Does Our Conditioning Program Include...

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
the intense circuit training that FSU uses and Richt took to UGA? I understand you spend a few minutes at each station without a break and it is quite an obstacle course. I've heard that those that try it for the first time usually end up puking. Besides being physically challenging, I'm sure it builds mental toughness which wins those close 4th quarter games.

South Georgia Jacket

wonder if that is what is causing all those ....

I wonder if that is what is causing all those injuries at Ugag. You say what you want to but it sure seems they have had more injuries since Richt got there.

The NFL has the best training in the business and since that is where CG has been the past 10+ years he probably uses a similar system. I had heard that CG was not thrilled with the former conditioning guy. The new guy (I think from Tenn.) CG really likes. Conditioning has been a problem b/c of lack of substituions not physical training. IMO

Re: wonder if that is what is causing all those ....

LB, all those injuries do not seem to have slowed them down. Interesting comment about NFL having "best training in the business." You may be correct, I don't know, but a guy named Tarkenton once lived in my neighborhood and he told me that, for the most part, the players physical maturation was over at that point. It became more of a "brains" thing in the NFL. A former GT All-America DB that later played for Miami also told me the training part was nothing compared to the learning part of the game in the NFL.

Well, Dez's NFL training has made him look like a LB. I didn't even recognize him at the spring game. I thought he was a LB recruit or something.

Don't know what DB you're talking about, but Fran played so long ago I wouldn't think his experience has any relation to today's NFL.

Re: wonder if that is what is causing all those ..

For what its worth, my coach in HS pushed a similiar schedule to this. If you took more time to go between stations that neccessary you ware asking for it. While it was high school and the comparisons to college ball drop off quickly as far as talent goes, we didn't suffer any more or less injuries than any other team. Seems to work well with the "2 minute drill" mindset that a lot of coaches use.

This type of thing is becoming very popular in gyms around the country too, for average people trying to get into shape.

it isn\'t the drills with the ugag program...

It's the pace and demand for perfection that surround the drills.

Any school can do those drills. It's how you do them and how you punish/reward teammates for the performance of other teammates within the context of the drills that makes it work for them. The players for FSU say it's way more mental than physical.

I've read articles on FSU, NCSU and UGAg's approach on this. I got interested in the topic b/c a former FSU trainer was my neighbor a few years ago and talked a bit about it. It's amazing what goes into it to hear him talk.

And no, we don't do it. Most schools don't. Clemson "does the drills", but from what I understand they don't hold their kids to the same level of expectations as FSU and UGag. But obviously, I wouldn't know that for sure.

Separately - Ugag's injuries are related to contact at practice. Not the circuit/mat drills.

On a side note...the S&C coach at my HS knows the

TEch S&C coaches perosnally. He used to work with them. He says they are a good crew. Just wanted to pass that on.

Back