A writer on Southern Pigskin Magazine suggests

BLACK WATCH

Helluva Engineer
That the ACC may not be finished with Expansion...I dont see us expanding anytime soon but would not be shocked if it came up a few years down the road..(I still believe we would take Notre Dame and Florida in a Heartbeat).. But who knows...He mentions Uconn, Rutgers, South Carolina, Notre Dame or Florida as possibilities.... I believe it would be remote but you never know....Thoughts??

Unless the NCAA begins defining the conferences or setting requirements for what makes a conference, I don't see us expanding any more. If we, or any 12 team conference were to get any bigger, that would make it even harder to play all the teams in your division/conference.

12's a nice number IMHO

While I don't see the ACC expanding anytime in the near future, that is unless the Big 12 or SouthEasternCheaters decide to try to expand first, I think that the conference would be more likely to pick up a team further north (yuck) to make BC and the other yankees have shorter trips. So my money would be on the ACC going after UCONN, ND, Syracuse, or maybe Pitt. As for my own preference, I'd like to see and ACC with UF, or USC where they belong. And as for Rutgers.. why would any conference invite them in, besides the fact that they suck at football which the conference has made a priority, they're in New Jersey and no one wants to say they're even driven through there!

Like I said though, theres no way expansion is going to happen for a long time, but Im starved enough for sports I bit. Mmmm, idle speculation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

Well, according to multiple quotes from Spurrier, UF belongs in the ACC. The other school in addition to those mentioned that would fit, but yes, it is a long shot, is Penn State. I don't think USC could get into the ACC. They wouldn't really bring anything to the table like UF, Penn State, Syracuse, etc.

It is a pity that South Carolina is not in the ACC where it belongs. I know that all things change in the name of progress but goodness knows that college football is built on tradition. Frankly, I am not sure that we may all come to regret the expanded ACC sometime in the future especially if Tech finds itself mired in mediocrity. That is not to say we haven't done the right thing for the moment because the ACC has pulled off quite a feat in luring football powerhouses Miami and Virginia Tech. I just hope we don't get left behind because the ACC has gone from being just average on the national radar screen to one of the truly elite conferences. We must improve our recruiting. The results of the last 3 years will not get it done in this conference. Just one fan's humble opinion. As always, THWG

[ QUOTE ]
I just hope we don't get left behind because the ACC has gone from being just average on the national radar screen to one of the truly elite conferences. We must improve our recruiting. The results of the last 3 years will not get it done in this conference. Just one fan's humble opinion. As always, THWG

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree, just another one of the reasons that Im glad to see we're recruiting more southern boys. In my mind thats one of the things that we really have going for us compared to the rest of the ACC, us and clemson to a lot lesser extent are the only real "deep south" schools, and thats going to have a big draw with a lot of the talent from around here that wants to play in the new ACC.

We already have a Tobacco Road, I guess we should go ahead and shoot for an Orange Belt.

The Heck with the CaraWhina Mafia...

I would rather have the Orange Belt instead of Tobacco Road monicker...I sure hope the ACC doesnt award Charlotte with the ACC Title game and it goes to a Florida Site...

Re: The Heck with the CaraWhina Mafia...

Just a contrary opinion here. While I don't like the way Duke and UNC in particular try to hold the league hostage, if it weren't for Tobacco Road there wouldn't be an ACC. And personally I think Charlotte would be an awesome stadium for the ACC Championship game. Now Florida would be better weather in all likelihood and depending on which FL site you end up with it would probably also have more night life.

But let's be careful we don't go from the Carolina schools dominating things to handing it off to Miami and FSU to tell us what to do.

NcJacket..I can understand your point and appreciate it...But ive grown so tired through the years to the Bias in our conference toward the North Carolina schools... And im particularly going to enjoy us shedding the Basketball only Conference label to now Football Power Conference...Let's face it we have The State of Florida to thank for that...Im hoping that politics dont rule and we further enhance our Football recruiting by putting that ACC Championship game in the State of Florida...

[ QUOTE ]
Just a contrary opinion here. While I don't like the way Duke and UNC in particular try to hold the league hostage, if it weren't for Tobacco Road there wouldn't be an ACC. And personally I think Charlotte would be an awesome stadium for the ACC Championship game. Now Florida would be better weather in all likelihood and depending on which FL site you end up with it would probably also have more night life.

But let's be careful we don't go from the Carolina schools dominating things to handing it off to Miami and FSU to tell us what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

ncjacket
Old Gold Member
Reged: 06/17/02
Loc: Greensboro, NC

I think we know why you want it in Charlotte.

Some of you guys ought to write political speeches

with the spin you put on things.

I think and have thought for a long time that the complaint about a "Carolina Mafia" is just an excuse for not getting your way. It's easier to complain about a conspiracy against you than it is to admit that you just didn't have a good enough argument. And even if there is a "Carolina mafia" can you say with a straight face that we wouldn't be trying to hold on to control of the conference if we had it, and especially if we had been key cogs in making it what it is and had had control for 50 years? C'mon.

And if ANYONE held the conference "hostage" it was UVA, by practically extorting votes to get VT in. And believe me when I say, I am probably the biggest Hokie fan on this board.

Re: Some of you guys ought to write political speeches

Hey, my font is NCjacket, so I don't hide anything. And I'm not saying Charlotte would be the best place for a championship game but I wouldn't want politics to rule it out either. One thing to remember, in NC the ACC is KING. Is that true in FL?

Hey...I hear what your saying....As for myself..I want what is best for the conference and I truly have a conviction that The site should be in Fla..And would be best for the ACC...If it was in Charlote we run the risk of Bad weather and when the Sec has a Dome stadium and that is never a factor..We do NOT need a Cold Rainy Game..We need our game to be AS successful as their game....I realy believe that in Florida it would only help the ACC in recruiting also.IMHO...

For convenience, I like Jax because it's 2 hours away from me. However, we would also play the Championship game in the Gator bowl and the loser then would most likely go right back there in a month. Charlotte provides a new venue right in the middle of ACC country and would be something different. I could go either way really. Jax is nice, but it's not practical because of our deal with the Gator Bowl. Plus, I believe Charlotte is the bigger city.

So answer me this, Miami and FSU both recruit FL heavily of course. Clemson and Tech do as well. Every high school player in the state knows who the schools in the ACC are. When we add Miami to the mix they will begin to see some of the teams they don't now. So exactly what does playing a championship there do for the league? Does playing the SEC championship game in ATL help the SEC recruit GA? I don't think so.

The added Hype of a game in say the

Orlando area will help...Football is so dominant down there and with all the Promotion locally it will bring added attention to the ACC....Of course it will also bring National attention BUT The city down there that gets the game will promote it just like Atlanta does locally for the sec game....High School kids are very impressionable and IMHO it would help....I think you are underestimating the influence the sec game in Atlanta has on High Schoolers here in Metro Atlanta...I have a High School Athlete and it, Being the sec Title game (It pains me to say) IS Huge here in Atlanta...All the kids talk about it...Actually at our Gym during a key High School BBall game it is on TV in the gym during a sold out Bballgame...
This recruiting thing is only a small piece IMHO in the benefits of the Game being in Fla...In the absence of a Domed stadium in North Carolina The State of Florida makes most sense weather wise for a December game...That is the MAJOR reason Birmingham lost the sec game to the Georgia Dome...NOBODY in the ACC league office would cherish a Game with a Hard Rain and tempertures in the 30's Again I Have NO political interest in where it is played , but i Truly believe all in all it would be IMHO best for the league to be in Florida...Tell me what would be attractive to any College Football Team Going to Orlando or Going to Charlotte in December ??

Re: The added Hype of a game in say the

The weather thing I understand completely. I guess I'm just not convinced about recruiting edge. And I don't know that you can assume what a college football team would think about it. They're going to win a championship. It's not a bowl game. Also, don't underestimate what local committees, etc., can mean. I mean who would have thought that the kids would have enjoyed Boise so much?

The ACC championship game is about image.

Specifically, its about building the football image of the ACC. The ACC Tobacco Road basketball image is thoroughly established and holds a leading place in the nationwide image of college basketball. IMO, the NC "mafia" deserves much of the credit for building that image.

But they are not likely to be the epicenter for building the football image. Thus, despite the fact that Charlotte would be an excellent host city with an excellent venue, Florida is likely to help the ACC to create the best image of the power of ACC football.

This isn't a slam against Duke, Wake, UNC or NC St. In December, it would, IMHO, provide the most impressive image of the power of ACC football to have its championship game in Florida (Jax or Orlando). IMO, this might well force UF to strongly consider jumping into the ACC. I believe the Gators will be the 12th ACC team.

IMO, the only better image of ACC football power than Miami vs FSU fighting for the ACC championship
in Jacksonville, would be Georgia Tech fighting Maryland, for example, in the championship game - having beaten both Florida schools to earn their way into the championship game.

Back