Your Football Play of the Year...

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
There are a few plays that stand out in my mind for this season.
1) Darius Williams' spectacular catch vs. Auburn
2) P.J. Daniels TD run at FSU
3) Jonathan Cox's fumble recovery vs. Auburn
4) Kenny Scott's blocked punt in Provo
5) Jonathan Smith show vs. UNC.

But none were bigger than Reggie Ball's bootleg in OT at Vanderbilt. The rason our team was able to turn things around from the 1-3 start and get to a bowl was because of that game. You could see the confidence in Ball after that run. I know we didn't play well to close out the regular season, but if we can play the bowl game like we played in mid-season form, then GT will return from Boise with a 7-6 record and a rejuvenated feeling.

Landry hitting like an all pro during the Maryland game, along with the rest of the defense. His hit on the receiver across the middle was wicked.

I loved Reggie knocking Bruce Thornton on his butt.

Ball to Curry to open the Auburn game was pretty special too.

Yep. Suter. The Merryland fans kept hollering to get the ball to him during the game. Supposedly runs a 4.35 40 as has a Ish type vertical. Couldn't seem to get away from that anvil that was dropped on him by Landry.

All of those were great moments. Hard to pick just one.

I would have to say that the adjustment by Nate to come inside the defender on Ball's fade pass in the endzone against NC State is one of the best plays all year. If Reggie threw it that way knowing Nate could read it, then props to both.

After that, GTfan1147 I'll take your 1-6 but also add Logan's catch at Auburn.

Three different fumble recoveries this year Key Fox wrapped his body around the person who recovered it to protect against all the ankle turning and scrotum stretching under the pile.

The small things that he and Smith did ALL year that most people don't even notice are amazing. Two heads up players that did so much so many times that one play doesn't even jump out.

Maybe Smith at Maryland making it to the sideline tackle for loss - or the first blitz sack against Clemson where he just planted Charlie Whitehurst. Probably the single most brutal hit a GT player layed on an opponent all year, including Suter across the middle (but excluding Foschi's hit on Ball).

Many times Fox and Smith ate people up at the goal line or behind the line of scrimmage.

Henderson going all out play after play after he looked like his chest would explode on the sidelines at BYU. He never could catch his breath, but you never could tell once the whistle blew. Gotta love the guy for that.

Agree with all, and thanks to Techfowl for his insight on plays that went unnoticed by me.

The one play that stands out to me however, was the Damarius Williams catch down the middle vs. Auburn. It is etched in like a Kodak moment.

Hopefully, there are some nominations STILL left to be displayed on 1/3.
smile.gif

JJacket, of course there were many good plays during the year, but as you have noted the hit on Suter by Landry is still fresh in my mind.

Sometimes a hit like that really makes a receiver lose his concentration on his remaining attempts at catching passes in a game. Since the game wound up 7-3, it could have been more of a key play than we realize.

Father Time

Of course it is all subjective,but THE play of year was the 54 yd pass to Curry that STUNNED Awbern and really set them on their heels for the game.That win then gave us the confidence for the rest of season.It may not have been the prettiest but it was the most important. imho

Originally posted by techfowl:
I would have to say that the adjustment by Nate to come inside the defender on Ball's fade pass in the endzone against NC State is one of the best plays all year. If Reggie threw it that way knowing Nate could read it, then props to both.

After that, GTfan1147 I'll take your 1-6 but also add Logan's catch at Auburn.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">fowl,

I think both of the above plays are very memorable.

I also think that Reuben Houston's interception in the endzone at FSU that he ran back to near mid-field, followed by P. J. Daniels outrunning the entire FSU secondary for a TD were also very memorable. The FSU fans went deathly quiet and they thought they were beat....and they damne sure should have been beat. But after we had squandered the lead and lost a game that we should have won...they acted like they won the Super Bowl.

Most impressive to me = Daniels run vs. FSU

Most important to the team = Reggie late game heroics vs. Vandy

You could argue that the play of the Defensive Front 7 vs. AU was the best group performance of the year.

Can't believe I forgot about that interception.

I was there and that INT brought life into our crowd after watching Rix drive down the field.

Great play.

Want to add props to the Field Goal unit....these are usually memorable for the wrong reasons! and I can only think of a miss against UNC and BYU maybe that was a disapointment...overall a great effort!

This year: The Darius Williams catch in the Auburn Game...

Last year: The Tony Hollings LONG TD run early in the Clemson Game...Again i often wonder What IF??

Back