UGA related question.

techfowl

Jolly Good Fellow
Most of you know how much I hate UGA. There is a big "G" in the bottom of my toilet. Literally.

Which brings me to my next statement.

I grew up as 'mostly' a Dawg fan. My dad took me to GT games and my friends all took me to UGA games. I won't go into my life changing revelation, but that leads me to the next statement.

I really like Herschel Walker. He was my idol as a kid, and he grew up 20 minutes from my door step. I also think he is a once in a decade kind of player for college football. The guy always exudes class, and to this day, shows much more respect and appreciation for his fans than any sports figure I know.

I think it's pretty neat that a guy like #34 is from our state, regardless of who he played for. 'I' think he is one of the top 10 college ball players of all time.

Maybe it's because I was a UGA fan when he was big, or maybe I have an appreciation for the the way he handles himself, or what he accomplished. I don't know why I like the guy but I do.

So here is the question.

Am I the only guy here that will admit being a fan of #34?

I have a ton of respect for #34(more than anyone else that came out of ugag), but won't say that I am a fan.

Big HW fan here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

Georgia_Athlon_04.jpg

Define \"fan\'

Herschell Walker is the single greatest College Football running back of the last 50 years.
That I can apreciate.
But I am no "fan" of anything that ever steps in Sanford Stadium representing the home team.
Doesn't mean you're a bad person, but that's just my story.

Great story...Grew up in Cochran, GA and my dad was the head football coach at BCHS for forever. We played Johnson Co. when HW was a Jr and Sr...His Jr year we were down 21-0 at half time...came out and shut him down for like 5 yds in the 2nd half and won 26-21...one of the best games my dad ever coached IMHO...anyway, during basketball season we go over there to play them and my dad gives me a pen and paper and tells me," Go over there and get that boy's autograph. He's gonna be big one day." Again, this was his Jr year. So I walk over to this HUGE guy with an affro about 2 feet tall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eekhair.gif and ask him for his autograph. He was so nice. Actually stood there and talked to me and my friend for a few minutes. Will NEVER forget that!

And yes, we were Ugag fans back then until my sister went to Tech in '85. After that, have cheered for the Jackets religiously every year!!

PS- His Sr year they beat us 28-0...I think Herschel had over 200 yrds or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

I remember watching Herschel run like crazy ...

... in 1980 against TCU. That was my first trip to the cess pool. I was 7 and already a die-hard Tech fan (well engrained from both my grand-fathers - both Tech grads).
My uncle is a UGAg grad and he let my dad use his season tix for that game. I still remember wearing my GT ball cap to the game. Yes, I actually cheered for Herschel.

I've been a big fan of his ever since then. I still can't believe he went to the USFL and played for the the New Jersey Generals. He actually had some dominating games in that league. Sometimes ESPN Classics show them.

I remember back in the early 90's when he was with the Eagles. They played the Falcons in a preseason game and I was able to get his autograph on a football.

I hate UGAg with every fiber of my being, but I am a fan of #34.

BBR

i remember when he was a freshman and was driving around the gt campus right before the tech game, guess what he was driving a brand new trans am. this is what a poor boy from wrightsville drives, give me a break. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/werd.gif

I don\'t have any problems being a fan of HW

I detest the Bulldogs as much as anyone. I pull against them in every game and get way too much satisfaction out of their losses than is healthy. I'm one of those guys who would have a hard time making the choice between going 1-10 if the win was against them or 10-1 if the loss was to them. But once one of their athletes has moved on and is no longer playing for them, I don't have any trouble pulling for him.

I\'m pretty neutral about HW

He was a great college player but as their pro careers indicate Eric Dickerson was probably a better pro back. Hershell was all No-So and didn't have any of the lateral moves that a Payton, Dickerson, Barry Sanders had. He was strong as an ox and fast as a train and that was plenty enough to be a Heisman back.

I don't think Herschel would characterize himself a rabid dawg. He went to the highest bidder at every opportunity. He would have achieved more greatness in the NFL if he had not gone the USFL route, but he needed the money sooner so he did what he wanted to do.

Dickerson was probably a better college back

Dickerson's yards per carry were better in college than Walker's. I thought he was a better back than Walker in college, but that he did not get the hype. His NFL carreer proved that the college numbers were no fluke.

Re: Dickerson was probably a better college back

I'll agree. Dickerson was a better back in college and the NFL.

Re: I\'m pretty neutral about HW

I agree that he was an outstanding college football player. However, what will stick in my mind is our game in '81 at GF and a couple of cheap shots that HW did. The worst one was an extremely late, blindside hit against Lance Skelton who standing by as people were unpiling. I knew Lance and I can't imagine him doing anything that would have warranted retaliation. That hit was so blatantly late that I lost any respect I had for walker.

Back