WHAT IF...Did anyone else watch the Espn college....

BLACK WATCH

Helluva Engineer
football awards show tonight? I just sat there and thought of WHAT IF...What if Tony Hollings did'nt suffer that terrible injury last year in the Byu game....If he stayed healthy could we have had a Serious Heisman Candidate there tonight and possibly the Heisman trophy this Saturday night...WHAT IF....

I think it could be a good possibilty we could have a serious Heisman candidate over the next 3 to 4 years at Running Back...P.J. leads the ACC in rushing and as the Chris Mortensen Article said" Gailey always finds a way to run the Football" It is a only a matter of time before Gailey comes up with another Tony Hollings and we could have some one walk up to that podium...Let's hope so....I got so pumped when Lil Joe almost brought home the Hardware.... Hopefully no more WHAT IF'S we have been snake bitten for too long....

Yeah, I would have loved to see Tony up there as well.

I have done the injury thing in my head, and I've decided that being healthy is part of being the athlete. It's being not only gifted enough to do something, but gifted enough to take the abuse you sustain while you do it and still go.

The guy who gets the trophy has to win twice, in my opinion - taking the abuse and doing the deeds.

Yes Billy Lothridge finished 2nd or 3rd in 1963 I believe. I think Joe Bellino of Navy beat him out.

Go Jackets!

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Besides lil Joe..Have we ever had a player that close to the Trophy???
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Clint Castleberry finished 3rd as a Freshman back in 1942.

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Besides lil Joe..Have we ever had a player that close to the Trophy???
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">1942 - Clint Castleberry finished distant 3rd - winner was Frank Sinkwich (UGA)

1963 - Billy Lothridge finished 2nd behind Roger Staubach

Frank Sinkwich of UGA was truely deserving of the trophy. One small item that endeared him to the voters was the fact that he played much of the season with a broken jaw.

However, as in so many things, UGA has GT to thank. Soon after Frank suffered his injury, David (Red) Baron, the Tech 3-sport star from the 1920s visited Sinkwich to tell him how he played 4 games with a broken jaw in the days of leather helments! Red Baron convinced Sinkwich that he could do it and the rest is history.

Red Baron was a close friend of my grandfather. He told me many stories of the old days of Tech football and about his friend Ty Cobb.....

Geetlee...No slam here..but you sound an awful lot like a dog......Sinkwich did not play for GT...

Originally posted by GEETEELEE:
Frank Sinkwich of UGA was truely deserving of the trophy. One small item that endeared him to the voters was the fact that he played much of the season with a broken jaw.

However, as in so many things, UGA has GT to thank. Soon after Frank suffered his injury, David (Red) Baron, the Tech 3-sport star from the 1920s visited Sinkwich to tell him how he played 4 games with a broken jaw in the days of leather helments! Red Baron convinced Sinkwich that he could do it and the rest is history.

Red Baron was a close friend of my grandfather. He told me many stories of the old days of Tech football and about his friend Ty Cobb.....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Believe it or not I envy you. I'll bet the stories are unbelievable.....and a second bet says your grandfather had to clean them up quite a bit.
smile.gif

hehehehehe.....

Red Baron was a fine southern gentleman and a devout Christian. The way he would allude to some events and the language Cobb used was hilarous at times to me as a 15 year old kid!!!

GeeTeeLee....You need to change your handle..it is too easy to confuse you with Geetee.....My Bad!!!!!

Back