Someone with a skilled hand needs to untimatly figure out BDS

samsgt02

Dodd-Like
I just want to take some saplings from the uGA hedges and plant them at BDS so we can tear them up after wins over uGA at home.
The last time we beat them at home we still had the overhang and a giant piss trough on the east stands.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
I don't go to a stadium to look at the architecture.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I have had same seats since 2005, I think. Don't öööö it up. They are MY ööööing seats. We own 4 seats, but my seat is #22. I can't sit anywhere else.

gte490v

Dodd-Like
Good for them. I hope they get out of our stadium soon because i'm getting annoyed with all the stupid talk about BDS and the campus by United fans.
All of the United fans that I have talked to are VERY complimentary of the stadium and the hospitality. They said we are doing an amazing job.

BDS is all about knowing what you are getting into. Upper East seats for cooler / night games are the best deal in college football. Never sat in the North Endzone, but it seems like a good place to put visiting teams fans. Lower West is a decent place to watch a game, but not nearly the value of Upper East (especially if you want to stand up from time to time).

Basically, if you don't like Bobby Dodd, you are probably just in the wrong spot.

MCY2005

Varsity Lurker
Making BDS symmetrical is never going to happen. It would be a complete rebuild. Instead:
Done.

05GTCorndog

Staff member
Making BDS symmetrical is never going to happen. It would be a complete rebuild. Instead:
Done.
1. Good idea
2. Moving the Club section to the lower west is a huge expense and won't happen.
3. Good idea. I have no idea what this would cost.
4. Moar piss troughs.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
All of the United fans that I have talked to are VERY complimentary of the stadium and the hospitality. They said we are doing an amazing job.

BDS is all about knowing what you are getting into. Upper East seats for cooler / night games are the best deal in college football. Never sat in the North Endzone, but it seems like a good place to put visiting teams fans. Lower West is a decent place to watch a game, but not nearly the value of Upper East (especially if you want to stand up from time to time).

Basically, if you don't like Bobby Dodd, you are probably just in the wrong spot.
I thought BDS looked awesome for United games. With the fans right on top of the pitch it looked like it could be a loud and intimidating atmosphere.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
Most United fans I talk to wish they could stay in BDS and worry the atmosphere is going to be completely sucked out when they move to the new stadium.

It is really really hard to top a packed full BDS.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Done.
Read up on the ADA. Law doesn't allow us to do all the things you describe without doing a complete rebuild.

gtg970g

Dodd-Like
Done.
Putting a sunshade on UE similar to what Nebraska has won't do a bit of good. If we angle a sunshade on UW correctly it should shade a significant amount of the east stands but I don't see UE getting relief from sun unless we raze east campus dorms & Britain dining hall and build skyscrapers.
Converting LW to club seats would be a huge mistake. If we convert anything to club seats it needs to be seats in non-prime locations like upper north or south endzone. People already pay a premium for LW so it would be very difficult to make conversion to club seats economically feasible. Plus ADA complications.
I agree we should convert all seats to chairbacks except students and upper north.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
There are very few stadiums with the stands running parallel to the sideline. This puts us right on top of the field. Upper east seats are some of the best available.

When BDS is full, it is as loud as anywhere. The fans are almost in the game and it's a second to none experience with the old stadium being surrounded by the new city.

I'll take our disjointed old stadium over any of the jello mold stadiums where seats on the 50 are 30 yards back from the sideline due to the curves.

EastboundJacket

Damn Good Rat
  • Convert all non-student sections to chair seating - reduces the capacity to ~50K and makes the concourses less crowded
Really like this idea. It also makes games that don't get filled look better on TV. Would probably still be pretty pricey though.

byteback

Dodd-Like
I'd like to see us do what A&M did but on a smaller scale. Kyle Field used to look like this...

But now it's closed off and symmetrical:

Like I said, a smaller scale of this would be great. Their old design is similar to a scaled-up BDS, and I realize we have more challenges than they did, but it's an idea.
I would imagine that Kyle Field is sitting on flat land.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

beej67

new around here
Isn't it a river bed where one side is built into what was a river bank?
Whole place was a floodplain. Only flat place on campus. Hence "the flats." Heisman conned all the students into building a brick arch sewer over the creek, and then stuck a football field over it.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Whole place was a floodplain. Only flat place on campus. Hence "the flats." Heisman conned all the students into building a brick arch sewer over the creek, and then stuck a football field over it.
Yeah, but west stands are definitely built into a defined elevation. The boxes are ground level entry from Tech Tower area. That's what I was talking about.