Posts on Miami Board

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I usually go from board to board and found a couple of nuggets about Jeff Schultz (AJC) on the Miami board. Obviously they are a bit edgy about the whole Willie Williams thing. I don't know if I believe the second one or not - I assume the Tech is us. Perhaps made up?

Schultz Response #1 Response From Schultz 2

Anyway, I hope that was made up by the Miami poster. Of course, I know how much the AUC loves us.

Schultz didn't say anything wrong. The poster responded to Jeff about how Jeff must be a Tech homer. And, Jeff, responded witht he fact that he doesn't care if Tech loses or not, and that he has no allegience to any teams. Isn't that what a report is supposed to do? Have no allegience?

Someone remind me why we wanted Miami in our conference. It seems to me we sacrificed our integrity. They fit in better with the $EC.

It is hard for me to fathom how so many have completely lost their moral and ethical compass. By using such phrases as model student and other similar descriptions of an habitual criminal is mind boggling. I cannot believe there was not ONE voice of reason to be heard.

Their only defense of this THUG was to demean anyone and everyone that would even dare to question this man's conduct. I am not slamming a player, but I am slamming a thug that has no self control and obviously a kid that has been pampered only because he is physically gifted and is capable of making his team much better on game day. And of course the Cane fans are already counting the victories that will accrue if this OUTLAW is allowed to play for good ole ALMA MAMA. It is disgusting. I want to win as much as anyone but I am not willing to pay any price for a win. This should cause ALL Tech fans to pause and give a word of thanks to the Tech administration for being unwilling to stoop to such a level for a few wins.

BigBuck, I hear what you say but I would like to

know if we recruited him in any fashion? Would that make us a school wanting to win at any cost? To me, he is responsible for his actions regardless of his age when they occured. But what about the legal authorities? Why has this guy not been locked up before? What about UF? I do not have all the facts regarding any school recruiting him but why did this not make the news on the weekend that it happened? Why has it just come out when he signed with UM? Would we know about this if he had signed with UF? I hate it when any young person gets in this kind of trouble and regardless of athletics or not, I hope something positve can happen for him in his life. I have never been in this kind of trouble but hopefully I will always remember "there go I but for the Grace of God" because I have done many things that could have turned back on me. Lastly, I am very glad UM is in the ACC. It is a positive for our conference. If we had not expanded, there would not have been much to talk about regarding the ACC when the BCS contract expired. Before we cast more stones, anyone want to talk about Reggie Spruill (sp?) or Eric Barfield?

Re: BigBuck, I hear what you say but I would like to

I think you can rest assured that if Chan wouldn't sign a five or four star guy last year because he didn't have a 2.0, he sure wouldn't have been after a kid with a criminal record.

At the same time, Chan would not have been much of a recruiter if we did NOT pursue this kid until the point we discovered his background. So if it ever shows we recruited him, it doesn't necessarily mean we did so even after his character was discovered. It means our staff did exactly what it should have (pursued) until the point that they, again, did exactly what they should have (backed off).

Remember the highly ranked kid last year that wanted to be a Jacket, and we were all mad that Chan backed off on him? I forget his name, but he said he wanted to be a Jacket, and Chan explored the possibility with him, but later cut the cord, and never gave him an offer. The kid was charged with date rape about two months after signing day.

There was also a highly touted RB that we all wanted that Chan backed off of because of grades - actually a few of those types, and a couple had GT as their first choice.

Chan doesn't do everything right, but he does a lot right - - and according to *recent* history, it seems this type of thing will not happen at GT unless it's purely out of left field. I don't see Chan intentionally signing anyone like this guy.

I feel comfortable casting stones. They will cast stones at us if it ever happens here (which is not impossible, but is unlikely), regardless of whether we cast stones at them or not.

Go ahead, have fun with it. Cast away GT fans. May as well turn it into a rivalry as soon as possible.

Techfowl, I think you misunderswtood my post. I never insinuated that Chan went after the undesirables as it pertains to character. Quite the contrary, I complimemted our Administration for formulating standards that would exclude such characters. I realize the coaches are not clairvoyant and that in dealing with so many young kids that everything will not be so transparent to them that mistakes will not be made. Wasn't my point at all.

What we have with the Miami board are a group of fans that are looking back on the situation and despite the irrefutable facts that this kid has a rap sheet ten feet long there was not ONE SINGLE person that had ANY problems with this man's aberrant behavior. It wouldn't bother me at all if I learned that Chan made initial inquiries about this kid based on his abilities but i'm sure if Chan had made some effort to recruit him that he would have seen some red flags long before signing day.

Now as to the recruits that you referred to that we purportedly recruited and one was a rapist-I believe you are talking about the kid that Verballed to Vandy but is now in prison. This is completely different from the Willie Williams case as this kid had an impeccable record until the sex charge was brought against him and this happened after signing day I believe.

Another distinction can be made is that the player didn't actually rape the girl but it was concensual sex with a 15 year old girl. The guy will be exonerrated from all that I have learned recently.

The running back that you referred to that YOU said that had bad grades was not exactly accurate. Tashard Choice was the RB from metro Atlanta that Chan initially pursued and backed off when he got a committment from Grant BUT changed his mind and then tried to sign Choice but by then he had committed to Oklahoma. Tashard wanted to come to Tech and YES he was FULLY qualified.

But in Miami's case this was a local boy that was repeatedly
in trouble with the law and I am confident if the coaching staff was concerned about CHARACTER issues they would have
almost had to know about it. And that bothers me. And yes, I believe in second chances but this guy has already been given ten chances that we all know about and this OLD MAN thinks that is adequate.

[ QUOTE ]
. Before we cast more stones, anyone want to talk about Reggie Spruill (sp?) or Eric Barfield?

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember Reggie Spruell (basketball - very late 70's, if it's the same one), but who is Eric Barfield? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Big Buck,

You and I are in complete agreement, but those are some Big Buckin CAPITAL LETTERS.

Maybe I didn't word my post well, but I didn't mean to take a shot at you or your post, although I did take some of what you said and take it a bit further.

My point was that we are not likely to have this issue here and the other part was just cutting up any way.

I did not understand that your big issue was that Miami fans aren't questioning the decision like they should have, but I agree with you that they should.

For whichever reason, Chan did back off on some guys for reasons that presesnted themselves later. Most of the reasons were such that made me believe that a kid wouldn't have to drift too far from center to get the Chan-Axe.

Usually I'M the testy one. Hope I'm not rubbing off on you...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

Thanks for the clarification techfowl. I didn't think you were taking shots at me but we both misread the other's post. Everything is cool man, I enjoy your posts. We both think alike as to the policies of our coaching staff.

The Southern response would be something like.....

"We will beat their butt like a drum, and make them ask for mercy." Who are they? Record? Pretty good.....but nothing in correspondence to us!!!! They play nambie/pampies.....no
wonder thier record....they are in the big leagues now.

Back