Bottom Line, The Success Of This Season Will...

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
depend on our QB play. Look at our good teams recently, the early 90's we had Shawn Jones, then later we had Lil Joe and Godsey. I honestly think Reggie's progress his SOPH year might be a little better then Joe's because of all the playing time Reggie had last year. On the flip side, Reggie does not have FRIDGE tutoring him. Also, I'm not sure Reggie is as quick as Joe, notice I did not say as fast. Several times last year I saw Reggie tuck the ball to run and get yanked down when Joe would have been long gone. Maybe it wasn't speed as much as it was waiting to late to make the decision to go, I don't know but Joe looked quicker. Bottom line, if Reggie significantly improves and can stay away from performances like he had against CLEM, UVA and UGA last year, then I think we can have a 7, 8, or 9 win season. Think about it, our ground game could be awesome if opponents have to respect our passing game getting the ball down field and really stretching the "D".
South Georgia Jacket

Little Joe tended to scramble forward and get 8 quick yards. Reggie tends to scramble backward or to the side. Sometimes he busts out a big yardage play, and sometimes he gets yanked down quickly for a big loss. Teams that figured out to use the QB Contain defense by sweeping defenders in a pincer-like fashion around the ends tended to have better results containing Reggie.

Respectfully, I believe this is oversimplification

No disrespect intended but I just think that to say that success of our team is based on Reggie's success is somewhat oversimplified. Note that I'm agreeing with you that we do need Reggie to be successful in order for us to have any success as a team.

Like you said we don't have Ralph Friedgen tutoring our QBs anymore, but I'm not uncomfortable with the thought of Patrick Nix and Chan Gailey tutoring Reggie and company. Chan has proven time and time again that he can take a decent, or even not so decent, QB and make him excellent. He has shown this with guys like Jay Fiedler and Kordell Stewart. Jay Fiedler really started to learn how to play the QB position under Chan (and this was during a year in which his only receiver was a rookie). Kordell... well what can you say, here was a guy that Chan Gailey made into a household name as "Slash" and what has he done since Chan has left other than lose his job to Tommy Maddox (OK, unfair slam at Tommy, I just couldn't resist).

But one thing that Reggie has that none of those guys except Shawn really had was a strong, strong commitment to running the football. Even then William Bell didn't crack the 1000 yard mark for the season until the bowl game. So Reggie at least will not have to be the entire offense and we won't be a pass first/pass only team, so that takes some of the pressure off of Reggie.

I do agree that we need Reggie to improve significantly if we want to be better than mediocre, even with a strong running game and strong defense to back him up.

By the way, I meant \"QB\" wherever it says \"Reggie\"

I realized too late to edit that I had specified Reggie and you had simply mentioned our QB play.

Tech\'s success does depend on Reggie,

but Reggie's success depends upon the rebuilt OL. Without an adequate OL, Reggie has no time to pass and the running game gets consistently stuffed.

QB performance is certainly important to any team. However, the OL and also the FB position will have everything to do with making or breaking the 2004 Jackets.

I hope we can cut it with a young Center and new starters.

Back