Butch Jones

Yeah?

As a head coach, Kirby Smart was visiting Butch in the hospital and he noticed a bowl of peanuts by his bed. Kirby to nibble the peanuts as they visited and by the end of the visit realized he had consumed the entire bowl. Feeling badly he bought a bag and brought them to Butch the next day. As he gave them to Butch he explained they were to replace those he'd eaten the day before. "Why you didn't need to do that Kirby", the Vols coach explained. "The thing is, I don't have any teeth, so when Lane Kiffin brings me chocolate-covered peanuts. Well, I just suck the chocolate off and spit the peanuts in the bowl."
I pronounced "peanuts" as "penis" for this story

Yeah, Kirby is safe barring a losing season, which is unlikely (but would be hilarious) or some hooker scandal. Anything worse than 9 wins and his seat is warm heading into year 3.

Yeah, Kirby is safe barring a losing season, which is unlikely (but would be hilarious) or some hooker scandal. Anything worse than 9 wins and his seat is warm heading into year 3.
His seat temperature depends on four games: Tennessee, Florida, Auburn and us. He's 1-3 in those games so far. If he does that again this year, but still wins 8 games, he'll be coaching for his job in every game of 2018.

How are they different for these purposes?

Kirby is in his 2nd year. Jones is in his 5th year. Not very likely that a coach is going to be canned in his 2nd year.

Kirby is in his 2nd year. Jones is in his 5th year. Not very likely that a coach is going to be canned in his 2nd year.
Mike-Price-WSU-Alabama-e1338406591775.jpg

I agree that is why they think Kirby is less likely to be fired than Butch. But that doesn't address the distinction you drew between the order of firing and the likelihood of firing. The question is: what is the difference between "Which SEC coach is most likely to be fired this year?" and "What is the likely order in which SEC coaches would be fired?" I'm genuinely curious, but no worries if you don't care to pursue it

I agree that is why they think Kirby is less likely to be fired than Butch. But that doesn't address the distinction you drew between the order of firing and the likelihood of firing. The question is: what is the difference between "Which SEC coach is most likely to be fired this year?" and "What is the likely order in which SEC coaches would be fired?" I'm genuinely curious, but no worries if you don't care to pursue it

Well I don't profess to know what goes into those odds, but I would guess that it goes something like this:

How many more bad seasons until Coach X gets fired?

Jones - < 1
Orgeron - 2
Stoops - 2.5
Smart - 3
Saban - 6

If Bama and UF run away with their divisions, it will be open season on all of the SEC coaches.
Is that really even possible for Florida anymore though? The East may end up looking like the 2012 Coastal. I don't feel comfortable saying "except without the disqualifications" because the Gators seem to be putting in the work to play the part of Miami and there's always Georgia and Tennessee waiting to play North Carolina.

I can already see it. 12-0 Alabama rolls into Atlanta, unstoppable and merciless. On the other side, 6-6 Georgia stumbles into MBS dazed, confused. At the end of the first quarter, the score is 7-0, with the Tide having executed a 14 minute touchdown drive. Kirby Smart inexplicably begins running toward the locker room, apparently believing the half is over or possibly just trying to leave, but he's somewhat forcefully dragged back to the sideline by his assistants. After the game, eyewitnesses report that Bobby Petrino had been spotted climbing over the railing in a Georgia hat the moment Smart began running off.

It gets boring after that, Alabama wins 70-0, Kirby is fired the next day. He's allowed to coach the Independence Bowl due to a contract stipulation with the special needs work program he was hired through. Following the blowout bowl loss to North Carolina State, another press conference is called in Athens. Greg McGarity announces that Kirby Smart has been terminated again, "just to be safe."

A thousand year darkness falls over Clarke County. The rest of the world transforms into paradise overnight, war is abolished, death forgotten. No grown man ever barks again.

Well I don't profess to know what goes into those odds, but I would guess that it goes something like this:

How many more bad seasons until Coach X gets fired?

Jones - < 1
Orgeron - 2
Stoops - 2.5
Smart - 3
Saban - 6
Hmm... I'm not sure how they 'calculate' these odds (let's get real, it's an art not a science) but even if they do it like you're suggesting... I don't see how the methodology you suggest has anything to do with the distinction I thought you were drawing. Even if the question is "How many more bad seasons until the coach is fired?", that still seems the same as the two previous questions — I mean, the only way we have of 'figuring up an answer' to any of those three questions is the same.

Oh, well, carry on.

Back