Fire Ted Roof

So you guys want Roof to blitz and defend the bubble screen at the same time? I would love to hear someone explain how that is done.
No. I want him to play defense like his ass is on the line. Not go into some sort of weird defense that allows 10 yard passes over and over to stop the clock. There should have been ONE bubble screen allowed.

No. I want him to play defense like his ass is on the line. Not go into some sort of weird defense that allows 10 yard passes over and over to stop the clock. There should have been ONE bubble screen allowed.
I would have understood 2. What we saw was complete insanity.

I like CTR, I like his recruiting and I like his Defense... What I do not like is our lack of depth (Our MLB, Mitchell goes out and all of a sudden we are giving up 20 yds a rush).... However I think we are on the rise... Or I hope we are...

I think our defensive recruiting is improving and our overall defense is improving slightly each season under coach roof; but the things that drove me nuts in 1999 and 2001 are still driving me nuts.

I like CTR, I like his recruiting and I like his Defense... What I do not like is our lack of depth (Our MLB, Mitchell goes out and all of a sudden we are giving up 20 yds a rush).... However I think we are on the rise... Or I hope we are...

Mitchell’s backup is true freshman Bruce Swilling. He’s going to be a really good one but he needs reps. Luckily he got some yesterday.

So Mitchell, Benson and our kicker are out indefinitely - along with important depth along our OL. (did I hear Shamire as well?)
So if they aren't able to come back quickly..... we will be truly hosed

Why is no one mentioning that our offense only scored 3 points in the 2nd half? That seems like the difference to me.
Not to split hairs, but I don't consider the offense responsible for those points even if they're recorded as such.

The actual "offense" got our special teams into position to score three points in the 2nd half. Special teams scored all of our 2nd half points and accounted for half of our total points overall considering the three XP's, kick return and field goal.

Offense got what appears to be 96 total yards in the 2nd half and put zero points on the board themselves

We always brag that CPJ will run the same play over and over until the other team stops it.
Checkmate, Richt won doing what we do.

That's exactly what I was thinking about as they were doing it to us. Not much fun.

Miami scored 24 points on FSU, which is the fewest points they've scored this season. They scored 25 on Tech. Our defense is doing well enough to win games if the offense doesn't get shut down for a half or turn the ball over.
Good post, thanks

The defense did pretty well for the majority of that game. That still doesn't make our performance on that final drive any less infuriating or inexcusable.

To be fair, though, 90% of the time our offense grinds out the clock on at least one of those final drives. If Stewart hangs onto that 3rd down pass or Braun doesn't slip while trying to block in space, that final drive doesn't even happen because we run the clock out.

Miami scored 24 points on FSU, which is the fewest points they've scored this season. They scored 25 on Tech. Our defense is doing well enough to win games if the offense doesn't get shut down for a half or turn the ball over.
and if Ted Roof didn't call his bend-but-dont-break bullshit defense at the end of each half we would've allowed like 14 points to Miami. He gifted them a touchdown at the end of the first half and of course the game winning FG at the end of regulation.

But hey we only gave up 25 points!

and if Ted Roof didn't call his bend-but-dont-break bullshit defense at the end of each half we would've allowed like 14 points to Miami. He gifted them a touchdown at the end of the first half and of course the game winning FG at the end of regulation.

But hey we only gave up 25 points!

Serious question: How do you know that they wouldn't have scored if he played defense differently?

Serious question: How do you know that they wouldn't have scored if he played defense differently?
held them to 15 points the rest of the game not playing his crappy 2-minute defense

held them to 15 points the rest of the game not playing his crappy 2-minute defense

Everyone knows I like CTR and all, but that final drive is very curious. We had held them to drives of 5 plays and 4 plays in their previous two possessions, but in between we had possessions of 3 plays and 4 plays ourselves.

With 2:30 on the clock and them with the ball at their own 8 yard line, I feel like the plan was to force them to beat us with 5 yard gains. And it seems like the plan was mostly working. Had we made more tackles at first contact, it would've worked. I'm not even sure the blown 4th and 10 was the issue, as I'm not convinced that the chop block call was correct. I could be wrong on that though.

Bottom line is that if we had just one TD in the 2nd half, the game would've been out of reach for them. We were controlling the field position battle. Starting field positions in our last four drives were: 19, 40, 27 and 45. Only one of those times did we manage to push the ball across the field.

Reactions: eg1
Everyone knows I like CTR and all, but that final drive is very curious. We had held them to drives of 5 plays and 4 plays in their previous two possessions, but in between we had possessions of 3 plays and 4 plays ourselves.

With 2:30 on the clock and them with the ball at their own 8 yard line, I feel like the plan was to force them to beat us with 5 yard gains. And it seems like the plan was mostly working. Had we made more tackles at first contact, it would've worked. I'm not even sure the blown 4th and 10 was the issue, as I'm not convinced that the chop block call was correct. I could be wrong on that though.

Bottom line is that if we had just one TD in the 2nd half, the game would've been out of reach for them. We were controlling the field position battle. Starting field positions in our last four drives were: 19, 40, 27 and 45. Only one of those times did we manage to push the ball across the field.

You can't block low coming back to the inside. It was the right call. Austin was going to beat the block so the guy cut him. Was Austin going to make the tackle if he wasn't cut? IDK. Maybe. Maybe not.

Just watched FSU let Loserville go straight down the field in the last 2 minutes to lose the game. Be glad we didn't retain Charles Kelly, he can't even run a defense with FSU level talent.

Back