In depth analysis: Who else offered our kids?

Listen folks...

I'm not trying to pass off this analysis as the end all be all of a rating. It is a good indicator and that's about it. Nor am I saying we have all the necessary information. We don't. So I won;t even go into that. I think the info that we do have is good enough to provide these figures and give them some validity as to where we are. Sure it is not complete, and sure there are exceptions, I simply did the analysis based on what we did have to see what it looked like. I'm not saying by any means that this is THE WAY to rate a class. You cannot do that until they graduate from Tech.

Re: you do not have all of the necessary information.

nc, all you have to do is look at the top 2 or 3 offers as a meaningful comparison. Using the SAME albeit flawed source to compare two schools will tell you a lot. THWG

Re: Some good points NcJacket....Offers alone

[ QUOTE ]
can not be used to judge a class EITHER....There are many cases where that is decieving...Kids like the Johnson kid out of MO. We did NOT offer but he claimed we did. There was also a story from last year that I read that a certain BigTime school offered a kid because he told them someone else had offered and they found out that No other Big Schools had offered..He ended up signing and the Head Coach was hot about it..If anyone remembers that story and the school it was Remind me...It was i believe Lsu or Oklahoma? Also some kids are told by certain coaches they have a Sholly waiting for them But it is NOT reported...A lot of things/Offers go on behind the scenes Info.Us avg. fans are not Privy too. One other big factor as to not relying on offers alone IS as was the case For Darius Walker, He was not offered by Some schools like ugag as they DONT need RB's. (Now I know he was offered by some good schools..But there are some very good players that dont get offered (One poster just gave a great example of ones GT got from his area that have gone on to the NFL)A lot of times certain schools dont offer as it wouldnt be a good fit (i.e. Depth they already have or Style of play they play that would not fit a player that might fit our style of play i.e. a Running team as we are )Inside info. from Buford and his Dad also indicated that there was a good possibilty Walker would have signed with GT had it not been that we ARE loaded at RB. His Dad said, that Darius wanted early PT and that that eliminated GT..At Notre Dame he will get a shot at early PT..

I like your main point...The real question as Chan has stated, CAN this prospect play at this level and CAN he help us and DOES he fit our system...imho

can you imagine what everyone would have been saying Had Walker (whom many said and some last night on TV WAS the best player in this State and Not Miller) signed with GT...In a year where we were graduating some RB's it would have been likely...

[/ QUOTE ]

BW, the guy you are talking about was a WR from the Pittsburg area that in fact committed to GT. He had sent info on himself to all the recruiting services with some bogus stats from his junior year. He reported offers from a ton of schools and then reported commiting to GT. He was ranked as a 3 star WR by Rivals and Insiders until all of the sudden Scott Kennedy or someone called his HS coach. When his Coach found out about all that he laughed and told them this kid wasn;t cut out to play football at any level. Once they realized that the kid was a fraud they erased him from the database.

There is also a story that was run last year about a guy who made up this figment DL lineman from Gulf Port Mississippi that was supposed to be all world back in the early 90's. Apparently he got rated a 4 or 5 star recruit by about every mag out there. Coaches actually called his High school asking for game film, and others actually offered this bogus guy a scholarship. A coach from Ole Miss actually drove down tot he HS in the middle of no where to meet the kid, when the HS coach was like "Who the hell are you talking about." Anyway, the bogus recruit ended up getting like 4 scholarship offers. Forest Davis I think was the one who exposed the whole thing. But it's funny to say the least.

Bor...those are funny stories BUT Im talking

about another case and I believe it was last Feb.2003 and I could swear it was either Okl. or Lsu or some school out in the Big Twelve area..Darn it I cant remember which school for sure..But I was shocked, because this Kid actually signed with the school and is getting a free ride...I wish someone could come up with the Instance? It may of been February 2002 if that would help...

Bor..i will say that Offers probably are the more Accurate way to judge a class (Althogh you cant SOLELY base it on that) Even, David Wilson said that THIS year we are starting to recruit against the very best schools and that tells him we have made significant progress.. the coaches that are recruiting these kids probably have a lot more accurate picture about who they are going against as compared to these services...

P.S.

The kid im talking about for GT was Jarrell Johnson (wasnt that his name) FROM This year...Out of St.Louis MO. He claimed we offered and it was reported by all the Services..AND Gailey came out on signing day and said we NEVER offered...Am I not right on that guys??

Re: Bor...those are funny stories BUT Im talking

[ QUOTE ]
about another case and I believe it was last Feb.2003 and I could swear it was either Okl. or Lsu or some school out in the Big Twelve area..Darn it I cant remember which school for sure..But I was shocked, because this Kid actually signed with the school and is getting a free ride...I wish someone could come up with the Instance? It may of been February 2002 if that would help...

Bor..i will say that Offers probably are the more Accurate way to judge a class (Althogh you cant SOLELY base it on that) Even, David Wilson said that THIS year we are starting to recruit against the very best schools and that tells him we have made significant progress.. the coaches that are recruiting these kids probably have a lot more accurate picture about who they are going against as compared to these services...

P.S.

The kid im talking about for GT was Jarrell Johnson (wasnt that his name) FROM This year...Out of St.Louis MO. He claimed we offered and it was reported by all the Services..AND Gailey came out on signing day and said we NEVER offered...Am I not right on that guys??

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right BW about Jarrel. The story about the WR from Pittsburg happened last year. Can't remember the kids name but I remember when he committed everyone on the Hive got all excited. I think he was committed to us for like a week before the crap hit the fan.

Back