Dumb Recruiting Questoin

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
Can someone help me with something here? What do the stars actually mean? I mean, how many 5 stars are there, etc. The reason I ask is that I look at Djay Jones for example. He's ranked as the #67 safety if I read it right, but he's a 2 star. Manley is the #59 QB and he's a 2 star. But Anyaibe is ranked #62 at DT but he's a 3 star.

So what's up with that?

I tend to think these ranking are basically BS except for the top few kids at any position. I don't think anyone can be that objective and see enough film to really rank that many players. But at the same time, I'm curious about what their process is supposed to be. Can anybody help?

That has been MY contention along with

Spurrier and so many others ALL along..These rankings are SO bogus...The coaches (As it has been said all along) know who the real players are...I especially trust NFL type coaches such as Chan here at GT and Al Groh up at UVA in their judgement of Talent....Why would a Kicker with a leg as strong as Belcher be rated so low..As big John said..He imho WILL be a better kicker than The kid we lost to FSU....I mean these SO-CALLED recruiting gurus are making a LOT of money off of the BIG Schools that have a LOT of subscribers that make these guys rich....Ive learned not to worry who ugag or Fsu is signing..Just worry about our NEEDS and are we filling them....We are......I trust Gailey on his judgements as I did Ross...

Here\'s another bogus vote

The recruiting geeks are playing a fun little game whereby they stand to profit. Just as soon as they can figure out how to do it with a gamecube we'll all need one of those to keep up with their prognostications.

By the way, does anybody think that Mel Kiper and Matt Drudge may indeed be the same person? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

(sorry, I can't answer the OP's question)

No such think as a dumb recruiting question...

Only dumb people who ask recruiting questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biglaugha.gif

No-one can answer the stars question except the people who assigned them.

Re: My dumb answer.....

I've always thought that....

5 stars is equivalent to All American
4 stars is equivalent to All State
3 stars is equivalent to All Region
Don't know about 1 and 2 stars.

Hi nc, I've seen it explained/rationalized as follows:
5* Likely to start as true freshman.
4* Likely to start as sophmore and contribute as true frosh.
3* Likely to start as junior and contribute as soph.
2* Likely to start as senior and contribute as junior.

Considering how many variables there are to the above actually happening, you have to take it with a huge grain of salt.

***** = All-American/Immediate starter
**** = All-Region/Chance to start early
*** = All-State/Chance to
contribute early
** = All-County/Likely contributor
after ~ 1-2 years
* = All-Town/Neighborhood/Sleeper -
anonymous, shot-in-the-dark
longshot, prayer, hoops player,
injured for a whole season,
son/nephew of wealthy alum or
VERY late bloomer.

And, of course, it's all
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bsflag.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought that....

5 stars is equivalent to All American
4 stars is equivalent to All State
3 stars is equivalent to All Region
Don't know about 1 and 2 stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Contact, you are way off here. A 4 star kid in most people's publications is a LOT LOT more than just a kid that made All State. 4 star kids are typically littered through tons of All America lists. Darius Walker is a 3 star recruit according to those services who is all world by many publications. He choose ND, over Stanford, Arkansas, GT, and other top D-1 schools. There are kids who were All State that have only 1 star. All Region kids who don't make All State teams rarely even get a 2nd star.

That's why I said it was my "dumb answer". I should have added 1st team to each - that makes it a little more realistic. If you throw in 2nd team, 3rd team, and Honorable mention then it does water down the argument.

All-State could mean 2 very different things. If you're All-State in FL it's very likely that you're a much better player than an All-Stater in AK. So, there's further proof of my "dumb" answer.

The recruiting sites give 2 stars freely - basically, anyone commit to a D1A school gets bumped up to 2 star if they're not already.

By the way, I didn't make this up completely out of the blue - I've seen it on one of the recruiting websites before (not recently, though).

Regardless of who is and who isnt off base...

The BOTTOM line IS;: The recruiting rankings are 90+ % BS...And for the fans that put a lot of stock in them , they are fools.....

Re: Regardless of who is and who isnt off base...

[ QUOTE ]
The BOTTOM line IS;: The recruiting rankings are 90+ % BS...And for the fans that put a lot of stock in them , they are fools.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?? I would like to see a study done on this. I would tend to agree and disagree. While the recruiting rankings CAN be BS, they can also be a very good indicator of talent. Depends on the individual. You could probably do a study that shows both sides of the equation, but I would doubt that the BS is up to 90%... probably more like 25-30% BS. You just hope that the kids they got you rated for fall in that 25-30% exception. But it's funny how we can say that the rankings are BS and then are overwhelmed with joy when a guy like Calvin Johnson commits to Tech.

Yeah, I can buy that. I think they get the top few guys right (don't know how many "few" means) and probably the D-2 guys. In between, how could they be as accurate as the portray? How can they possibly tell the 100th best Safety from the 60th? It just doesn't make sense.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

CALVIN JOHNSON AND DAVID BROWN COMMITTED TO TECH. THEY ARE THE GREATEST RECRUITS SINCE SLICED BREAD BUT CLEARLY THEY ARE DIAMONDS IN THE ROUGH. OUR COACHES FOUDN THEM AND IN SPITE OF THEIR HIGH RANKINGS THE ONLY REASON I AM EXCITED IS BECAUSE I SAW THEM PLAY IN PERSON MANY TIMES THIS YEAR AND I KNOW HOW GREAT THEY ARE.

RECRUITING GURUS ARE STUPID BECAUSE THEY ARE OBVIOUS PAID EMPLOYEES OF "THE MAN" WHO IS TRYING TO KEEP ME DOWN.

Check out the new GT PRO board.

I agree completely....

especially the part about the difference between the 60th and 100th best safeties. And who's to say that by the time they enroll the next fall the 100th will not be bigger and faster. The rankings are good INDICATORS - but that's about all. Even the 5 stars have to prove themselves at the next level. So far none of them have showed us ANYTHING in terms of D-I college football except potential.

Was talking about that today

If a school gets the 15th best WR, but misses out on the number 1 ranked WR, they ended up with probably a 4 star and not as highly ranked recruit... Out of all the WR going from high school to college, and someone is considered the 15th best, how much better could that #1 receiver be? In all reality, how many catches will the top receiver make that the 15th will not? How many games will a team lose because their's was only the 15th best receiver? You would have to think that there cannot be that much to differentiate between the two.

Re: Was talking about that today

Therein lies the problem. Say a recruiting service does a study on a years worth of 5-1 star players and tracks where they go and how they perform during their 4-5 years in college. At the end of the study, how will they report it? Will they say that a poor performing 5 star only did so because his supporting cast was lacking? or that a breakout 2 star did so because he was surrounded by studs?

It's like brokers who make stock predictions: You're really only going to hear about the big winner stocks they predicted and not the other side.

Back