Duke competes with GT for football recruits.

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
An interesting little ditty from the AJC on Duke going after the same type Ga players that Tech is after. The Devils haven't taken anything away from Ga Tech, but they sure are picking up some Ga players. Duke has 7 commitments from Georgia, which is probably more than they've taken from this state in the past 7 yrs. Ted Roof has always known where the players are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
The AJC notes that Tech had 1 recruit come in this weekend, the kicker, Belcher, from Albany.

Duke's after Georgia players

It is only natural that Ted will get recruits

from this state as ALL his ties are in this state..As Oleary when he came to GT brought in players from the North East where his ties were...

The article said (And it will be very true) he will not steal many of the Good recruits from GT...But he could upgrade Duke football by getting recruits from This state that are just a couple of notches below what ugag and GT get...Im pulling for Ted at Duke as i am for Oleary at Ucf...

Re: It is only natural that Ted will get recruits

Duke has always picked up a couple of recruits from GA every year. Usually from the ATL area. They obviously have more this hear, due I'm sure to Ted and Glenn's connections, but they have always tried to recruit GA. I think there are 6-7 GA players on last year's roster, although I haven't rechecked.

This was supposed to be a Ga Tech recruiting report but our BEAT writer turned it into a Duke article instead. He only referred to our recruiting as it pertained to our head to head recruiting against Duke.

Uga's Beat writer was all about the dogs as this article should have been. But he told us for the fortieth time that Roof had hired David Kelly and Glenn Spencer in an article that should have been directed on what was going on with Tech's recruiting.

Now he made a big deal about Duke beating us out for Davis but I learned from a reliable source that we only had one opening for DB's and that we were holding Davis off until we heard from Jones.

I don't know but what Davis would have gone to Duke anyway but I don't think so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrinbounce.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Duke has always picked up a couple of recruits from GA every year. Usually from the ATL area. They obviously have more this hear, due I'm sure to Ted and Glenn's connections, but they have always tried to recruit GA. I think there are 6-7 GA players on last year's roster, although I haven't rechecked.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true...they have always had a few metro area kids...as did WFU.

The two most prominent that we passed on in the late 90's, and both went to the NFL...were Patrick Mannelly from Marist (went to Duke) and Calvin Pace ?from Douglas Co? (went to WFU).

Each time we thought they were too "thin hipped".

Just goes to show that you never know. Hindsight is always 20/20.

The pro ugag/sec LOCAL media wants ..

To keep us associated with the Duke's of the Football world..It eats them up to see us Get Calvin Johnson/David Brown whom ugag wanted badly...If we pull off snagging Brandon Miller and or Jae Thaxton...It will drive them bananas.....I think we have the Potential to really get several players each year that ugag usually gets..What with Chan being Homegrown and committed to this state and the SE..Quote: Dan Reeves when Chan was hired "Chan loves this state and WILL be good at recruiting Georgia" I will never forget that quote....We are THIS year in his 2nd FULL year of recruiting making huge progress in this state....I want to see these sec/ugag media types squirming....

[ QUOTE ]
Calvin Pace ?from Douglas Co?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't mean to be too picky, just to help out:

Calvin is a Lithia Springs HS alum.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Calvin Pace ?from Douglas Co?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't mean to be too picky, just to help out:

Calvin is a Lithia Springs HS alum.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the answer...that is why I put in the ?

Is Lithia Springs in Cobb County or Douglas County?

Duke also grabbed

Chris Davis from Marist a speedy athlete. Tech offered but he chose Duke. Good speed seemed like a player to me.

Im hearing from some..That Djay Jones was..

the coaches preference and that we waited UNTIL Djay committed and did not want to sign 2 more safties..In other words it was Djay Plan 1 and Chris plan 2..Things are not always as they seem. So it would seem we got the one of the two we wanted in Djay..ENOUGH Dbacks we dont need anymore this year....

Lithia Springs is IN Douglas County.

I believe he was clarifing Lithia Springs High from Douglas County High.

Re: Lithia Springs is IN Douglas County.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe he was clarifing Lithia Springs High from Douglas County High.

[/ QUOTE ]

thx...I realized that. I just want to know where the heck Lithia springs is...Cobb or Douglas Co. I lived in Atlanta 32 years and still don't know.

that is b/c it is in BOTH

part of Lithia Springs is in Douglas Co as well at Cobb Co.

This is also true of Atl which is in both Fulton and Dekalb Counties.

Back