GT top ten wins; Dodd era forward

Beating UGA in 1949 and starting the streak of 8 in a row over them !
My Dad ( Jimmy Southard) scored the winning TD
The best stuff in the world! Old UGa fans still remember that stretch with total disdain. Today’s football world won’t ever know the wonder of Dodd’s magic!

One of my greatest desires vs ugag is that they NEVER beat the margin of victory or # of games won in a row we have over them.

Our sacred duty until the end of days.

That one was huge at the time, it was the game that really put us in the championship discussion that year.

35-18 vs UGA (1984?) was a big game too. It symbolized that the football program had climbed out of the abyss.

This.

Yes, 1984. I was there -it was awesome, 35-6 in the 3rd quarter. Dooley kicked a field goal late in the 3rd and those in red and black headed for the exits in droves. Curry even gave up a safety. First time I actually saw GT defeat UGA, either on TV or in person, and it was damn euphoric being there in person for it.

GT vs FSU 2015

“What a time to be alive!”

Awesome ending, obviously, but the game kind of sucked and was pretty inconsequential given the season we had. I don't think it would make my top 10 of the CPJ era, let alone since Dodd.

The tie when ND was #1 was in 1980 at Grant Field under Curry. I was present. A great game. After the tie UGA moved to #1.
you beat me to it. Good catch. And you're right, we caused Georgia to hop over Notre Dame.

Beating UGA in 1949 and starting the streak of 8 in a row over them !
My Dad ( Jimmy Southard) scored the winning TD
My dad, IM '50, always raved about Jimmy Southard through my childhood. Always wanted Tech to have smaller, speedy backs. :bowrofl:. You, sir, are Tech royalty.

I like your list. I thought about the ‘69 game vs Ga...turned a series that was heavily in Ga’s favor. 3 ints from Bubba Hoats that day
I was in the student section at that game. Woke up from a coma at a filling station at I-285 and Roswell Road. Perdoni played well that day, too.

That one was huge at the time, it was the game that really put us in the championship discussion that year.

35-18 vs UGA (1984?) was a big game too. It symbolized that the football program had climbed out of the abyss.
We went 6-4-1 that year, but three loses were by one score.

To me the greatest was Nov 15, 1952: Tech 7, Alabama 3. This was the decisive game in Tech's 1952 National championship year. I think this may have been the first nationally televised college football game. As I recall, Alabama had a first down on the Tech five yard line leading 3 - 0 in the second half and a chance to ice the game.... but Tech's great defense held and Tech scored later to win the game! A fabulous picture of the fourth down tackle of Alabama's big halfback by Tech's little DB Jackie Rudolph occupied the entire wall behind Dean of Students Griffin's office desk for many years. (The Alabama QB was a young Bart Starr. Alabama went on to beat Syracuse in the Orange Bowl 61 - 6.)

The best back in the early 50's vintage Bobby Dodd Georgia Tech 6 SMU 4 best defense I've ever seen Pepper at QB. I was there as a young teenager but still remember the game. Now I'm in my 80's and remember the game like it was yesterday.

To me the greatest was Nov 15, 1952: Tech 7, Alabama 3. This was the decisive game in Tech's 1952 National championship year. I think this may have been the first nationally televised college football game. As I recall, Alabama had a first down on the Tech five yard line leading 3 - 0 in the second half and a chance to ice the game.... but Tech's great defense held and Tech scored later to win the game! A fabulous picture of the fourth down tackle of Alabama's big halfback by Tech's little DB Jackie Rudolph occupied the entire wall behind Dean of Students Griffin's office desk for many years. (The Alabama QB was a young Bart Starr. Alabama went on to beat Syracuse in the Orange Bowl 61 - 6.)
You may be right there. Probably should have included that game. I think they called it the “$125,000 tackle” at the time

Yukonwreck ,
Many thanks for the Very nice words regarding my Dad. He was the Starting QB for GT 47-49’. He didn’t say too much about his career and was always Very humble about it ! I was his biggest fan & he gave me his HOF ring from GT !
John Southard

Honorable mention to the 2008 game against FSU. 99 UGAg has to be up there too.
Beating #3 VPISU in 2009?
All three of these. I was there for the FSU and VPI games. That Florida State finish set off what is still the most insane, unhinged celebration I've ever seen at BDS. The energy for the 2009 VPI win was incredible, palpable. That win felt pre-ordained. I was 12 years old and watching from my grandmother's house when we beat Georgia in 1999. I had been bouncing around in a state of mindless anxiety all game. At the end of regulation, she was saying something about how it looked like Sanks was "down" (lmao ok) but I was too busy running around the house screaming to pay her any mind. George Godsey and Luke Manget became gods that day.

Wasn't there that game against ND where Pepper Rogers practiced Wishbone in secret all year, surprised ND with it and ending up tying when they were #1? It's before my time, but I think that's awesome.

I think in 1976 we beat them at Grant Field. Gary Lanier ran the wishbone and never threw a pass.

The best back in the early 50's vintage Bobby Dodd Georgia Tech 6 SMU 4 best defense I've ever seen Pepper at QB. I was there as a young teenager but still remember the game. Now I'm in my 80's and remember the game like it was yesterday.

Wow, 2 safeties?

Wow, 2 safeties?
One of my favorite stories is the 1946 game with LSU at Baton Rouge. LSU was #1, and favored to win the National Championship. Their players belittled Tech prior to the game. Dodd had his team more than ready, and destroyed them. With Tech leading 26-7, they picked off a LSU pass on the last play. The Tech player was running it back for a TD, and they shut the lights off during the middle of the run.

Back