Chris Mortenson of ESPN and his thoughts on Chan Gailey

ylojk8

Helluva Engineer
Chan Gailey, Georgia Tech --

He did one of the best jobs of coaching in the ACC (consider that he beat Maryland, North Carolina State and Auburn and should have beaten Florida State with a true freshman at QB) and his resumé is impressive. Even his work as Cowboys head coach (two playoff seasons in two years) during the post-Switzer era should be respected. He has a creative side to him (see Kordell Stewart's best years in Pittsburgh) yet plays every game specifically to win, as opposed to trying to razzle-dazzle everyone. Always will find a way to run the football with success. His time in Dallas and at Georgia Tech (where an academic controversy put him under scrutiny) gives him the preferred thick skin.

http://espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s/2003/1211/1683912.html

found first on the hive

YLO....

Now what will happen with an Accurate post like this IS that you wont have the same ole few Wrecked,Stateline,Beeware,Mstech exct..responding over and over again and with it being a positive post it wont provoke too many folowup replys....

It is the same ole Negative post like Wrecked just post that get ALL the responses and keep it up at the top for ALL to see..

I guess i am super positive as ive been accused of BUT the Negative FEW on here seem to scream the loudest and get the most responses and TAKE OVER this board more often than not

Originally posted by law_bee:
maybe we should ask the reporter in Idaho what he thinks?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">so that folk like wrecked can form "legitimate" opinions.

c'mon

Nice that he speaks of Gailey before Richt, who is also a good coach.

Richt deserves all his accolades - even if I don't like him. So none of this is intended as a slam to MR - only a chance to gives props to Gailey. Being mentioned before MR is a compliment - even if the categories are diffferent in the article.

For anyone who wishes we had a coach like MR - remember we do - he is in a different situation and has had to face a lot more obstacles to get to the same place. I'd say watch out as the talent gap closes.

It is interesting that when you talk to people all across the country, and I do, they recognize Tech as a great program and they think the world of Gailey.

Not enough of our fans realize how lucky we are to have him.

I say again - as time goes by - the talent gap will close and the games will change - against UGA and against the rest.

That's funny.

Before I could write and post my POSITIVE post, you already had a few posts discussing it.

Ylo...

When reading that article about Gailey that reminds me of my thoughts when we first hired him...I thought if he came here and he had success would we lose him again to the NFL if a Head Coach Vacancy came up....I quickly learned that he was here to stay...He loved the State and wanted to return for good...Then i started worrying about his buddy Dan Reeves and that he could and probably would ONLY take that NFL job if it opened up....I think the timing of the firing of Reeves is a Blessing for GT..In that Chan hasnt been here long enough to get us to the upper echelon YET...And flunkgate set him back some...Now if this Falcons thing would have come up 1 to 3 years from now we Might of stood a chance of losing him....so here is to the next Falcon's coach being a good one and staying with the Falcons for many years.....

Speaking of Mortenson, his son and the media have made a big point out of the fact he opted for Ark instead of BYU. Reason given is that BYU won't play for nattional championship.
I have news for him; as long as Nutt keeps playing the sisters of the poor for OOC games, neither will Ark!

Actually, the article from Idaho was an excellent one.

The remarks "making a person responsible for his actions" has been recognized long ago as the best method.

It might be true some have to adjust, but it works much better than having to look over each person's shoulder all the time to see if they are doing their job.

When you see someone taking advantage of the situation, you only have to deal with that one person, and you don't have to punish everyone for somebody else's neglect.

As for an education, anyone really interested in education will take every opportunity to study and pass. Those that must pass to play sports will buckle down and study if they want to play bad enough.

One problem with the public education system in high school and college are the few teachers and professors that are unflexible.

When any student tries his hardest and misses the mark by a point or two, the teacher or professor should allow that student to do extra work to gain those couple of points. This should be for regular students and SAs.

After all, the whole idea of school is to learn, not to pass or fail someone.

Father Time

For what it's worth, and for better or worse, for some reason I beelieve that GT is Gailey's last stop.

I agree ahso. You must ignore a lot of real world experience if you think that you have to be a hardliner to keep kids in school.

There are some kids who need to be babysat. The kind of kids (not unlike my own father) who tend to be a little directionless until they join the military.

Then there are other kids who do not need that. Most of us who made it through GT did it without external motivation. This is not for everyone (look a Carter and his success at Navy after mediocrity at GT)

Is it possible that most of the kids O'Leary needed to babysit probably flunked out already? Is it possible that the other 70 SAs who made it with(out) Carol Moore's help should be able to do just fine now? Surely even Wrecked would agree that the current system is better than the Carol Moore one it replaced. What kind of person would assume that the current system will be a failure with zero evidence?

I'm not saying it is better than O'Leary's, just different. There is probably some validity to the thought that Chan's system would eliminate a few recruits O'Leary might have taken. But it also might keep a few guys around that O'Leary would have run off or buried on the Depth Chart with his gruff persona.

We shall see...

Originally posted by GTCrew:

Surely even Wrecked would agree that the current system is better than the Carol Moore one it replaced. What kind of person would assume that the current system will be a failure with zero evidence?

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ha .. you're expecting too much from Mr. Wrecked.

how will he agree that the current system is better than the Carol Moore one it replaced when he don't even know who we replaced Carol Moore with and what steps is that person taking to rectify and remedy the situation.

Also, other than demoting Carole Moore, what is the system in place to insure ten more players don't flunk out?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">http://www.stingtalk.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007994

he keeps in touch with the goings on in Georgia Tech by reading the Idaho Statesman.

Chan was hired on a handshake deal. He committed to GT for 5 years. I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon.

I hope Gailey does well and I hope he is here for a long successful run.

Gailey wants to be in Georgia and Loves GT...That is a BIG advantage for GT...Since Bobby Dodd we have not had a Good Coach that was COMMITTED to GT and wanted to stay here...Now Curry fooled me when he took the Alabama job BUT it really was a blessing for GT...Ross has always been a nomad on a 5 year plan everywhere he has been..A Maryland guy warned me of that when he came here...

Uga wanted Gailey when their opening came up and would NOT wait on him as he insisted as he did to Braine/Gt that he finish out his current commitment to the Dolphins...That to me shows a great deal of character....The only job i feel that Gailey would consider would be the Falcons job...as he wants to stay in this his home state...The thing is too, that there are a lot of teams both in college and the NFL that most certainly would Love to have Gailey and because he loves this State and wants to here bodes well for GT...By the way Chris Mortensen has always loved Chan Gailey...i remember him talking Gailey up way back when.....

With as many as 10 openings in the NFL, Chan may very well be given some consideration for a Pro position. Miami and Atlanta will be openings he has connections to. If the job at Tampa Bay or Jacksonville ever becomes open he may get some attention from them as well.

Go Jackets!

Jerry it is well know with those close to him that he wants to stay in the state of Georgia and although hopefully as he becomes more and more successful each year here at GT there will be rumors there should be NO danger of us losing him...The key IS that the Falcons get this New hire right....It really shouldnt be that hard...The Falcons can get a decent but not great coach and Vick if he stays healthy will ensure the new head coach some success.... If Vick didnt get hurt this year..reeves would probably still be coach.....

I feel real good about our chances of keeping Gailey here for a long time...Of course if he is successful here as i think he will be over the next 2 to 3 years!!!!

Another point..Unlike the young Bucks like Stoops and Saban...Gailey has coached in the NFL for a very long time and has got his fill of it and wants to stay in his home state his last 12 to 15 years before he retires....

Chan is not going to the NFL. I hope he succeeds here and retires here with great accolades. That would be tremendous for our program.

Don't fret about him going to the NFL as a head coach. Won't happen.

I also read and i believe it, that the NFL is growing weary of hiring college Coachs as the last couple have NOT worked out...Steve Spurrier and Butch Davis...Of course Gailey or Carroll are not typical as they both have been successful at the NFL level...But i agree with you that Gailey will NOT take an NFL job....

What worry's me somewhat is this Spurrier rumor to UNC...We imho will already be in the toughest division in all of college football...UNC could and would contend for National Titles under Spurrier....

Originally posted by ahsoisee:

One problem with the public education system in high school and college are the few teachers and professors that are unflexible.

When any student tries his hardest and misses the mark by a point or two, the teacher or professor should allow that student to do extra work to gain those couple of points. This should be for regular students and SAs.

After all, the whole idea of school is to learn, not to pass or fail someone.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahso, you're nothing but a dam liberal!

Back