"We have to do everything better" says HC Al Groh

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
\"We have to do everything better\" says HC Al Groh

"We have to recruit better. We have to coach better. We have to raise money better. How are we going to compete in the 'best' football league in the country? This is a 'new' conference." Coach Groh was quoted in this very good article on Virginia's 13 early commitments for '05.
It appears to me that the Cavaliers are building a heck of a system, under Groh, to be competitive in the new, mighty ACC.
Maryland, behind HC Ralph Friedgen, may also be in on this building football prowess concept with Virginia. The teams that don't bring in the talented football players are going to fall farther & farther behind FSU, Miami, VT, Maryland & Virginia.
Good article;

Virginia's trying to compete in the 'new' ACC

The thing with Groh is...

He's out recruiting everyone in the ACC except FSU and Miami.

Yet, his teams aren't getting markedly better. Have they even made a Gator bowl yet? At some point, you have to say...where's the coaching? Another 8 win season, and he'll get my vote for the Jim Donnan of the ACC with all that talent.

He\'s stacking up the classes

which means he'll challenge for the ACC crown the next 3-4 yrs straight. Groh is 2-1 vs GT.
Overall;
2001 5-6,3-5 Welch didn't leave much
2002 9-5,6-2 T 2nd ACC. Gator took 4th place team. W Continental Bowl
2003 8-5,4-4 W in Continental Bowl

Looks like a better than decent program on the way up to me.
PS: I'd like to have an 8 W season about now .

with his talent his teams have been pathetic...

he has had an NFL qb, top runners, great o'line, d'line, and db's.

GT's LB's is probably the only group that has matched up to UVA's talent. If CG had Groh's talent he would have won the ACC by now. UVA dropped academic standards so Groh could recruit who he wants. Ironically, GT increased standards and we lost Hollings, Hargrove, and Burns. 8 wins does not seem out of the question if add hargrove and hollings to some of CG's teams. Just the loss of ships has hurt CG's teams.

GT made a choice not to compromise on standards and we will all have to live with it. I do think Groh has underacheived more than any other ACC coach.

Re: with his talent his teams have been pathetic...

Great recruiter? Maybe. Great coach. Not sure. Recruiting is important, but that being said, look at Mack Brown.

Back