Fire Ted Roof

I thought the defense played pretty well overall. That soft play calling at the end was terrible and classic Roof. Still, should have won minus a super lucky bounce.
Except that those lucky bounces happen to our defense all too often.

Least clutch defense I've ever seen.

Except that those lucky bounces happen to our defense all too often.

Least clutch defense I've ever seen.

Yep. Remember this?

Of course, this was the year after Blewitt hit his career long 56 yarder to win that year.

This is GT football. If you don't like being punched in the gut, go somewhere else.

We went for it on 4th and 1 from our own 30 in that game with 2 minutes left...had forgotten that. FML.

A team should never be able to go 85 yards in a minute or so.

I expect Wake Forest to run 50 bubble screens next week. The bubble screen call by Miami was nothing but a simple check. Richt is a hell of a coach to know that is what we were giving him and he knew he could make it down the field throwing it. Plenty of time in CFB to throw that and line back up with the clock stopping. We should have played our normal defense. Wet ball and rain would have made long passes difficult.

The defense played a good game overall, but the last drive was terrible defensive coaching

This thread is ridiculous. If you really want change, fire CPJ and banish the triple option/flexbone offense. In three possessions in the 4th quarter, with the game in jeopardy, this ballyhooed offense gained 13 yards and had 1 first down. You can't lay an egg like that and expect the defense to keep bailing you out. You can't beat top teams without an offense. This team isn't supposed to be putting the defense right back on the field over and over again. It is supposed to be a run the clock, limit the number of possessions, don't let the other offense get in a rhythm offense; none of that happened. Tell me what adjustments the offense made; because I didn't see any the whole second half.

Offense should be great next week because they just had two weeks off and weren't on the field long enough in the second half to get sweaty.

Why is no one mentioning that our offense only scored 3 points in the 2nd half? That seems like the difference to me.

Why is no one mentioning that our offense only scored 3 points in the 2nd half? That seems like the difference to me.
I’ve mentioned it. The whole team öööö the bed the second half. That does not take away from the fact that the last Miami drive was a defensive play calling öööö up of epic proportions.

A team should never be able to go 85 yards in a minute or so.

I expect Wake Forest to run 50 bubble screens next week. The bubble screen call by Miami was nothing but a simple check. Richt is a hell of a coach to know that is what we were giving him and he knew he could make it down the field throwing it. Plenty of time in CFB to throw that and line back up with the clock stopping. We should have played our normal defense. Wet ball and rain would have made long passes difficult.

The defense played a good game overall, but the last drive was terrible defensive coaching
This. And there's a simple solution: modify Roof's headset in the booth to also receive the ESPN commentary. The benefits are two-fold. First, even Gilmore noticed the screen problem along with the rest of us and was pointing it out long before any sort of adjustment was made, so this will let Ted know when he's missing something really simple that's costing us the game. Second, it's not just Gilmore, Mark Jones is in there too and after about 10 seconds of listening to that, Roof will undoubtedly be in a rage state and we will blitz the öööö out of our opponent for the rest of the game.

I try to remember that Roof isn't actually a moron and there must be some reason why we kept giving them the screens to burn us with, but since I don't know what that reason is, it's just really frustrating and confusing. I don't believe, however, there's any valid reason he could give for the soft/prevent late-game calls.

I think most agree with that.

It's just that last um drive with the horrible coverage calls to start the drive, with the lucky ass catch at the end, burned itself in our brains.

Yep We had a first and goal at the 8 turn into 4th and goal at the 15. Also a turnover on downs earlier in the game because we cant kick anything but chip shots. The D was plenty frustrating to watch at tines, too, the last drive most notably. But the O had so many chances to put them away.

Once Mitchell left the game, we could not defend the run. If Roof defended the screen, they would have checked to the run and the result would have been the same.

Once Mitchell left the game, we could not defend the run. If Roof defended the screen, they would have checked to the run and the result would have been the same.
Except the clock runs if we get a tackle on a run up the middle for no first down. I'd rather take my chances with them running the ball to FG range than see them run bubble screens for 10 yards a pop and get out of bounds every play.

So you guys want Roof to blitz and defend the bubble screen at the same time? I would love to hear someone explain how that is done.

So you guys want Roof to blitz and defend the bubble screen at the same time? I would love to hear someone explain how that is done.

I just wanted him to adjust to the bubble screens sooner. Johnson said post-game that we should've adjusted to the bubble screen sooner. It was an obvious mistake by Roof. Defend Roof's overall performance if you want.

Back