Jay Jones Transferring

Sucks this season crashed at the end the way it did. Makes it harder to appreciate the good parts.

The “good” parts came against crap teams.

TQ is a ball hog. He racks up yards because he doesn't know how to make any option reads. It worked in the Tennessee game but killed us once opponents caught on.

CPJ is an idiot for sticking with Taquon after his horrible play down the stretch. He has no problem rotating in players at A and B back, yet is fiercely stubborn about not getting the backup QB any playing time.

Inb4

"I'm sure you know more than CPJ who's done this for 40 years."
"Oh so you wanna fire him and get who exactly?"
"Look at all of TM's rushing yards!"
"Look at this gif of TM spinning" (edit: i was too late for this one)
"If the other quarterbacks didn't play it's because they were worse."
"CPJ beat uga in 2016!"
"Your mom."

"Look at this gif of TM spinning" (edit: i was too late for this one)

In fairness, that gif was purely in response to someone mentioning that TM was good in space. Other people came in attaching their own baggage after the fact.

CPJ is an idiot for sticking with Taquon after his horrible play down the stretch. He has no problem rotating in players at A and B back, yet is fiercely stubborn about not getting the backup QB any playing time.
You say this without seeing a minute of the backup playing. Yeah, just call CPJ an idiot and leave it it at that. :bfd:

Our backup QB gets the same amount of playing time as 99% of programs in America, the vast majority of which also have terrible games from time to time.

That said, you might be right. If LJ takes over as starter next year we may end up regretting not giving him some real PT this year. I don't blame CPJ for sticking with TM throughout the season, but once we were out of it against Duke and UGA I would have liked to see LJ get some real snaps. I also wanted to see him against UVA when we had wide open WRs and TM just couldn't hit them.

Our backup QB gets the same amount of playing time as 99% of programs in America, the vast majority of which also have terrible games from time to time.

That said, you might be right. If LJ takes over as starter next year we may end up regretting not giving him some real PT this year. I don't blame CPJ for sticking with TM throughout the season, but once we were out of it against Duke and UGA I would have liked to see LJ get some real snaps. I also wanted to see him against UVA when we had wide open WRs and TM just couldn't hit them.

I stopped expecting CPJ to make rational decisions when he's losing and getting frustrated about it.

I stopped expecting CPJ to make rational decisions when he's losing and getting frustrated about it.

This.
CPJ this year, more than in years past, seemed like he hit the panic (or white flag?) button very quickly. All of a sudden Taq was rolling out and throwing napkins in the wind. I’m all for expanding the pass game and mixing it in more frequently throughout the game (target 15 passes a game?), but we need some shorter routes that incorporate our backs some too, not just Jeune running as far and as fast as he can.

This.
CPJ this year, more than in years past, seemed like he hit the panic (or white flag?) button very quickly. All of a sudden Taq was rolling out and throwing napkins in the wind. I’m all for expanding the pass game and mixing it in more frequently throughout the game (target 15 passes a game?), but we need some shorter routes that incorporate our backs some too, not just Jeune running as far and as fast as he can.
The prob is that defenses double those options and leave the WRs singled. If you think TQM missing singles WRs is frustrating, wait till he starts throwing pics into double.

CPJs fault here is less likely to be playcalling and more likely to be player development. How many times did he say “It was there we just couldn’t hit it.”

You say this without seeing a minute of the backup playing. Yeah, just call CPJ an idiot and leave it it at that. :bfd:
LJ got 7 seconds of PT in the UGAg game. The game was realistically lost by halftime and the ONLY thing that interested me was maybe getting to see LJ sling the ball around a bit. I was disappointed. I guess we were just playing to not lose as bad so we kept TM in there to run time.

I hardly never leave a game early. I left the Duke lightning delay early because that day was surreal and I just had enough waiting around. I left the home UCONN game in 2003-ish because it was cold as hell and wet and miserable and we were winning big and I didn't feel the need to hang around and freeze my ass off watching us run clock.

The prob is that defenses double those options and leave the WRs singled. If you think TQM missing singles WRs is frustrating, wait till he starts throwing pics into double.

CPJs fault here is less likely to be playcalling and more likely to be player development. How many times did he say “It was there we just couldn’t hit it.”

The defenses are doubling the A backs? When they put 7-8 in the box I don't think they are doubling both A backs. One of them should be free about 5-10 yards downfield. They are of no use pass blocking.

Back