Fire #GenericSpecialTeamsCoach

What if we didn't have Brenton King though? The #3 kicker can't even hit a PAT...

I think the solution is to recruit more kickers. But we really need OL, DL, and LBs too.
I’m just talking kickoffs. Can’t consistently not kick it oob

What if we didn't have Brenton King though? The #3 kicker can't even hit a PAT...

I think the solution is to recruit more kickers. But we really need OL, DL, and LBs too.
Barton the #3 kicker came in as Receiver but switched to kicker due to injuries. Without a chance to warm up he hit the upright in his only kick due to a bad snap and hold. He is more than capable and has consistently hit KO's into the end zone at practice. Plus he is a bigger body than King for KO coverage.
Stewart just made a mental mistake on the fair catch. He has done a great job!
We have one of the best punters in college football.
The biggest problem is we don't have a dedicated special team coach. It is split up between several coaches. Attention to detail does not exist and that hurts

The biggest problem is we don't have a dedicated special team coach. It is split up between several coaches. Attention to detail does not exist and that hurts
true-detective-cinematheia.gif

CPJ puts the 2 point conversions on himself:

On the two failed two-point conversions:

“Well that’s not special teams, that’s on me. The way we ran them, they were awful play calls. We tried to run the zone option on the first one that we worked on all week and the second one was a little rub route with three guys and we pulled it down and kept reverse field. We might could’ve run it but he tried to kill Clinton [Lynch] with it; he threw it like a low fastball. But I’ve coached long enough than to go chasing after those two points, especially in the third quarter. You know it was 21-19; everything is you got to go for two. You start chasing them and then you can’t get off them. You got to keep chasing them.”

http://www.ajc.com/sports/video-wha...-win-over-wake-forest/gnvuEJGdF8q4MlgyDYK1RM/

Barton the #3 kicker came in as Receiver but switched to kicker due to injuries. Without a chance to warm up he hit the upright in his only kick due to a bad snap and hold. He is more than capable and has consistently hit KO's into the end zone at practice. Plus he is a bigger body than King for KO coverage.

Good to know we're not doomed if King goes down. Maybe he can press King for KO duty.

Can't judge a kicker on one kick anyway. After all, our former starter Davis missed his first two kicks. And Butker was once "Kicky McCrappo"

Stewart just made a mental mistake on the fair catch. He has done a great job!
We have one of the best punters in college football.
thanks for being pro-S/A (seriously)

Gailey had bad special teams too,until he put starters on the unit. We need to do the same.

There is a direct correlation ( we like these terms,don't we?) between overall team depth and special teams performance. This is the Hill's fault.

As pj says...change the school.

I've made this point before, but it makes sense for us to offer scholarships to kickers and punters, because compared with factory schools we get more value out of doing so. A factory can use a scholarship to get a 4 or 5* DL player, so why would they waste a scholarship on a kicker? But for us, that's not the trade-off. It's giving up a 2* or 3* player for a potentially all-national kicker/punter. It's sort of counterintuitive.

Under CPJ, I believe we've recruited 3 kickers and 1 punter:
Justin Moore (flop)
Harrison Butker (worth several schollies)
Brenton King (OK, we'll see)
Pressley Harvin (great)

Under CPJ, I believe we've recruited 3 kickers and 1 punter
Wut? We didn't recruit any of the other kickers and punters we've had over the past 10 years? Or do you mean that only those four have received scholarship offers?

Wut? We didn't recruit any of the other kickers and punters we've had over the past 10 years? Or do you mean that only those four have received scholarship offers?
Yes, I meant offered scholarships to during recruiting.

It's the failure of CPJ. He doesn't get it until it's too late. I'm pulling for the new kid, King. But how hard is it to find somebody on campus that can boot the ball out of the end zone?

It's the failure of CPJ. He doesn't get it until it's too late. I'm pulling for the new kid, King. But how hard is it to find somebody on campus that can boot the ball out of the end zone?
Our KO team had better practice hard for the rest of this year for without Davis coming back or a stiff wind to our back, we will not be getting any touchbacks.

I would literally hold open kicking tryouts for ANYONE on campus every Sunday.

I can't really put the kicking thing on CPJ this time. He went out and got a commitment from one of the top kickers in the country and Saban poached him. About the only thing he could have done differently is try to recruit somebody prior to Butker's senior year. But you just can't burn a bunch of scholarships on it. I have no doubt that if we had somebody that could kick it out of the endzone consistently, we'd be using them.

Bump.

UVA's punter gets a gold star.

Harvin came back to earth today.

Kickoffs - same old, same old.

Back