Edge Replacement Construction

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Looks like they're ready to start work on the Edge Center replacement, the "Thomas A. Fanning Student-Athlete Performance Center." Sidewalks and a lane of Techwood will be closed starting tomorrow and running through March 2026. If you want to pay your last respects to the Edge, now's the time to do it. :-)

I wonder how fast the demolition will go - will we have a big empty corner of the stadium for the spring game in April?

JRjr

Looks like they're ready to start work on the Edge Center replacement, the "Thomas A. Fanning Student-Athlete Performance Center." Sidewalks and a lane of Techwood will be closed starting tomorrow and running through March 2026. If you want to pay your last respects to the Edge, now's the time to do it. :-)

I wonder how fast the demolition will go - will we have a big empty corner of the stadium for the spring game in April?

JRjr
Wait. You mean they're not going to implode it? I mean it seems like an obvious TECH thing. Let the rising junior class put together some explosives and blow the damn thing up. Extra credit.

NIL money can't come from GTAA. It was already raised and allocated before NIL became a thing.
I thought a big chunk was raised 1- 2 seasons ago? I read recently that Ole Miss had a big chunk of money earmarked for stadium renovations and then decided to use it for NIL instead.

I thought a big chunk was raised 1- 2 seasons ago? I read recently that Ole Miss had a big chunk of money earmarked for stadium renovations and then decided to use it for NIL instead.
Correct. Donations. And that can go to nil.

Sad that we moved our pregame to North Avenue last season because of a project that hasn’t begun until now.
This thread is about to get edgy. That was a helluva a miscalculation by Batt.

Sad that we moved our pregame to North Avenue last season because of a project that hasn’t begun until now.

North Ave pregame is great. I doubt they ever move it back.

Correct. Donations. And that can go to nil.
Not once it's already been donated and in the hands of GTAA. The school and/or athletic association cannot allocate money to NIL. Likewise, if what he said about Ole Miss is true, that is a major violation. They cannot use money already donated for NIL.

North Ave pregame is great. I doubt they ever move it back.
It ööööing sucks. We have plenty of room on the north end to have those festivities. We crammed it into North Avenue. The band marching in pregame is now a lesser event and less visible to fans.

A music stage should be at the bottom of a hill, not the top of it.

Not once it's already been donated and in the hands of GTAA. The school and/or athletic association cannot allocate money to NIL. Likewise, if what he said about Ole Miss is true, that is a major violation. They cannot use money already donated for NIL.
Call each donor. Inform them that the new college landscape of NIL has caused the GTAA to reassess the ROI on the renovations. Return the donation, asking that the donor consider re-donating with this in mind. TheTechWay follows up with a major fundraising push the following day. Bob's your uncle.

It ööööing sucks. We have plenty of room on the north end to have those festivities. We crammed it into North Avenue. The band marching in pregame is now a lesser event and less visible to fans.

Yeah, they pretty much wrecked the band’s pregame routine, which is typically the only pregame festivity that I participate in. Having them march up and down Techwood and play in the street isn’t working.

I don’t care much about all the other stuff - if it stays on North Ave, I just won’t go over there. We’ll see what happens once the construction is done in a couple of years - it would seem kind of empty to not have anything going on on the north end where most people approach the stadium.

JRjr

Yeah, they pretty much wrecked the band’s pregame routine, which is typically the only pregame festivity that I participate in. Having them march up and down Techwood and play in the street isn’t working.

I don’t care much about all the other stuff - if it stays on North Ave, I just won’t go over there. We’ll see what happens once the construction is done in a couple of years - it would seem kind of empty to not have anything going on on the north end where most people approach the stadium.

JRjr
It's also just generally prettier and more intimate feeling on the North end. The best part of the new festivities are the tents/tailgates on Tech lawn. That part should definitely continue either way.

Does the demo and rebuild also include the Hearn learning lab or whatever it was called ?

I gave the North Ave a fair and open minded chance. Enjoyed the Chris Janson concert and a few others. I went up and down North Ave every game. As I sit here today my opinion is that it was a way inferior tailgate experience than on the other side. I’m sure I’ll spend 10 minutes walking thru next season but the lack of space, seeing/hearing the band and seeing the team just isn’t worth it. And half the space on the Tech Green area is blocked off for VIP’s or recruits so you feel like they don’t even want you there. It is what it is so I’ll simply do what I want and the AA can do what they want.

They did a good job at North Ave, but I also prefer the Peter Park area more. I'll take my grandchildren up to North Ave once a year though.

Back