CG says 110% SURE Reggie is his QB...

law_bee

Dodd-Like
http://mb5.theinsiders.com/fthehivefrm1.showMessage?topicID=27597.topic

[ QUOTE ]
At lunch bunch today i had the opportunity to ask Coach Gailey, "if Pat Carter continues to improve and show great abilities will the starting QB position become open this Fall." And Coach Gailey gave a definite, "No" answer. He made it 110% Clear that Reggie is the starter and that Pat Carter improving and staying healthy only means that he will step up into another position, because as Gailey said he is too good of an athlete to sit on the sidelines.

[/ QUOTE ]

The average fan has a difficult time judging QB play b/c even if the ball is completed it may be a poor play. The QB has to make the CORRECT READS!

Although CG had made some comments prior to spring it became clear once spring started that Carter was competing against Logan and NOT BALL! I think Reggie came into spring prepared and as long as he continues to work hard he will be our QB for the next few years.

Like what CG said I see carter being moved to another position.

I am glad to hear that CG is firm in his decision to start Reggie. We don't need another QB controversy this year.

So, where do you guys think they will stick Carter?

He can say that now...

He can say that now... but if Carter surpasses Ball in ability, the pressure is going to become overwhelming to move Carter to the starting spot. Right now, Chan can say whatever he wants. Tech isn't losing any games right now. Wait until mid-season. We'll see how 110% sure he is then. God knows, I hope at that point Reggie is still the starter and we are undefeated, but to think that things are written in stone at this point, DESPITE what Chan says, is just naive.

Re: He can say that now...

Just to play devil's advocate, how would anyone know that Carter had surpassed Ball in ability? I mean I get it, if we aren't moving the ball people will be calling for a change. But how does a backup prove they have more ability than the guy getting all the reps and playing time?

we need WR\'s BAD!!!.....

if Carter is so fast we should put him in as a slot receiver. If we don't find someone that can get some separation from the DB you can have Montana back there and it will NOT make a difference.

Re: we need WR\'s BAD!!!.....

If we keep moving QBs to other positions we are gonna have a hard time recruiting kids that wanna play QB...

Re: we need WR\'s BAD!!!.....

changing players positions in college is nothing new. landry is now a starting safety, bilbo will be a significant receiver this year according to chan. all he needs to do is get in better shape and used to all the running involved in being a receiver. bennett seems to be our qb of the future and the plans are to redshirt him this year if we are injury free. this should not affect our recruiting at all. remember only one qb can be on the field at a time and these kids want to play so being switched may not seem as bad as it may seem on the surface.

If we see the Reggie of the first 6 games....

there won't be a controversy. If we see the Reggie of the last 6 games, there will be a QB controversy. Gailey can move Carter to outer Mongolia and that's not going to prevent one if our QB is ranked last or next-to-last in the ACC like 2002 and 2003.

Re: If Chan says Reggie is our QB, then

I am 110% behind him. Chan is one of the best fooball coaches in America and he knows a lot more about QB's than I do. And guess what, he knows more about QB's than anyone else who has posted on Stingtalk. I liked how Carter looked, but Chan says Reggie is our QB, and that's good enough for me.

well that seems sort of pigheaded of him

I'm sorry but that's Gailey's dumbest statement yet.

If the question was if Carter continues to improve will he overtake Ball and the answer was 110% no....then that's just flat out stupid.

If he progresses to the point where he's better then Ball and you don't start him, then you're as dumb as Jim Donnan not playing David Greene for Quincy Carter in 2000.

I'm baffled. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif

Re: well that seems sort of pigheaded of him

You're taking one person's memory of a private conversation with the coach way too seriously. Chan hasn't made any public statement on the QB situation that I've seen. the question posed, best I can tell, was whether improvement by PC would put the QB position in question. Gailey said no. He has said in the past that Carter has possibilities at other positions. So whether the person who posted the report was interpreting Gailey's comments correctly or not is a question... and whether Gailey interpreted the question the way the poster meant it is as well.

My guess is that Gailey was saying if Carter can stay healthy we would prefer to find him a position where he can contribute rather than being the backup QB. He is expecting Reggie to be the starter. IF Carter demonstrated that he's a better QB than Reggie then all bets are off IMO, but Gailey certainly isn't going to say that in public, especially when talking about a kid who has been injured pretty much ever since he arrived on campus.

Back