Winning Head to Head battles with

techfowl

Jolly Good Fellow
UGA, Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Nebraska, South Carolina, Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland, UVA, Colorado, Arkansas, LSU, Miami, Florida, & FSU...

Great company to be in. Great programs to outrecruit. (some more than others)

Anyway - we have some stretches and some locks on talent, and as a whole it looks like a really great class. I'm sure somebody with offers from only Furman and GSU will end up being a star and somebody with offers from everybody could under achieve, but what a great day.

I'm proud to have all these guys.

A great trend I saw this year that Ive

never seen here at GT..We went down to the wire ON SIGNING DAY on 3 Great Players against the Big Boys..And we came away with 2 of the 3... That is a trend I expect to see every year....With Robertson and Richard coming on board today IMHO we signed at least on paper our Best Dline class ever or at least Post Bobby Dodd era........The first rave review has come in..In tomorrow's early Ajc release Hollis says "With the late signings of Robertson and Richard, the Yellow Jackets could end up with one of the Nations best Recruiting classes" We are not used to these rave reviews as far as recruiting here...Just neat to see the Good Press....

Re: A great trend I saw this year that Ive

Rivals currently has us #56 in their rankings AFTER today's activities - I don't get it????

Stinger92...See that is what im talking about with what 20 or 30 Recruiting Gurus (There are so many now days) you have someone rank this class 56....yeah right...Your telling me there are 55 Better classes than ours...Yeah if Fsu or ugag had our exact same class what do you think this Bogus Rivals bunch would rank them??? You got a good idea....

If you break it down on Insiders stats ...

it comes down to star rankings.

FSU (3.24), Miami (3.25), and NCST (3.17) averaged over 3 stars although NCSt will get killed in the rankings for only signing 17. If UGA signed a class with the same star rankings as NCSt and the same number they would be top 10.

Va was next nearly breaking 3 (2.94). UNC (2.86), Md (2.83), and VT (2.75) trailed slightly.

The rest are BC (2.53), GT (2.42), Clem (2.32), Wake (2.28) and Duke (2.04).

Clemson, Duke and Us signed far more 2 star guys than our conference brothers.

I am very, very happy with our class. If I get time this weekend I will go through each and explain why I like them without having seen them play.

To sum up a very disjointed post, In a shocking number of cases, Chan's Fr, So, and RFr (which were mostly two and three star guys) played as well as our own similarly ranked but older players. And they played as well or better than our opponent's higher ranked and more experienced players in most cases.

If Chan thinks they are worthy of giving a scholly to then they are capable of playing at the ACC level. We will play FSU's 'four stars' as close as we have been and we will have our hands full with Clemson's and Wake's 'two stars'.

I am worried about Md though, and I hope Groh is as bad of a field coach as I think he is.

Well, that all gets into just how many quarterbacks or running backs you can actually put on the field at one time and so on and so on.

I understand why we are ranked where we are because some of these guys loaded up with great depth, which we did also, but our big names are all at positions we needed immediate impact players and we got exactly what we needed.

We got some big boys, but I understand why we would be ranked behind on the star system. It all coems to whether Chan actually got more talent out of the two and three star guys like we hope.

There is a good chance that, particularly our OL signees, are a bit better than ranked, but who cares. They are Jackets now and I'm behind them.

I think we have great signees at some postions and I KNOW we do at others.

We got the Samuel L Jackson's (bad mo-fos) where we needed them most. I am extremely happy with the class, but expect us to be rated lower than we want to be, and actually perform up to the level we expect.

We have speed and size, and where we don't have size, we have the frames to build upon - see Robo - perfect example. I expect a redshirt out him this year and an ANIMAL his reshirt year after he puts on *many* pounds and keeps his speed - which is what Bowden was thinking, I'm sure. Right now he's a 6'5" 205lb *DE* who weighs less than every starter and 2 deep linebacker and safety we had last year. He will need to bulk up and retain his speed, which he will do.

Some of our OL will need some work, but seem to have all the right tools. Clearly Chambers, C. Johnson, and Richard may contribute and maybe Robo, Brown, and Anyaibe like some think.

Hell - maybe I'm wrong about all of it. I'm just going on stats and hearsay - I obviously haven't seen them play.

Be excited but realistic. We have a great class. Don't expect a guru looking at 117 teams to actually notice the degree to which we filled our needs or which 2 stars may be sleepers.

Agreed. Now, if we can get to the point where we aren't eliminated before we get to the Final 2 or 3, we'll have finally arrived in a big way.

Good class. Excellent close.

head to head

No doubt this class turned out much better than most of us hoped for just a few weeks ago. We have the kind of guys in this group that can keep us competitive with most everyone on our schedule. The key is to do it several years in a row as just one good class by itself will not come close to matching the depth enjoyed at Georgia, FSU, and the coming rivalry with Miami.
Our biggest problem remains that most of the top talent in-state does not even consider us. This forces us to recruit out of state, where recruiting successes will always be more inconsistent. Somehow we need to get improve our posture with the top kids in Georgia if we ever hope to recruit-and win--consistently.

Re: head to head

[ QUOTE ]
Our biggest problem remains that most of the top talent in-state does not even consider us. This forces us to recruit out of state, where recruiting successes will always be more inconsistent. Somehow we need to get improve our posture with the top kids in Georgia if we ever hope to recruit-and win--consistently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that all of it was that they didn't consider us, but that we couldn't consider them because of academics.

It seems that we're back on the star system which was kinda discussed on another thread. We've got to remember that the people assigning the stars are driven by $. Early signers don't help them because it's not as exciting toward the end which costs them money. If there's no one left to discuss and argue about where a player's going, the consumer doesn't need that service. There's also a monetary advantage in ranking the teams with a larger fan base higher because - well that's just self-explanatory.

It should tell us something when these recruiting services change the star ratings well after the football season is over. Did the player get better after the season was over?
No, it's because some of the bigger schools may be looking at him and their large fan base wants to know that they are recruiting players with a million stars.

You can probably tell that I don't subscribe to any of these services. As long as I can see a list of our commitments that shows position, height, weight, and speed (take that with a grain of salt), I'm happy.

even more misleading

is that schools offer too many scholarships (more than the allowed 25 signees) knowing that some will not qualify - yet, these "signees" are included in the class rankings.

then, next year, or two years from now - when that player comes back from JUCO (which can almost NEVER happen at Tech) they get included AGAIN in that years class

very skewed!! did i leave an "r" out there somewhere??

One of my Ugag friends last night at a HS Bball game was impressed at how we went head to head with ole ugag and won 2 out of the 3 battles..He brought it up and not me!!!

Very impressed with the close this year. I don't keep up with the recruiting process much but from everything I've read and seen, Gailey and the gang have put together a great class. Sort of fun to go down to the final day and win a few guys. Especially, as mentioned, against some of the top programs. I look forward to a great spring and seeing these gentlemen come fall.

"we went head to head with ole ugag and won 2 out of the 3"

I'm sorry, but I just don't get any comfort from such rational. When we look at the fact that the pups basically got their pick of the state's top talent, and that most of them didn't even consider us, we can't stick our head in the sand and say that all of that big-time talent was blocked by academics. Sure, a player or two might be, but for us to think that a huge portion of the better athletes in the state were not interested in our program is just not realistic. In state, 2 top players still had us in the hunt until the end and we got one of them. We wish we were in the hunt for many more than that, but something well before signing day prevented that. That's the issue I wish we could address.

Unfortunately, with the sad state of education in the state of Georgia, we probably couldn't go after most of the cream of the crop of the state. I'm afraid that once you leave the suburbs of Atlanta, the educational system of the state is woefully inadequate to perform at Tech's academic level.

First question to ask...

is what is their SAT score, second is what is their GPA. It they aren't 900 and 3.0 we can't touch them anyway.

Back