Updated Recruiting Speculation !

Jerry the Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Below is an update of my last updated dated January 20, 2004. Just thought I would add a few of my thoughts on where we stand with one week to go.

At the time of my original post 1/11/04 we had 11 scholarships left to give. We now have 3 left to give. A lot has transpired in the last 7 days. Of my list of 11 that I thought we had a good shot at, we did get 4:

1) Calvin Johnson (the number 1 target)
2) Andrew Gardner
3) Drew Gause
4) Djay Jones

We have 5 that have committed elsewhere:

1) Amos Gbunblee
2) Chris Davis
3) Justin Decker
4) George Stripling
5) Ronnie Palmer

and one that will not be offerred:

1) Rasheon Ball

So from the original 11 here is what remains:

1) Daryl Richard

We all have our fingers crossed on this one. It looks like it is down to us vs. Notre Dame.

Of my longshot list of 8, 4 have committed elsewhere leaving 4 names that still are out there from the original list and a couple have been added via the rumor mill lately:

1) Brandon Miller, DE/LB
2) Norris Smith, RB/LB
3) Brent Freeman, CB
4) Jeremy Rosser, WR
5) Joe Thaxton, LB
6) Josh Mitchell, LB

We lost one commitment Cismesia the kicker to FSU, but we added 3 that fit the off the radar description:

1) Jarrell Johnson, DB
2) John Morrisson, TE
3) Kieran Delaney, OL

We have also seen some new names emerge as targets and we were successful in gaining their commitment:

1) Nate McManus, OL
2) Kyle Belcher, K

It appears we are really trying to find another linebacker making a late push for Thaxton and probably bringing Mitchell in for a visit to see if he can play at this level (he is shown verbally committed to Charleston Southern but may have taken that scholarship as a bird in hand when we told him we were waiting on others, we may be able to reverse that situation in my opinion). If we do not get Miller, Thaxton or Mitchell look for us to bring in one from off the charts somewhere.

So as we look at the last 3 scholarships left to give who are our most likely candidates. Here is what I think:

1) Daryl Richard
2) Brandon Miller
3) Joe Thaxton

Others that come into play if any of these fall out:

1) Josh Mitchell, LB
2) Norris Smith, RB/LB
3) Brent Freeman, CB
4) Jeremy Rosser, WR
5) Justin Treece, DL
6) Nick Butler, DL

Again, we could see someone emerge from out of the blue. Only the coaches really know who is left on the board and what the priority sequence is. All we can do is guess.

Go Jackets!

i was told that thaxtson is out of the mix, by a usually reliable source - unless you know something since yesterday???

Jerry,
I appreciate the work and effort you have been putting into this recruiting update. Keep up the good work. You're da man.

Back