will the dome be ready on 9/4......

eg1

Dodd-Like
when they built the Astrodome (1st dome) they planned on glass panels in the roof to let light in and were supposed to have a real grass field. The contrast of the light to the structural parts made it hard to see fly balls so they painted the glass white. So then the grass died and they had to come up with Astroturf.
Rogers Stadium (formerly SkyDome) in Toronto has an actually functional retractable roof. Locals complain that the Blue Jays don't open the thing often enough, though. The operation reportedly takes 20 minutes.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Isn't that easily replaceable? Don't they take it out yearly for Supercross, monster trucks, etc.?
I guess so, but I got the impression that they have been gutting the interior getting ready for the physical demolition of the building.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I guess so, but I got the impression that they have been gutting the interior getting ready for the physical demolition of the building.
Just found this:
The Georgia Dome was officially closed after a Monster Jam trucks show March 5. The artificial turf has been removed, offices have been vacated and a security fence has been erected.

But Jennifer LeMaster, a spokesperson for the Georgia World Congress Center Authority, which operated the Dome and on whose campus the new stadium is being built, told the AJC last month that “until the Dome is demolished, it could be utilized.”
http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/...enz-stadium-questions/W2qyPLd89l4p14kmYRdNiL/

You would think that they would take all the seats/etc. out that could be re-purposed elsewhere before demolition. This sounds like they're gonna drop it like it is.

Last edited:

cyptomcat

Hibernating

18in32

Petard Hoister
If you haven't seen this, it shows how it will function:

It is just insane that we taxpayers paid any part of this. The Ga Dome was a perfectly fine stadium. I'm really sorry Mr. Blank didn't make as much money off it as he wanted. But that doesn't really justify taking money out of my pocket to finance his business. I barely even watch the Falcons – maybe that's my real complaint.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I just saw that Georgia State is gonna start playing games at "Georgia State Stadium" aka Turner Field. I might go catch a game there just for the novelty of watching football at the Ted.
Not a chance in hell I ever drive back to that ööööhole.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
It is just insane that we taxpayers paid any part of this. The Ga Dome was a perfectly fine stadium. I'm really sorry Mr. Blank didn't make as much money off it as he wanted. But that doesn't really justify taking money out of my pocket to finance his business. I barely even watch the Falcons – maybe that's my real complaint.
öööö like this is what turns me off to football nowadays.
There are times I consider just dropping football. I am a longtime ST holder at GT. Been attending games since the 1970's. Only missed 2 home games in the last 15-20 years or so - BYU game (we lost) and the Miami game (win) with the 70+ yard punt by Brooks. Football is just getting too big of business. Of course, as long as my 75 year old dad wants to and is able, I will keep going.

EastboundJacket

Damn Good Rat
Does anyone else feel they could've done a better job of making the outside look good? I personally kind of hate it. It's clunky and I'm not sure the retractable part of the roof will look good at all. I also liked how the renderings of the exterior had a little bit of translucence to them, but that doesn't seem to have become a reality.

I know it'll be an awesome place to take in a game and all (if it ever does open) and I'm excited for the cheap food/drinks, but the outside doesn't do it for me.

clapper

Dodd-Like
I also liked how the renderings of the exterior had a little bit of translucence to them, but that doesn't seem to have become a reality.
The translucence is still there, but with the exception to the 'window on the city' on the east end, the plans are covered with a matrix of gray dots, which makes it appear less so.

Dirty Jacket

Never Weaken
Does anyone else feel they could've done a better job of making the outside look good? I personally kind of hate it. It's clunky and I'm not sure the retractable part of the roof will look good at all. I also liked how the renderings of the exterior had a little bit of translucence to them, but that doesn't seem to have become a reality.

I know it'll be an awesome place to take in a game and all (if it ever does open) and I'm excited for the cheap food/drinks, but the outside doesn't do it for me.
Agree, I think the stadium is absolutely hideous but don't care

ATLGT14

Varsity Lurker
It will probably open in time, but right now they are determining, based on the structural "issues", if the roof will ever work........

jacket67

Dodd-Like
They are able to open the top now, but they are still having some problems with the front door.