason Samford is on the schedule is that #1) MTSU backed out and #2) B/C the three game deal with Auburn had to be cut back to two games.

It is extremely difficult to get good games on the schedule. UCONN is a rising program and I think we will be happy with their quality, especially next time we meet. Also, if you look at our future schedule you will see some big name teams on the horizon.

Who do we have in the 05' season?

...sorry, i see this was already answered in another post.

BuzzCzar, maybe I'm not a fan. I've missed 2 home games since 1968. So I don't know if that qualifies me as a fan or not. As far as being negative, sorry, and I mean it, that it comes across that way. I suppose I could accuse others of looking at things through Gold color glasses, but that probably would not be true either. DB is paid huge amounts of money to help the program. When other teams back out, have conflicts, whatever, he is paid to do what is best for GT. Playing those 2 teams in the same year at home is just plain stupid. I will never understand why people do not realize we are in deep south football country. Those 2 teams might be the 2 best teams in the country but playing them will not help us build a better program. And now we have added Army. Yes, ugag, and probably everyone else plays at least one soft OOC game, but are these teams advertising in the paper, at movie theatres, and elsewhere to sell tickets? We could have grown more as a program, become better in the long run, if we had gone on the road to a big time opponent. Even if it meant no return game. FSU built that way, as did Miami, even ugag did it with Michigan in 65. I just no longer will accept everything coming out of GTAA as being the best thing ever, without reserving the right to question it. If that means I am not a fan to you, I am truly sorry.

Playing UCONN is fine in my opinion. Playing a I-AA team is not. We have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Should have tried to schedule a Louisiana directional or USF or UCF instead.

I'll refer both of you to the archives where you can read ad naseum about what schools have open dates on the weekends we needed to add games. This one is over and there are many, many reasons why the schedule looks the way it does. Can we please move on?

Well obviously we are in HUGE trouble. Ugag is adding a ton to our strength of schedule. A ton. Why would our ACC SOS be any tougher than the other ACC teams, unless them on our schedule is a lot tougher than we are on them? It would appear that even Wake is a tougher ACC opponent for the ACC than we are. And then of course Uconn & Samford, unless ugag really isn't that tough, must be really tough. But you are correct NCJ, if it is something you don't want to talk about the rest of us should not, so let us move on. Kidding.

A side note NCJ, all those closed or open dates, yes it would have required some thought and creativity on DB's part. Nuff said.

Texstinger....We DONT need another tough

OOC opponent on our schedule...You are obviously in a SMALL minority in thinking so..When experts across the country say we have a Top 5 toughest schedule this year and even tougher next year when we go to Auburn,Miami,VT....

With an ACC schedule every year in now the BEST conference in all of College Football and the Fact we play UGAG EVERY year...With Auburn AND Notre Dame as Future opponents...We have NO NEED to add anymore Tough teams to our Schedule....Your arguments are VERY flimsy and have NO validity...Unless you are smarter than the Experts such as Espn and others...You need to let it go!!! I gather You dont like Braine nor Gailey..But come up with something more Valid than this Schedule Drumbeat we hear from you constantly....Try and find something else you can critize about

Re: Texstinger....We DONT need another tough

And what was it the "experts" said about our basketball team BEFORE the season? You get the point. I just do not understand why people will not accept certain facts. I have some concerns with DB, but please tell me, since you seem to know my level of support, how many letters of encouragement I have written to Chan? Blind acceptance of some things is NOT helping GT. But I now let it all go. Good Luck. THWG

Really BW, last time. I do want to share that when I talked to DB once, he told me that the reason he wanted us to stay in the ACC (yes new ACC) vs. the SEC was because we had a better chance to win a MNC. So I am not sure if that means he thinks the ACC is not as tough as the SEC. He could tell you, or other experts. The new ACC certainly has the chance to be just as good if not better. Time will tell. I just pray to the Good Lord I live long enough to see the time when we don't have to advertise for ticket sales.

[ QUOTE ]
OOC opponent on our schedule...You are obviously in a SMALL minority in thinking so..When experts across the country say we have a Top 5 toughest schedule this year and even tougher next year when we go to Auburn,Miami,VT....

With an ACC schedule every year in now the BEST conference in all of College Football and the Fact we play UGAG EVERY year...With Auburn AND Notre Dame as Future opponents...We have NO NEED to add anymore Tough teams to our Schedule....Your arguments are VERY flimsy and have NO validity...Unless you are smarter than the Experts such as Espn and others...You need to let it go!!! I gather You dont like Braine nor Gailey..But come up with something more Valid than this Schedule Drumbeat we hear from you constantly....Try and find something else you can critize about

[/ QUOTE ]

BW, let it go. People can have negative opinions on things. It happens. Please lets not have another season of your policing of people's opinions. These "experts" you keep refering to are as qualified as any of us. Most of them are journalists who I would HARDLY call experts. Ease up already. The act is old and stale.

[ QUOTE ]
Really BW, last time. I do want to share that when I talked to DB once, he told me that the reason he wanted us to stay in the ACC (yes new ACC) vs. the SEC was because we had a better chance to win a MNC. So I am not sure if that means he thinks the ACC is not as tough as the SEC. He could tell you, or other experts. The new ACC certainly has the chance to be just as good if not better. Time will tell. I just pray to the Good Lord I live long enough to see the time when we don't have to advertise for ticket sales.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am as critical of Dave Braine as any person, But since Grade Gate, I at least can admit that they are taking steps towards improving a lot of things. Only time will tell though. I'm willing to see if Braine's ideas (chairbacks, etc.) will work over the next three years. I'm willing to wait and see. I still think he lacks management skills.

Let me start by saying I'm fully behind whoever is running the ship. I've always have and always will support Tech to the point of ulcers. I had concerns with CG's hire because I didn't think he would stick around long enough to really build the program (i.e. Bobby Ross, George O'Leary, etc.). I've come to realize that I can't worry about things like that. If he can build a respectable program, we can get quality replacements. I hope Homer Rice's legacy will be more on the Bobby Ross/Bobby Cremens line than Bill Lewis.

All this being said (off-topic), I cringe when we schedule a DI-AA team. I don't care how good they are. Until Duke and UNC show that they are a respectable win (and it hasn't been that long since UNC was there), I don't want to see patsy-games on our schedule. Samford, in my opinion, is a disgraceful scheduling. I am happy that we schedule UGAg every year and that we've rekindled the rivalry with Auburn and Notre Dame. I think we should play Auburn every year. On an 11 game schedule, we have 8 ACC games. I would like to see us drop Duke and pick FSU back up. I would like the three out-of-conference games to be of the utmost quality (UGAg, Auburn and another quality opponent). I grew up in Connecticut and am very familiar with UCONN. I used to go to Yale-UCONN games in New Haven every year. Football at UCONN was a joke. They're getting better, and Edsall is doing a tremendous job, but the game is better for them than for us. I'd rather play a Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, USC (West), Alabama, LSU, etc.

I know this type of schedule would potentially kill our record if we're not playing well, and essentially preclude any MNC chances unless everything lined up perfectly, but I'd rather see us playing the big boys. I do think it would help in recruiting, though. There would be more potential for National exposure, and no one could ever question our strength of schedule.

I realize that this is unrealistic and that even the perenial Top-10 teams play patsies. But this is one man's opinion and I'm just sharing it with you all. I feel the same way about the basketball schedule. I'd much rather play the schedule Michigan State had last Fall than the one we did. I would, however, prefer our Fall record to theirs.

well you can't have it both ways. in basketball, there are too many games for you to be "up" for each one. Thus, you schedule some games where you will likely win even if you don't bring your A game.

You're an idealist. Sure, wouldn't we all love to play and beat only the top 25 teams in basketball year in and year out? But that aint going to happen. Too much parity, too much uncertainty with injuries, and too many players having off shooting days, etc.

I prefer to be a pragmatist. I would much rather Tech be playing for a championship, having played a bunch of patsies than sitting at home having been beat by the best. This is especially true with the limited games we have in football.

The only problem with putting patsies on our schedule is we absolutely have to win them. But methinks that is still preferable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soapbox.gif

texstinger, I don't disagree with your basic point, that we don't need to play Samford. The point I was trying to make is we beat this thing to death months ago, including people posting schedules of every team you can think of, charts of when they had open dates, etc, etc, etc. I hope we never play another team that isn't D-1. But this year we got stuck in a bad situation due to Auburn backing out. But with Miami and VT on the home schedule it shouldn't hurt ticket sales and at least gives us a tuneup.

Back