Thread Hijacking

techfowl

Jolly Good Fellow
Happens.

I copy threads, but when I copy another, it is always accompanied with a "by who, from who." Always.

I wish others would do the same.

Why would someone copy a thread from this board, or rewrite it, and act like they came up with it on their own, on another board? They must know that others will notice what's original and what's not. Timestamps are the tell-tale.

It's not that big a deal, but it sure happens a lot. Maybe that's why I can't get on the Hive. Maybe someone there doesn't want to miss out on one of their resources.

Here are examples:

TechFowl's Link

0115 (1:15 AM) 5/13/04

As compared to:

Hijack #1 from the Hive

1759 (5:59 PM) 5/15/04

Or:

Hijack#2 GTSportsBlog - Scroll to Thursday May 13, GT Athletics Keeps Rollin...Rollin...Rollin

5/13/04, no Time Stamp, but I doubt it was 1 in the morning.

It's almost word for word - and IS word for word, some sentences.

I'm fine with it, if you foot note, and if this was the first time, I'd say nothing. This has been going on for eons. This once, because I was hijacked on 2 boards, I'm just going to call you guys out.

GTSportsBlog has a leg to stand on. At least that board is designed to recap GT news. I like and appreciate the board. It was first, and I ignored it, because of the nature of the board, although I do think my name should have been referenced. All the information is public, but too much of it is word for word from my post.

That dummy on the Hive, however, hijacked BOTH OF US. What the hell?

He has the American Idol reject as the picture by his font. If his idol makes a living poorly copying the work of others, maybe he thinks it's ok. Somebody tell him it's not.

Let me get this straight - The Hive will give that guy - and the UGA fan over there bashing GT (Thread labeled "Tech") - admission and writing priveledges on the board, but not me? That's just not ok if you ask me.

Since it's all factual information relating to GT sports which these boards are for, I don't know if it is plagarism, hijacking of a different sorts maybe. But I see your point and I can completely understand why you might be pissed. If that is the original GTJT that made that post, he isn't such a bad guy. That guy has probably the most original and funny posts I've read on the Hive. At least he used to, doesn;t post so much anymore. Go read the "Osmose Collection" sometime under the "Hive Resources". That stuff is hysterical. That represents what the Hive USED to be like in many ways.

nice pick up....

I routinely post good threads over here HOWEVER I always post the link and IF I copy the thread I ALWAYS include the author AND the board in the post.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/readthis.gif

Re: nice pick up....

Techfoul, you are correct - I should have referenced you over at the Blog. I did get the concept from you are I typically do reference the originators on other boards. I took the idea and tried to expand on it. I started that entry as a draft and came back to it the next day, and just plain forgot.

My sincere apologies, but I am going back and editing my original post.

Can you forgive me?

GTBlogGuy

Scott

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pat.gif

Re: nice pick up....

Thank you Stinger92!

I'm sure you already read that my beef was not really with you. I know the nature of your board is to create an avenue for finding good GT info, and I appreciate all the you do in that regard.

Thanks again, Scott.

Back