Dedrick Mills dismissed

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
A very underappreciated post. Kudos sir.
Most of my posts are under appreciated. I think it is because I'm just that much smarter than the rest of you.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
If they had drug tested the 1990 national championship team, I wonder how many would have passed.
That's not the point. After you've been caught once you stop. After you've been caught twice you hire somebody to follow you around and kick you in the nuts everytime you reach for a blunt.

You know the convo he and CPJ had after strike 2. Imagine the disappointment of having to look at your star BB and tell him he's done because he ööööing did it again.

B

Jolly Good Fellow
Imagine the disappointment of having to look at your star BB and tell him he's done because he ööööing did it again.
You are only disappointed the first few times that you have to do it. Then you start to realize that people make irrational decisions all the time. You get used to it if you have been around awhile as CPJ obviously has.
I don't know (or care) what this kid did. But as important as he thought FB at GT was to him, obviously he decided that something else was just a little more important. At the end of the day, you don't need these kind of people in your organization. All things considered, the negatives outweigh the positives. This guy didn't want to be at Tech bad enough to change behaviors. Wish him the best but it's time to look ahead to the guys who do want to be here and on the team.

gnats67

Dodd-Like
You are only disappointed the first few times that you have to do it. Then you start to realize that people make irrational decisions all the time. You get used to it if you have been around awhile as CPJ obviously has.
I don't know (or care) what this kid did. But as important as he thought FB at GT was to him, obviously he decided that something else was just a little more important. At the end of the day, you don't need these kind of people in your organization. All things considered, the negatives outweigh the positives. This guy didn't want to be at Tech bad enough to change behaviors. Wish him the best but it's time to look ahead to the guys who do want to be here and on the team.
Exactly. I doubt CPJ agonized over it much. I bet he wasn't even surprised. Dedrick did this to himself. Time to move on.

18in32

Petard Hoister
There's a lot of this attitude going around the board right now. I don't much care for it.

Mills was a great player. We have no idea what's happened. We can all be disappointed without having to be morally judgmental about Mills' self-centeredness or whatever other moral flaws we assume lie behind this. You don't know enough about the situation to justify having that attitude in your head.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
There's a lot of this attitude going around the board right now. I don't much care for it.

Mills was a great player. We have no idea what's happened. We can all be disappointed without having to be morally judgmental about Mills' self-centeredness or whatever other moral flaws we assume lie behind this. You don't know enough about the situation to justify having that attitude in your head.
This, a thousand times.

B

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't think my post is judgemental. I have to believe that the young man had to be made aware of both the rules and the consequences for failure to comply given his prior track record. (If this assumption is incorrect, and I highly doubt hat it is, then shame on the coaches and GTAA).He either made a decision to ignore the advice or to not be aware of the rules (ignorance of the law etc.) Which is a lapse of judgement if you are really serious about maintaining the scholarship. Doesn't make him a bad guy. Just sends a message about where his priorities are. I've seen it many times at work with people much older than this kid. Didn't make them bad people. In fact, I liked (personally) quite a few of the people I let go. I get the sense that CPJ likes the kid as well. Again I don't see how this can be construed as judgemental. OTOH, I can't really control what others think either.

Killick

“The past is never dead. It's not even past.”
Something tells me it might have something to do with the NCAA. Was their some impermissible benefit, and the GTAA did not want to mess around with a potentially ineligible player again. That would take out the legal and team rules and make it a GTAA thing.

18in32

Petard Hoister
I don't think my post is judgemental. I have to believe that the young man had to be made aware of both the rules and the consequences for failure to comply given his prior track record. (If this assumption is incorrect, and I highly doubt hat it is, then shame on the coaches and GTAA).
Being judgmental has nothing to do with the judgment and everything to do with the attitude, spirit, and tone with which it is delivered.

"Darling, you look fat in that dress" vs. "Darling, you are the prettiest woman in the world to me and you look your best in this [other] dress."

My apologies if I misread you. At this point I just feel bad for Mills, bad for the team, and bad for me.

Let's see how the season goes before we start blaming him! Who knows — we may not need to blame anyone ultimately (cf. Vad Lee).

law_bee

Dodd-Like
This.....

Also follow his career after transfer. Can't remember the last time someone was successful after something like this.

RaiderJacket

Varsity Lurker
Not surprised, not even disappointed. This scenario was the reason for my post 11/27 after the big win over our rivals. We'll be fine without him. We have some talent and depth this year and some players that I think are itching for a chance to play and show what they can do.

EastboundJacket

Damn Good Rat
This.....

Also follow his career after transfer. Can't remember the last time someone was successful after something like this.
I can. There are lots of them lately. Maybe not involving weed, but think Cam Newton, Isaiah Crowell (starting in the NFL now)... plenty of players who got in trouble and then succeeded

rsmith88

circular worm
Is he still in school? If so, could he be allowed back on the team next year?

I know the chances of this happening is almost nil, but just curious in general

EastboundJacket

Damn Good Rat
Honestly, I thought DEDrick (yep) would never survive the offseason. There were rumors about grades, and he'd already been in trouble twice. I was literally watching some of the spring game on Wednesday and thought "God, I can't believe he made it. I can't believe he's gonna suit up in 2017." What a heartbreaker...

I can't believe MM transferred, I really can't. Seems like he'd have the wisdom to foresee this. But he didn't and we've got some other good backs that can hopefully step it up. BB for us is a position where it's a luxury to have a great back. It brings a different dynamic if they're a home run threat. But we were also successful with Laskey and Synjyn back there in '14, neither were the type of athlete Mills was.