Just back from the Game...Special Teams KILLED us...

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
Specifically the kick-off and kick-off return teams... We would start almost every drive around the 10, after their Kick-offs, and OTOH, they would start around the 40 yard line after every kick-off....This is a HUGE adversity to overcome over and over again..We're not that good...Something has to be done with special teams....We know how punting has been killing us.

In addition - I thought we were flat and out-of-sync...That one months period, w/o a game resulted in our whole team being rusty and flat.

One curious thing - about this staff - is it seems that they aren't handling long breaks very well (thinking of last year's bowl) - whatever it is that we do during a long break - we need to consider doing something else.

Duke played completely out of their minds today. The moon and stars must have been aligned perfectly for them. Every "inch" went their way - plays that they make once a year happened today...It was obvious to me when Duke scored first on the second half that we wouldn't win (I had hoped for an attitude change at the half)..

That miss by Curry was really big. Had he caught that pass the score would have been tied and I believe we'd have won...Duke scored not long after that play. That really hurt. It was a sure TD, right in his hands. arrrrgggggggghhhh

Why is Tech SO bad as favorites and SO good as underdogs ?? WHy ? I swear its been this way for the 40 + years of following Tech..I just had a feeling walking to the stadium that it would be this kind of day.

I still think we'll upset UGA, but for now, I think I'll
drinking.gif
heavily
shocked.gif

Originally posted by bizzybee:
I have yet to see us come out after halftime and play BETTER.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I seem to remember that we did in the NCST&lt;MD and Wake games.

I agree with most of your post except the title, 'special teams KILLED us' While we were not great, it wasn't as bad as usual, and this was our best punting so far. was happy to see thompson have a pretty good day kicking. I agree kick offs are still a big problem. The biggest thing that hurt today was turnovers and dropped passes. can't underestimate how Nates drops hurt today, especially the sure TD pass that would have tied it at 17 all...Reggies int for a touchdown came soon after and the whole game was different than it could have been. Turn it over 5 times anyone usually loses and not because of the coach.

Really Reggie and the team put him in a position that a true freshman has a VERY hard time with...coming back from a big deficit...on the road...to a team that is WAY overdue for a win...against a coach that knows this team. Reggie did as most true freshman QB's would...tried to do too much and made WAY too many mistakes. Of course the long layoff hurt too seeing as how Reggie sounded very rusty and poor technique and fundamentals led to many a mistake.

BIG learning experience for Reggie and the entire team today. Let's just hope they put it to good use!

Originally posted by itlbeealrt:
I agree with most of your post except the title, 'special teams KILLED us' While we were not great, it wasn't as bad as usual, and this was our best punting so far. was happy to see thompson have a pretty good day kicking. I agree kick offs are still a big problem. The biggest thing that hurt today was turnovers and dropped passes. can't underestimate how Nates drops hurt today, especially the sure TD pass that would have tied it at 17 all...Reggies int for a touchdown came soon after and the whole game was different than it could have been. Turn it over 5 times anyone usually loses and not because of the coach.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">====================

I said "specifically" KO's and KO returns....

In the first half, before the game was being established --- We started almost every drive between the 10 and 20. Their drives started around the 40. Thats HUGE. We cannot overcome those stats - we're not that good yet.Nobody consistently completes 90 yard drives !!! We had several excellent, 60-70 yard drives w/o points..Dukes 40 yard drives resulted in points. Very big difference, particularly beffore the momentum of the game had really been established one way or the other...

My bad gold rush..I missed the 'specifically'..I'm outa sync today too, it appears. I think you're right on target tho.

I can relate - have been out-of-sync too...

Oh well - as I said earlier - its time to break out the
drinking.gif

sadly, I agree with you, Gold Rush, kick off coverage was atrocious. I was also at Wallace Wade. Offense was flat and Reggie looked every bit like a freshman QB, especially on that last pass interception. The defense seemed confused at times and just couldn't stop the big plays for Duke.

But to their credit, Duke came out with fire at the beginning of the game and maintained that attitude throughout. They wanted to win more than we did.

Back