Is DARRYL RICHARD the Most highly sought after..

BLACK WATCH

Helluva Engineer
Defensive Tackle we have signed Since James Singleton?? David Brown might be also..But Im thinking he might be put at DE...I cant think of 2 higher ranked Dlineman we have Signed...Thoughts??

Deshane Simmons...

As I recall was highly sought after and highly ranked. Kevin Battle signed with us over UT and Bama to name a couple.

Richards is no doubt

BOR mentions Battle and Simmons who while good recruits were not "national" recruits like Richards.

83..You are right....Even Singleton was

more of a regional top recruit...No doubt all these 3 mentioned were Not The National Sought after recruits Like Richard and Brown are for us this year..You throw in Robertson (He was on Lemming's top 25 De list in the Nation) This is the most Highly rated Dline we have EVER brought in...And according to Brandon Miller's coach He thought He was going to GT and he changed his mind very very close to Decision time today...Newburg said tonight that people didnt realize how close The choice for Miller was...As ive said..That is Why Im so high on Chan Gailey...We have never recruited this well at Dline..this has LONG been GT's achilles heel......These guys will STILL have to prove it on the field...But things look good....

Re: Richards is no doubt

[ QUOTE ]
BOR mentions Battle and Simmons who while good recruits were not "national" recruits like Richards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me? Deshane Simmons was Super Southern 100 and being recruited by a ton of big time schools. I also think he was a super 11 but I could be wrong. He was highly rated by a lot of recruiting mags. He is unfortunately one of the bigger disappointments at Tech.

Battle was 6-5 300 lbs and got a ton of press by the AJC. Don't know if he was highly ranked by the gurus, but he certainly had some nice college offers to decide from.

I remember Battleship..One of my favorite alltime players (Of course you know I love Defense) But yeah Battle for sure was more of a southeastern Recruit...I dont remember too much about Deshane...

I do remember Simmons being a big time recruit. Battle was huge in size, but I can't remember what kind of honors he had in HS. I know Ross made a big deal about signing him.

Overall I think this is a good class. Especially on the defensive side of the ball, we've helped ourselves. But let's not get too carried away. I don't think it ranks with the best of O'Leary or Ross' classes, but it is solid and every guy in it looks like a player. It gives us a good foundation to build on. I'm particularly happy about the linemen as they should give us a lot of flexibility to move guys around to find their best side of the ball to contribute on.

One thing is for SURE....

It dont mean SQUAT..All these recruiting rankings and the accolades these guys have gotten in HS..They WILL have to prove it on the field and we can truly get a good picture 2 to 3 years down the road BUT..Your percentages for success go up as we keep bringing in these Highly sought after Dlineman..There is no reason now to assume we wont get players this calibre every year now..Our state of Georgia recruiting is and will get Better and better and surpass any Prior GT Coach's effort in time...Dan Reeves was right when he said That Native son Chan Gailey would be great for recruiting THIS State..

One side note: With the so many so- called Recruiting experts out there now..I think as time goes on that more and more of these guys will lose credibilty and people will slowly see how off most of these guys dont know much...Read the Miami Insiders board under The for free Recruiting forum...Their fans are ALL over Tom Lemming the So-Called Espn recruiting expert..He claims Miami barely made the top 25 and has Tulsa at no. 9 way ahead of Miami..When Jaime Newburg (i like him..He seems to be a very nice guy..I have no clue as to his actual Football knowledge But he is a nice guy) Ranks Miami in the top 3 And says they may be No.1..

More and more guys are jumping into the lucrative Recruiting Ranking game and feeding off Rabid fans.. I think more and more they will lose credibility...I will say that for sure that this is my opinion and others may have a different opinion..as for now I will call them like Chan did..SO-CALLED recruiting experts..As Big John has said "They will have to prove it on the field and as Tommy Nobis once told him..Something to the effect " Reputation doesnt mean Squat..You have to go out and prove it on the field" Im willing to bet Chan has a few of these not so highly ranked guys that will flat out play some of the Highly ranked guys..Only time will tell!!!

Re: One thing is for SURE....

I could be wrong, but I believe I read in USA Today this morning that Lemming had Miami's class in his Top 5.

Chili...He may have NOW...But if you will go back

to yesterday..The Miami Fans were trashing him and I dont mean a couple of fans but the Masses...He had them barely top 25 yesterday...And this JOKE of a So-Called expert makes MORE changes in his rankings than any of the so-called experts..Every week he makes adjustmments..He is a picture of The fallacy involved in this blossoming industry..UM as others think he is a Joke...

Re: Chili...He may have NOW...But if you will go back

Yeah, I wonder why he had them so low. It might've been that they didn't have many players actually commit until yesterday, but I don't really know.

I've never put too much faith in recruiting experts because of something I saw growing up in Birmingham. Forrest Davis, southeast recruiting guru, is a HUGE Bama fan. He had a habit of increasing the number of stars of players Bama was recruiting / had committed, in order to make their class look better.

Some of these guys are a joke.

Also, how was Calvin Johnson not on USA Today's Top 100 list they ran today??? There were 7 or 8 other WR's on the list. D Richard was on there, though...

I forgot about that dude..Forrest Gump..

I can relate to you there Chili..He used to make me mad the same way.On his Sat. Show he was like Alabama this Alabama that..He was obvious Pro-Alabama just like the Ajc reporters are Pro-Uga...

Another thing I thought was pretty funny..I remember Larry Munson making a funny Remark Concerning Max Howell.When a ugag fan asked him about Max...Quote Larry " He is SUPPOSE to be some kind of recruiting expert or something" Remember Max? He was THE so-called recruiting expert a few years ago to some people...Max Emfinger was another earlier So-CALLED expert..That I thoght was way off on his estimates...One common bond for most of these guys...They are not good enough to be Coaches at any level..So they go out and make Bucks making you think they know something...imho.. No wonder so many Head Coaches like Spurrier make wise cracks about them...

BOR you are wrong

I have been following recruiting for 20 years. Kevin Battle and Deshay Simmons while both good recruits attracted interest from school in the southeast hence they were "regional" recruits. Darrel Richard attracted offers from Notre Dame, LSU, UCLA, Miami, and GT just to name a few. He was a "national" recruit hence he was more highly recruited.

Sorry...

I don't remember it that way at all and I was in college when he was being recruited. I remember Deshane being very heavily recruited and one of our biggest pickups in that class. Was it the class of 1993? That one was rated pretty high if I remember.

It's easy to sit here and talk about today's class because we got the ratings right in front of us. It's easy to lose perspective on the old classes and how those guys were regarded. Deshane Simmons was a BIG Time Recruit. Just because he happened to be in our region doesn;t mean he was a regional recruit. I thought Deshane made a few AA lists.

Guys...I know I love Gailey (simply because of

his philosophy Defense..Defense Defense) and the character of the man...And my all time favorite Defense we had was in the mid 80's The BLACKWATCH defense...GT's best since the Dodd era....

But, I will say this, At least on the Defensive side of the Ball...We have NOT recruited this good of talent since the Bobby Dodd era...I could care less what some so-called Recruiting expert says...On Defense we have NOT brought in this kind of talent...In just 2.5 years of recruiting under Gailey...

David Brown, Daryl Richard, Darryl Robertson, Elris Anyaibe, Travis Chambers, Kenny Scott were ALL National Recruits...We were very much in it till the end for Brandon Miller and Ronnie Palmer and up until January in it with The stud Safety and LB UF got and some others im probably missing...Now before anyone brings up Chambers whom Lsu and GT offered..He could have signed ANYWHERE as he was an early Commit (One of those the other poster gave as an example) and only the 2 offers were reported..But what im saying IS...We have NOT recruited this well on the Defensive side of the Ball..In MY memory which stretches back to 1966 as far as recruiting...We are after NATIONAL type recruits...Gailey said the main emphasis is on Defense..I like what Belly said a couple of months back (He thought we were building toward an Lsu type defense) I believe he is right on...I know some of you are worried about our Offense recruits and we will have to wait a couple of more years to see if this philosophy truly works BUT I think We will all be proud of the results....

BoR - you just proved HIS point

if he was a Super SOUTHERN 100, then he is a REGIONAL recruit - makes sense, no?

If you could have said, USA top 100 then it would have been NATIONAL

its a matter of definition, not opinion

For the Record:

For the record, Here's the skinny on Deshane Simmons when he committed in 1994, once again per the Stat Master Fathead...

Simmons, DeShaan DL Duluth, Ga. 6'04" 235 4.9– AJC Super Southern 100, Top 50 in Ga., USA Today 1st Team A.A., Super Prep A.A., #13 DL-I-USA, #18 P-I-Dixie, 10.00 Jeff Whitaker

USA Today 1st Team All-American
10.00 Jeff Whitaker - only other one I remember signing was Quincy Carter.

Hard to get a "bigger tag" than this line

update: Looking over my records, the following were Jeff Whitaker 10.00 recruits:
2001 class
Reuben Houston
AJ Suggs

2000 class
Jimmy Dixon
Hobie Holiday

1996 class
Quincy Carter

1995 class
Joe Hamilton

1994 class
Deshaan Simmons

I think that would indicate that Deshane was a National Recruit even if he happened to be in our region. But that's just my opinion.

Back