2022 Recruiting

FIFY. Coach was doing it. Recruiting was on the upswing. Then the disgruntled got loud. Recruiting dropped off like a cliff.

It was not the record. Recruits were fine with the w-l so far. They were not fine with a fan base that eats its own without rational thought behind it. And that eats the players and their families.

Thanks.
This is moronic. So the drop in recruiting had nothing to do with losing the last two games by a score of 100-0 but everything to do with an old codger like myself coming on a message board and complaining because we were getting boat raced?

The reason we took a smaller class was because of transfers. Think the composite ranking is a better indicator because of that
As noted above, that is a crap ranking system. How do you re-rank a kid to a lower rating that was a 4* out of HS and redshirted last year prior to transferring? Transfer rankings are trash right now until somebody figures out a better system. Like others have said, if you want to crap on the #53 ranking, look at the last time we only signed 15 out of high school, we were in the 70s and didn't add anybody else via transfer. Our average star ranking and average player rating are around the 30 mark. Still much higher than the previous 10 years before this staff. They are still doing a pretty solid job recruiting IN SPITE of the crappy performance. If they can figure out how to win this year, we'll be able to hold on to those even higher rated kids.

As noted above, that is a crap ranking system. How do you re-rank a kid to a lower rating that was a 4* out of HS and redshirted last year prior to transferring? Transfer rankings are trash right now until somebody figures out a better system. Like others have said, if you want to crap on the #53 ranking, look at the last time we only signed 15 out of high school, we were in the 70s and didn't add anybody else via transfer. Our average star ranking and average player rating are around the 30 mark. Still much higher than the previous 10 years before this staff. They are still doing a pretty solid job recruiting IN SPITE of the crappy performance. If they can figure out how to win this year, we'll be able to hold on to those even higher rated kids.

Yeah, the class I was thinking of finished 70th on 247 and 84th per Rivals. Ouch

At least we got Butker.

Yeah, the class I was thinking of finished 70th on 247 and 84th per Rivals. Ouch

At least we got Butker.

Wow that’s terrible. Can’t believe we only managed the 70th ranked recruiting class. Luckily we managed to average 7.5 wins/year over the next four years with them…

the funniest part of doing this quick little research was the year that dragged the average way down was when we only won 3 games.

At least we got Butker.
Year. Ranking
2009. 49
2010. 43
2011. 41
2012. 57
2013. 84
2014. Orange Bowl Champions

Two star recruits that play/played in the NFL
Corey Griffin
Adam Gostis
Zach Laskey

As much as people crap on Johnson, he took kids that were overlooked and developed them into good players and winning teams. In contrast we had one of the worst defenses in the country this past year, with a self proclaimed defensive genius as HC, and the defensive backfield was a major problem yet we have two DB’s in senior showcase games……what does that say about the coaching?

Year. Ranking
2009. 49
2010. 43
2011. 41
2012. 57
2013. 84

Corey Griffin
Adam Gostis
Zach Laskey

As much as people crap on Johnson, he took kids that were overlooked and developed them into good players and winning teams. In contrast we had one of the worst defenses in the country this past year, with a self proclaimed defensive genius as HC, and the defensive backfield was a major problem yet we have two DB’s in senior showcase games……what does that say about the coaching?
Wow that’s terrible. Can’t believe we only managed the 70th ranked recruiting class. Luckily we managed to average 7.5 wins/year over the next four years with them…

the funniest part of doing this quick little research was the year that dragged the average way down was when we only won 3 games.

So you guys were complaining about where the 2022 class is ranked. Then I give you some facts and you immediately switch back to "recruiting rankings don't matter." Make up your minds.

And I've never disputed that Paul Johnson could coach.

So you guys were complaining about where the 2022 class is ranked. Then I give you some facts and you immediately switch back to "recruiting rankings don't matter." Make up your minds.

Not my point at all. Johnson has some crappy recruiting rankings but was able to develop the talent, Collins has had some good classes and the talent has left or hasn’t been developed. The piss poor pass defense this past year while having DB’s getting looks in showcase games is a great example of this.

Not my point at all. Johnson has some crappy recruiting rankings but was able to develop the talent, Collins has had some good classes and the talent has left or hasn’t been developed. The piss poor pass defense this past year while having DB’s getting looks in showcase games is a great example of this.
Apples to Oranges when you factor in the option. I don't think any coach could take those recruits PJ had and "develop" them into a 7-8 win per season team with a more traditional offense. The 2014 team possibly, but that's an outlier and we had a bunch of underrated guys on that team which isn't typical.

I didn’t complain about this class’s rank, but others here have so I get where you’re coming from. I view recruiting rankings as a tertiary metric. Wins > point differential / multi season trends > recruiting rankings.

We’re 46th when 2022 and portal is combined. 7th in ACC
The rating system needs a refresh to adapt to the new age. I almost feel like the transfer portion of the rating needs to be netted.. Transfers in versus transfer out. Hard to feel good about bringing in say 5 transfers if you lost 15... but then some losses are a net positive if the player was either a bad apple or just stuck at the bottom of the depth chart with little hope of contributing. Not sure on the solution, but the current system has its flaws.

Tech's class was fine. Some good looking players, but certainly not what it could have been. Losses of Willis, Bonner, Gibbs and Ivey are all black eyes within this cycle that occurred since the season ended. Have to weight those negatives against the positive high school and transfer additions.

Year. Ranking
2009. 49
2010. 43
2011. 41
2012. 57
2013. 84

Corey Griffin
Adam Gostis
Zach Laskey

I liked your post until you started bitching and moaning. Every single post is a bitch session. Do you really have to do that? Yes. We get it. You don’t like Collins. But every single post? Why not just type the first half of your post and be done with it?

Corey Griffin
Adam Gostis
Zach Laskey

The coaches saw Laskey because they were at one of his high school games recruiting someone else (Jeff Greene, I think). They saw Laskey and said "maybe we need to take a look at him, too."

I liked your post until you started bitching and moaning. Every single post is a bitch session. Do you really have to do that? Yes. We get it. You don’t like Collins. But every single post? Why not just type the first half of your post and be done with it?
Because some people are STILL harping on "improved recruiting" as a way to defend Collins. It doesn't matter how much talent we bring in if they aren't coached. As an FYI I was ready for Johnson the leave and was excited about the enthusiasm that Collins brought to the program.

Now I'm pissed because we now have arguably better talent than Johnson had outside of his first two years but we have a lack of coaching kids up, just promises and platitudes that never change. I pissed because he throws fans under the bus for "not seeing the progress" and chastising them for complaining while not taking any ownership himself. I'm pissed because some of the best player and coaching talent that he brought in has been leaving but some want to blame the negativity of fans for causing the exodus. I'm pissed because the the stadium was 85% UGA fans and next year attendance is going to be more of the same because. outside of the rabid fans that populate message boards, the rest of the fanbase has gone from excited when Collins was hired to apathy and I can't blame them. I'm pissed because I don't think the current athletic administration has any answers.

Because some people are STILL harping on "improved recruiting" as a way to defend Collins. It doesn't matter how much talent we bring in if they aren't coached. As an FYI I was ready for Johnson the leave and was excited about the enthusiasm that Collins brought to the program.

Now I'm pissed because we now have arguably better talent than Johnson had outside of his first two years but we have a lack of coaching kids up, just promises and platitudes that never change. I pissed because he throws fans under the bus for "not seeing the progress" and chastising them for complaining while not taking any ownership himself. I'm pissed because some of the best player and coaching talent that he brought in has been leaving but some want to blame the negativity of fans for causing the exodus. I'm pissed because the the stadium was 85% UGA fans and next year attendance is going to be more of the same because. outside of the rabid fans that populate message boards, the rest of the fanbase has gone from excited when Collins was hired to apathy and I can't blame them. I'm pissed because I don't think the current athletic administration has any answers.
What's wrong with people trying to find positives in an otherwise dismal 3 years? I think everyone sees and acknowledges all the issues you bring up. But not everyone wants to be miserable and pissed off. Collins is just not a very good coach, but somehow, some way I hope he goes undefeated next year. What's wrong with cheering on the Jackets' head coach until the decision comes to terminate his contract?

Now that y'all had your discussion on the coaches, etc, it is time to leave this thread for discussing recruiting prospects for 2022. If you have any comments on upcoming portal 2022 prospects, do post, otherwise, go discuss in another thread not this one.

Don't make me do work cleaning up this thread.

Really a sad year for high school Seniors. The number of scholarships offered is greatly reduced due to the transfer portal. The four and five star kids and high 3’s get offers. But, as a high school football coach for 12 years, my son says that he has never seen fewer offers to good players. Coaches are telling players they either have to come as preferred walkons or go to a lesser school and prove themselves. Add to the situation the COVID backlog and these kids have really gotten the shaft. He had a WR with 19 TD’s this year - thirteen catches, two rushing, one pick six, two punt returns and one kickoff return. State and ECU want him to walk on, but his best offers will probably be HBCU’s or Southern Conference. In the past he would have definitely had a P5 offer.

It’s funny how the people who were touting recruiting ranking are now saying we don’t understand how rankings work when they’ve cratered
Recruiting rankings are like potential, they look great on paper and give people something to talk about, but they don't mean öööö unless your team is meeting expectations and winning.

Back