Something in this week's AJC

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...pful-for-offense-well/NFj14Pg8VTg6AIilmnH8eM/

Posted: 5:04 p.m. Thursday, April 12, 2018

When Georgia Tech offensive tackle Jahaziel Lee looks across the line of scrimmage during his team’s spring-practice scrimmages, what he sees looks familiar. Three defensive lineman and four linebackers – a 3-4 defense.

Tech saw it plenty last season and will see it again in the next. And now with new defensive coordinator Nate Woody implementing his version of the 3-4, the Yellow Jackets offense is seeing it in the spring and will again during the preseason.

“It’ll definitely help us,” Lee said. “A lot of slanting and linebackers popping, so it’s different, but it’s definitely going to help us during the season.”

Coach Paul Johnson was in agreement that practicing against the 3-4 was probably helpful.

“It’s closer to what we see a lot,” he said.

Clemson, Georgia, Miami and Virginia all lined up in a 3-4 last season against the Jackets. Louisville, which Tech will play in its rotating Atlantic Division crossover game, may do so, as well. The Cardinals’ defensive coordinator, Brian VanGorder, used three down linemen (and sometimes four) when he was directing the Notre Dame defense in the Jackets’ loss to the Fighting Irish in 2015.

I thought the defense and offense didn’t practice against each other and there was no way that the style of one affected the other?

It is not that they don't practice against each other. It is that we can't run an offense at the caliber that our defense is going to see week in and week out. And their isn't enough time in a week for our offense to spend time running some other teams formation. So that is left to the scout team. Which is basically made up of high school caliber walkons.

Jesus, BVG again.

k3tq3ujstk.jpg

It is not that they don't practice against each other. It is that we can't run an offense at the caliber that our defense is going to see week in and week out. And their isn't enough time in a week for our offense to spend time running some other teams formation. So that is left to the scout team. Which is basically made up of high school caliber walkons.

The point is if the following quote is true, then the corrolary of the defense practicing against an offense it will never see in a real game hurts is also true.

“It’ll definitely help us,” Lee said. “A lot of slanting and linebackers popping, so it’s different, but it’s definitely going to help us during the season.”

The point is if the following quote is true, then the corrolary of the defense practicing against an offense it will never see in a real game hurts is also true.

Well I think it was said that our running game is useful in terms of helping our defense prepare for the run, and we have been generally good against the run. It is no secret that we have struggled against the pass, which our offense does not really replicate.

The quote was less about the 3-4 and more about the style of play. CNW wants to attack on defense, which is more along the lines of what opposing defenses are doing. So, the offense presumably will be better prepared for an attacking defense.

I could be wrong about GTs defensive coordinator but we would use the 2nd string defense & non scholarship players to run against the opponents defense for the upcoming game. I think most teams do this.

The quote was less about the 3-4 and more about the style of play. CNW wants to attack on defense, which is more along the lines of what opposing defenses are doing. So, the offense presumably will be better prepared for an attacking defense.
15-0 baby!

Presently, the probability that we will win fewer than 15 games is so close to zero its laughable.

I'm moving on to the probability that we will not have the lead in the second half of any game this year then to the likelihood that we give up fewer than five points per game this season.

I am curious though who we are going to crush on the Natty game and on what color jacket to wear to the White House.

high school caliber walkons should be perfect for a high school offense.

I thought the defense and offense didn’t practice against each other and there was no way that the style of one affected the other?
Who in the hell would they practice against the cheerleaders?

Back