Marketing suggestion to Mr. Braine

LLCoolJacket

Damn Good Rat
In an honest attempt share some ideas that I have in regard to increasing our exposure to the national audience, I am writing a letter to Mr. Braine asking him for some of his time.

I do not work for, or own any type of firm that could make money off of this, so there is no hidden agenda. As a matter of fact, I know very little about advertising, or marketing in the professional sense. If my ideas are stupid, so what.
If they have ANYthing to do with signing a 5star player down the road that would not know about Tech otherwise because he lives in Themiddleofnowhere, Oregon, I would call it a success.

Just a teaser: Millions of people pass thru Hartsfield every year, heading in every direction. Why not, at a price paid to the city, develop a Georgia Tech exhibit, manned by attractive young men and women that can sing Tech's praises to the fathers of rising star ballplayers. Armed with literature on the traditions and excellence of Tech, these weary passengers board their respective flights home, with something to share with his boy and others.

There is so much we can do to get the word out to "potential buyers" that happen to live outside of the southeast.
If we are already doing it, I apologize. If we are, I would like to see proof of it.

If we are not, I sincerely hope that we don't have to survey other schools to see how they market.
smile.gif

quote by ahso:

My first impression is most of the athlete's getting scholarships, their Dad's are probably not flying around the country. I would guess the biggest majority of flyers are business people and leisurely travelers.

Ahso, I am not sure that I understand you here.
Are you saying that the fathers of high caliber prep football players do not work?

Man, you lost me on this one.

I mentioned this a year ago and i'll suggest it again. Get a transponder on one of the XM satellites and make GT "America's school". All sports, live broadcast, heard equally well across the nation. Filler with special programs and/or WRECK feeds. Just think how great it would be for all facets of Tech if some guy outside the southeast is flipping through the stations and suddenly gets a dose of Tech.

Normal radio broadcasts of many teams are hard to follow because they're AM. How nice it would be if while driving you could tune in a game and stay with it for more than 30 minutes. Hell, even Atlanta people could listen to the BB games. Then there's always replays of the great games. I could easly listen to Dennis Scott steal UNC's inbound pass and shoot to win the game and AC's screaming into the mic afterwards 2-3 times a year. The possibilities are endless.

We're a high tech school and my company ( alot of Tech grads) builds the feeds for those satellites.

Let's start a movement, and try and make something like this happen.

Think: "Georgia Tech, the school that talks to the nation, for the nation"

P*ss on Notre Dame!

My dad always told me that one of the reasons Dodd made us independent was to be the Notre Dame of the south, not to mention not sharing bowl revenue with the rest of the sec.

Hell, if Tech did not have national appeal back then, why would Ms. Monroe put on a Tech sweater, and be photographed. I just wish I were there to see her take it off after the shoot!
tongue.gif

LLCoolJacket, Tech had more national appeal back then than most teams in the nation.

LLCoolJacket, no, I did not infer that. I inferred that most football recruits Dads probably did not use the air transportation that much.

I did not say they were without jobs. All workers do not fly around the country all the time. In fact, I would guess a very small segment of the working population uses air travel in their jobs.

Father Time

Can someone find out how much Techbarbarian's idea would cost?

On the surface it is brilliant. If GT 'wasted' twice what they are spending on marketing now on this it would pay dividends for a long time. This is the kind of thing that would have our name on the lips of nearly every recruit.

We might do well with some airport advertising, particularly something cool during recruiting season. Would have to be careful to keep it from looking cheesy. Maybe something like 'GT would like to welcome its 2004 opponents' and list at least the top BB and FB schools with a tough picture like Ball laying out Thurman on one side and Ish jamming on somone on the other.

I agree that few Div 1 recruits in the South have parents who travel extensively for a living. For one, it is hard to dedicate the time to your kids' sports required to make Div 1 if you are flying out regularly.

Tech Barbarian has a great idea! The technology access of GT athletic events via Satellite - Expanded revenue generator "from advertisers" with additional exposure for their "advertising investment" - Excellent access to Georgia Tech Fans and sports fans all over the world - just like Ted Turner used cable for the Braves. Make Georgia Tech the Technology Team for the 21st century, sports, education, world wide recognition. Our current sports radio arrangement, especially in the Atlanta market, is not anywhere near what it should be.

Hats off to the "creative technological" approach from Tech Barbarian.
drinking.gif

A novel idea! I pray that someone has the sense to put it to good use.

My first impression is most of the athlete's getting scholarships, their Dad's are probably not flying around the country. I would guess the biggest majority of flyers are business people and leisurely travelers.

It does not appear to me to be the best bang for the buck.

I would think the best incentive to attract athletes is the simplest. Play winning football and make sure you look good on the televised games.

Father Time

Back