guess this close's the book on O'leary...

law_bee

Dodd-Like
guess this close\'s the book on O\'leary...

Big Nat was drafted by ...YES, O'leary's former team the Minn Vikings! This actually explains a lot. I wish Nat the best and hopefully he can perform well for his new boss. Sometimes when you have a coaching change some GOOD players never adjust to the new style.

Only time will tell whether Nat can get it together and play up to his potential. GOOD LUCK NAT!

*the WHOLE team is CG's from here on out

Well, not quite

If you're referring to recruiting them. This was Coach G's 3rd recruiting season. Ergo, the 4th & 5th yr players were recruited by Coach O.
The starters are still mostly those recruited by O'L. The O players are Curry, Logan, D Williams, Besarevic, Honeycutt, Tidwell-Neal, Robinson(maybe), Wallace, Daniels, Dixon that were recruited & signed by O'L.
The D players are Henderson, Parker, Wilkinson, Houston, Landry, Butler that were recruited & signed by O'L.
Almost zero of O'L's players have ever been beaten out by a Gailey recruit.

well I think you should consider....

*before I get into this the reason for my post was I think even the O'l recruits left I believe have bought into the system, conversely Nat never bought into the system.

Landry was not on defense when O'leary was here. Hollings was on defense.

List of CG recruits ahead of O'leary recruits

Reggie qb (beat out last years O'leary recruits)
McGuire wr
Cooper te
Anoai dt
Wrotto dt
Moore lb
Scott cb

*this is all based on the Spring Depth Chart posted on RR.com...and b/c these players are younger I believe this is not an insignificant number

JR players that were redshirted owe their development to CG and staff.

Specifically PJ, Henderson, and T. Parker. In fact the group we just lost are the only players (that I recall) ever having significant minutes. Like I said the reason for the post is I feel the team that takes the field will all be "Gailey" players. Gailey has already said he expect 12+ freshmen to play. Notice he said a freshmen would be starting QB during spring of last year and that was a sound prediction.

Our running game this year(if we stay healthy) will be as good as it ever was under O'leary/Fridge. PJ has lost some weight and he is able to get to the corner MUCH faster than last year. I hope all this translates into wins but we are going to have to wait and see.

Re: well I think you should consider....

[ QUOTE ]
*before I get into this the reason for my post was I think even the O'l recruits left I believe have bought into the system, conversely Nat never bought into the system.

Landry was not on defense when O'leary was here. Hollings was on defense.

List of CG recruits ahead of O'leary recruits

Reggie qb (beat out last years O'leary recruits)
McGuire wr
Cooper te
Anoai dt
Wrotto dt
Moore lb
Scott cb

*this is all based on the Spring Depth Chart posted on RR.com...and b/c these players are younger I believe this is not an insignificant number

JR players that were redshirted owe their development to CG and staff.

Specifically PJ, Henderson, and T. Parker. In fact the group we just lost are the only players (that I recall) ever having significant minutes. Like I said the reason for the post is I feel the team that takes the field will all be "Gailey" players. Gailey has already said he expect 12+ freshmen to play. Notice he said a freshmen would be starting QB during spring of last year and that was a sound prediction.

Our running game this year(if we stay healthy) will be as good as it ever was under O'leary/Fridge. PJ has lost some weight and he is able to get to the corner MUCH faster than last year. I hope all this translates into wins but we are going to have to wait and see.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you are saying...and agree for the most part. All of the players left really have the new staff's mark...with the last of any potential lingering loyalties gone...which is natural of course.

Several players had felt Coach O had already mentally left during his last season...he had been talking to ND since the day after the Navy game that year. Heck...even Bobby Bowden congratulated him on getting the ND job at midfield after the FSU game.

I hope CG wins a ton of games for the Jackets....and I hope Coach O wins a lot of games for the Golden Knights.

Everyone has to remember circumstances are completely different now from an academic standpoint with the NCAA rules...and the GT football programs is having to evolve to meet those.

Re: guess this close\'s the book on O\'leary...

I predict Nat will make roughly 4 or 5 mil total in his venture into NFL football. He will then enter private society a wealthy man.

Something to consider on O\'Leary\'s recruits--

It would be easy to use team performance vs. NFL draft to compare O'Leary's vs. Gailey's recruits, but if you do that, please keep in mind that O'Leary was recruiting after coming off of back-to-back-to-back wins over UGAg, back-to-back-to-back seasons in which Tech had been rated top 10 at some time during the season, and a 6 year period in which he had amassed time to develop his program, make his contacts and bring his people in. The 2002 recruiting class really shouldn't be credited to anyone. O'Leary's staff was zeroing in on bringing in tremendous recruits such as the 2 WR's who went to Notre Dame, Steve Breaston who is now a star at Michigan was a kid we were still in the running for even after Gailey arrived, among others. Gailey basically wound up settling for the guys that were solid with Tech plus whoever else he could talk into it on short shrift. Although I still don't know how much guilt to assign to Gailey for it, the program's overall progress was set back by flunkgate too. We may be in for a lull, but if we are patient, I think Gailey will ultimately bring us back to the level we were at in 1999-2001.

Re: Something to consider on O\'Leary\'s recruits--

Ja vol, mein hauptmann! Good post! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

FHstinger
deutschland.gif

Re: Something to consider on O\'Leary\'s recruits--

Gailey is THE man.

George was good for TECH, no doubt. Chan is better. We're going places with CCG. A different route with a different man.

I keep thinking "hit the TE over the middle. run it up the gut and play smashmouth defense." We're getting there.

Back