2018 Starting lineup?

Agree with this. I'd add that the potential is there to be excellent, but the QB position is still a massive question mark. I think our WR's and especially A-backs are competent enough to get open and catch it, but we have to be able to get them the ball.
Jeune was wide open for a TD against UGAg and Marshall threw into double coverage on the sideline instead.

I'm sure it's more about what the coaches saw in practice than in games.

I really wish I knew what CPJ thought about LJ and why he got so little PT. Whatever the hell it was, LJ needs to correct it in the offseason.

Hope you guys are right about the Offense being better, but our passing game could really really go downhill without Juene.

I doubt that. I would like for us to move to more of a time share like we did with Laskey and Days. I thought Howard looked great every time he played at BB (bad on ST), but PJ limited his snaps all season for some unknown reason.
fumblitis

I'm sure it's more about what the coaches saw in practice than in games.
Several times at the end of the season during his weekly show he mentioned having to get Jerry more carries and then he wouldn't follow through...very frustrating since Kirvonte was constantly looking to get spelled.

Several times at the end of the season during his weekly show he mentioned having to get Jerry more carries and then he wouldn't follow through...very frustrating since Kirvonte was constantly looking to get spelled.
It's hard to justify taking your most consistent offensive player out of the game when your offense is struggling to gain momentum. I understand CPJ's frustration there.

I really wish I knew what CPJ thought about LJ and why he got so little PT. Whatever the hell it was, LJ needs to correct it in the offseason.
No kidding. I remember reading practice reports on another site and it seems like they are always talking about how he just needs more confidence but they expect him to be the future at QB. I'm really disappointed that he didn't get in during the Duke or UGA games because that seems like the time to build some confidence - when we've basically already lost so there's no pressure to try and win the game. It's also a real shame that we didn't have a 12th game and an opportunity to make a bowl, because he could possibly have a month to get some 1st team reps and earn his way onto the field.

Jeune was wide open for a TD against UGAg and Marshall threw into double coverage on the sideline instead.

Marshall just didn't seem to have the arm strength to get the ball there without too much air underneath it - lots of under-thrown balls and opportunities for DB's to get back in position, along with the reads.

Joe Hamilton had the same problems early in his career, and he spent a ton of time in the off season with medicine balls to increase his arm strength.

I think he had only one and lost the ball in the sun against the Dwags on KO return. PJ buried him in the dog house after his fumble but did not handle Benson fumbling the same way. I guess because he was a freshman and needed to be taught a lesson. smh
How do you know what happens in practice? He could have fumbled a lot there.

No bowl to get excited about, time to start stupid way too early offseason posts.

Offense
QB- T Marshall:Sr/L Johnson:RSo
AB- Q Searcy:RSr
AB- C Lynch:RSr
BB- K Benson:RJr
WR- B Stewart:Sr
WR- J Camp:Jr
C- K Cooper:Jr
G- P Braun:Jr
G- W Bryan:Sr
T- J Lee:Jr
T- J Stickler:RSr

Defense
DE- D Branch:RSr
DE- A Saint-Amour:Sr
DT- B Glanton:RJr
DT- K Cerge-Henderson:Sr/B Adams:Jr
ILB- B Mitchell:Sr/B Jordan-Swilling:So
OLB- V Alexander:Sr
OLB- TD Toof:So/J Henderson:So
CB- L Simmons:RSr
CB- A Kerr:RSo
S- AJ Gray:Sr
S- J Johnson:RSr

If the 2018 offense isn't excellent then there is no excuse. Full of experience. Lost some veterans like Devine, Green, and Jeune, but their replacements may be just as good or better. The OL is stacked with veterans, if their experience doesn't translate into good blocking during games then things may come crashing down.

Lots more was lost on defense. The secondary was supposed to be a strength in 2017 with seniors like the Austins, Durham, and Griffin. In reality the 2017 secondary was just okay. Two senior defensive ends have also departed from a mediocre line. I think Simmons will be a serious loss. Freeman underperformed his entire career. Maybe would have been better at LB. Its hard to tell how good the 2017 secondary actually was when there was hardly any pass rush. For that reason I think that rebuilding the 2018 secondary is the least of our defensive worries. 2018 defensive performance will revolve around the defensive line, and its not looking good. Maybe Branch was playing out of position and will shine at DE, but would his DT replacement be serviceable? I think our best hope is for Branch to move to DE and get 10 sacks while a more mature Adams slides into DT and holds his own. Is that likely? No. Possible? Maybe.

In any case, 2018 will be pivotal for the Johnson/Roof regime.
There is no such thing as the Johnson/Roof regime. It's the Johnson regime, period. And who would have thought, if we played this game last December, that TaQuon Marshall would have started every game at quarterback. The fact is we have know idea who CPJ is going to put on the field anymore. Cerge-Henderson might take a few snaps under center.

Back