Excellent OL assessment from young Mr Bass

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Exceptional view on our OL prospects by Ryan Bass of the Insiders. We have some very good starters, but precious little depth (Gailey needs to get some hosses in here, pronto). The OL appeared to be together in ST & is a strong starting unit.
The injury problems of Robinson, Brezina & Parker are holding back their progress & the progress of a decent 2-deep. Maybe they can all take part in Aug (crossing fingers).
Here's the excellent read:

The Yellow Jacket Offensive Line

interesting for this yr but we are hurting in OL in '05,we will be now dreaming of true Fr OL starters then,yikes

We will only lose 2 Olineman after this year (Tidwell-Neal and Wallace) Robinson (Due to a chronic health problem)is not being counted on for this year...

Returning for 2005 (barring injury) will be.... Johnson,Salih B.,Honeycutt,Tuminello,Rhodes,Parker,Brezina, and the 4 incoming Frosh.this year (who will be Redshirt Frosh in 2005) So that comes to 11 returning Olineman in 2005 not including Anyaibe if he is moved over that will be 12...We will be young but talented and we are definetly building toward the future...No doubt Chan will bring in 4 to 5 in the upcoming recruiting class..So the Oline area is being addressed...

[ QUOTE ]
We will only lose 2 Olineman after this year (Tidwell-Neal and Wallace) Robinson (Due to a chronic health problem)is not being counted on for this year...

Returning for 2005 (barring injury) will be.... Johnson,Salih B.,Honeycutt,Tuminello,Rhodes,Parker,Brezina, and the 4 incoming Frosh.this year (who will be Redshirt Frosh in 2005) So that comes to 11 returning Olineman in 2005 not including Anyaibe if he is moved over that will be 12...We will be young but talented and we are definetly building toward the future...No doubt Chan will bring in 4 to 5 in the upcoming recruiting class..So the Oline area is being addressed...

[/ QUOTE ]

Offensive line seems to be the one area that Chan Gailey seems pretty concerned over. If it is a concern this year... imagine next losing two of our anchors. I agree with Ace, we need some hauses and we need them in this class.

Ive heard Chan on a couple of occasions the last 2 months express his concern and asking for Gt fans to pray for no injuries THIS year on the OL. We are razor thin as far as experienced depth now, but in the next couple of years OL Depth will be fine, once the 5 incomiong Frosh, The 3 from last years class and Brezina along with the 4 to 5 we bring in next class all get experience..The depth is being addressed but we will be VERY young in this area for 2 years...

We have not even addressed the Tight End situation which can easily be considered 80% blocker.We do not have an obvious/established future for that position either with no underclassman steping up to dominate at this point.
Also-so yes, we do have some guys to fill those OL positions for the future but it might be a stretch to say all they need at this point to be competitive against the Miami and UGas of the world is experience.

Experience and strenghth and maturity should help tremendously with our OL in coming years..To say they wil or will not be able to compete against the Miami's of the world, Neither you nor I know for sure...But one thing is for Darn sure...We now have for the FIRST time since ive been following GT football (Over 40 years) The best Defensive Line Talent we have had....Oleary for all the good he did for our program (Bringing us back from disaster under Bill Lewis) Could NEVER land the Stud Dline recruits we needed to compare to a Miami or Fsu...And as Jimmie Johnson used to say "outside of QB..Dlineman are the most important Position on the field" The committment and ability to keep bringing in Fsu and Miami type talent on the Dline is one great reason Chan will have us near the top in the very near future....imho....

boy,that was quite a switch-from a total Off line discussion to the def line.
btw-I believe every guy except one on the front 7 last yr was recruited by GOL.

Which front 7 AlaGold, O or D? I think you are right about the offense but not totally on the D. Wrotto at least is a Gailey recruit, not sure about Parker, Brezina.

Wrong again Alabama....

Our INTERIOR Defensive lineman were ALL Recruited by Gailey/Tenuta::: WROTTO 6-4 310, ANOAI 6-3 275, NEWBERRY 6-0 310, and the 3 most highly rated INCOMING FROSH. DEFENSIVE TACKLES we ever signed (BROWN 6-3 265, ANYAIBE 6-3 280, RICHARD 6-4 295... Everyone knows the famed weakness of Oleary to NEVER get the Big Bad defensive Tackle we needed as the Fsu's and Miami's of the world routinely got...GAILEY is Not doing too shabby on the Defensive end recruiting Either with Darryl Robertson 6-5 220 and A.J.Smith 6-6 240 coming in, along with Adamm Oliver 6-4 265 who was redshirted last year Either....To say Oleary had a committment or ability to recruit Dlineman like Gailey would be just a lie...He couldnt and didnt...If he ever closed on a big ombre Which was rare (Leon Robinson=Example) He was quickly moved to Offense to accomadate Friedgen....

Im not intending to knock Oleary but he was even frustrated himself as to not getting War Daddies as he called them...I remember Chan and a Prospective Asst. (Who didnt come here but is now in the NFL as an asst. but was courted by Chan) Both saying that it would be no problem getting D.Tackles here to GT and in Fact Chan stated on his last Coaches show on Radio saying that his committment FIRST and foremost in recruiting was and will always be DEFENSE 1st...

We for the FIRST time now have a BIGTIME FUTURE on Defense as ALL the great Head Coaches will tell you it ALL starts Up front on the DLINE and we are NOW for the 1ST time are bringing in the DLINEMAN by the droves...I will say our 2 defensive ends Parker (Again Who was recruited by Oleary to play D.Tackle but again was undersized and was moved outside) and Henderson was recruited by Oleary BUT all the depth behind them are Gailey recruits. Tenuta is getting a lot out of these 2..They may end up being the best pair in the ACC... BUT ALL the INTERIOR DEF.TACKLES are GAILEY recruits..

So not trying to flame you, although i know you wish Oleary was here instead of Chan..But clearing up what I was saying and just stating the pure facts....

Injuries to the OL could kill us

Blackwatch, 2 of the OL u mentioned as returning next yr, Parker & Brezina, are injured badly enough that they did not participate in ST & Parker's injury is significant enough that there is major concern about his football playing future. This leaves us extremely thin @ OL & more injuries, minor/major, will continue to happen. We desperately need OL, which Gailey should not have allowed to get this depleted.
AlaGold, the TE position is not nearly as dire as any OL position. With rSr Darius Williams, rJr Gavin Tarquinio, rSo Mike Matthews & rSo George Cooper the Yellow Jackets have some depth & some talent. Williams played a lot last yr while Matthews has found his position & may start after a strong Spring. Cooper has the build/talent, but has not taken over as he could do.
This position is much deeper than any OL situation which couldn't go 3 deep anywhere in the Spring. To say that any of the incoming OL Fr in Aug will help our line is not realistic.
Just a thought; why hasn't Coach G gotten more OL? Is it him closing the deal, a lack of emphasis or maybe the assistant coaches just not hooking up with them in recruiting or maybe the position coach not nailing them? Anyway, something is wrong here.

Re: Injuries to the OL could kill us

Ace, haven't seen anything so drastic on Parker anywhere else. Where are you getting your info? Have I just missed it?

Personally I think it's just cyclical. O'Leary wasn't able to get the DL he targeted, but Chan is doing better on that front. OTOH O'Leary seemed to have a deeper pool on OL than Chan does. Closing is different on every kid and who we recruit against makes a difference as well. Some years you hit it and things take off from there. It's also interesting to see where kids were projected to play and where they actually do play once they're on campus. We've had some bad luck with OL as well, with kids we thought would be big time players who were injured and had to give up football.

BTW BlackWatch, I think you misinterpreted AlaGold's comments. He was making a point about last year's team. Not who we have coming in or who will be playing this year.

Just as people get upset by those who bring up O'Leary to make Chan look bad, why do others feel they have to denigrate O'Leary to make Chan look good? They are both good coaches. In fact, I think they are much alike in the kind of football they prefer to play. GO had the Fridge which was an advantage. But for my money, the biggest difference between them is temperment.

GTACE....Your WRONG !!!!

Parker is a Def. End NOT an Offensive Lineman....And Gailey has recruitied Olineman but not in the Droves he has at Dline...I will stand on my statement that IN THE LONG RUN...We will be a lot better CONSISTENT program under GAILEY than we were under Oleary....Oleary never come near closing on the Dlinemen Gailey has...FWI...The oline recruiting picked up this year his 3rd year on the Flats for Gailey...I would think that the Oline will be a major focus in the next couple of clases...The 4 possibly 5 (If Anyabie is moved over from dline) he brought in this year and the 3 from last year (Tuminello from last year has already won the Center job and was so impressive that Tidwell-Neal moved back to guard)

Gtace and AlaGold and TML...Come back and converse with me in May of 2005 and May of 2006 The 1 and 2 year mark of My debate with you 3 of where Gailey is taking our program..and we will see who is right about Gailey...Mark this date May 2004... (From all your past posts) You 3 gloom and doom guys who are bent on saying or at least subtly making suggestions over and over that Gailey has not to this point and will not Improve this Football program and I say he will!!!! We will see!!!!

Due to Flunkgate and the Toughest Schedule in the Nation in 2005 (At Auburn, At Miami, at VT ,at Uva and with ugag, Clemson and Maryland at home) I expect 7+ Wins and a Bowl Game in 2004 & 2005 BUT I expect us competing for the ACC Title in 2006 and beyond on a consistent basis!!! YOU 3 imply time and again we will not succeed under Gailey...So lets see who is right....Dont change your handles now just stand behind your Gloom and Doom predictions....

NcJacket...I dont mean to Knock Oleary when comparing Gailey to Oleary BUT...When I read time after time the Jabs these 3 make at Gailey I use it as a Comparison to these 3 that will NOT let it Go with Oleary...He is GONE...Get over it!!!...By no means do I mean any thing Personal against Oleary as he WAS GOOD for GT just as Bobby Cremins was GOOD for GT...But I feel the 2 Head coaches we have now in Gailey and Hewitt are coaches that can and will in time take us to higher levels than the 2 past coaches...FWIW..Ive followed GT Football for over 40 years and Oleary was my 2nd favorite Coach (Ross being number 1) and i feel in time Gailey will be my favorite coach after a championship or two...

Easy on the sauce, Blackwatch.

In your 1st post under this OL heading you penned the names of the OL returning for 2005. You listed a Parker returning to OL, which I assumed was Eddy Parker, our O lineman. Eddy Parker has a severely hurt shoulder right now. Ergo, I do not see a mistake on my part, but there might be one on your part.
Is your ire over a little OL posting & discussion getting you confused? Do u or do u not think our OL is very thin on depth?
PS: there is really no debate that Coach G has done slightly better bringing in DLs & slightly worse bringing in OLs. Whether this translates into Coach Chan improving or faltering on a very mediocre 7-6,7-6 record, which includes losing to a mediocre Fresno St & beating a mediocre Tulsa in very mediocre Bowls, remains to be seen.

My bad...Gtace...

It is hard for me to get used to 2 Parker's here...Im so used to just Travis but indeed we another one in Young Mr.Eddy Parker the Olineman..Ive been tied up all day with My Son's AAU BBall...But Sorry about that Ace...Yeah I have concerns EVERY year about The upcoming Season and Experienced Depth on the Oline worries me for the next 2 years..But im trusting Chan when he says that We will always find a way to move the Football and Defense is the main priority..At least as Emmitt Smith Said..Chan knows how to move the Chains...Keep in Mind Im partial to Defense as Black Watch is my handle...

Re: Easy on the sauce, Blackwatch.

BTW Ace, I sense you feel our program is kind of mediocre right now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol2.gif

Re: Wrong again Alabama....

BW,
you have jumped to a conclusion that I prefer GOL to CG.If you read NC Jacket reply ,he spoke well for me.I just believe that we are substituting improvement in the DL for a drop-off in the OL.
I love to have good DEf but the truth is our offense has been very average(pick any reason you want) and our DEF has been good -the last 2 yrs..I think we are going to see that continue with the lack of Olinemen one of the big reasons.
I'll be glad to revisit at the end of '05 to see how our Off was.

Alabama... Sorry if I have drawn the wrong

conclusion on you...Im old school and Prefer Great defense and Grind em out Ball Control Offense...So I guess im real partial to the type team Gailey is building...I also truly believe that Gailey will get all the Parts together with the Ol in the next 2 years..As David Wilson said "We are looking for a different type Olineman" Brezina seems to fit that mold as he was an Ex-Defensive lineman...Quick and Fast...So please forgive me if ive misread you!!!!

Back