Early signing in December approved

image.jpg

August would be better but this is a good start I guess

Methinks this will just result in more handwaving freakoutery around here... can you imagine if one of our recruits doesn't elect to sign in December and opts for February? The self doubt/introspection fraction of StingTalk will rise critically.

I'm not sure this will have much of an impact. First, the new signing day window is only about a month and a half prior to the traditional signing day. Second, I expect the only people who sign are those without lots of offers, those without the offers they really want and for which don't expect to receive said offers, and those who are truly committed. Since the early signing period is so close to the traditional signing day, anyone who's on the fence or is anticipating (or wishful thinking) that they will get the offer of their desire will just wait the extra month and a half.

To me, a true early signing period would occur sometime in summer. If early signing is in summer, players may be more inclined to sign even if they are on the fence about the school. If a summer signing period eventually happens, I think that would mean the coaches have to really work hard to understand which players actually want to attend the school and which players are just locking in an offer. If a player is just locking in an offer, then that player may eventually regret it and that may lead to issues down the road. Under the current structure, the ability to decommit mitigates post commitment regret since the player can decommit.

I think you underestimate the pressure all but the top players will be under when the coach says "sign or we are going to offer your slot to others"

Last few signing days have been super duper straightforward for us, have they not? I don't think too many of our guys would have passed on the December date if the recruiting cycle had that as a decision point. I bet we see something like 75% of our recruits over the next four years sign in December, which is great for us, because it frees up our resources to full court press on a few targets we might not have been competitive with before because of the overabundance of factory resources. The factories are going to have a much lower percentage of December signees because they chase a much higher percentage of hat ceremony guys, so comparatively they will be stretched much thinner in the new second phase of the recruiting cycle.

We can hit December as hard as possible and use this to peel off an additional blue chip or two each cycle, and that's going to be profound in this system. And consequentially, so can all of the other schools that typically have lower recruiting rankings. This is going to non-insignificantly dilute the advantage of schools like Georgia, even if it doesn't significantly increase our performance. Seriously, I'm stoked as hell for this change. Nothing but upside for us.

It gives the coach a better idea of what he needs to be recruiting for the February signing based on what he was able to sign in December. It also reduces the number of people coaches will have to focus on in January. We, the fans, will get our Christmases either ruined or elevated.

Last few signing days have been super duper straightforward for us, have they not? I don't think too many of our guys would have passed on the December date if the recruiting cycle had that as a decision point. I bet we see something like 75% of our recruits over the next four years sign in December, which is great for us, because it frees up our resources to full court press on a few targets we might not have been competitive with before because of the overabundance of factory resources. The factories are going to have a much lower percentage of December signees because they chase a much higher percentage of hat ceremony guys, so comparatively they will be stretched much thinner in the new second phase of the recruiting cycle.

We can hit December as hard as possible and use this to peel off an additional blue chip or two each cycle, and that's going to be profound in this system. And consequentially, so can all of the other schools that typically have lower recruiting rankings. This is going to non-insignificantly dilute the advantage of schools like Georgia, even if it doesn't significantly increase our performance. Seriously, I'm stoked as hell for this change. Nothing but upside for us.
This is the right mindset IMO. Even if only 5 out of our class of 20 decides to sign early, that's 5 less spots that CPJ has to worry about come signing day.

Also you gotta think the BAMAs of the world might not want kids to sign early, because they need to save space for all of the late 5-star switches they receive. So we, and others, could potentially use the December signing period as a recruiting tool-- "if you choose us you can sign today, or risk Bama/UGA/FSU cutting bait in Feb".

August would be better but this is a good start I guess
Anytime during senior year in high school ought to be fine. It is a college decision. It shouldn't be made into a sweepstakes. In that case, some schools would hold off on signing (like Bama) and some schools will get players signed as soon as possible (like GT).

Back