2018 Offensive Unit Projections

He will definitely improve if we switch him back to AB, where he belongs.
This is not a easy offense to master for any QB in the first yr. Why do you think all the freshman coming in never play? Bash him all you want but he was not the problem last yr it was TR. We should have won 8 or 9 games last yr. TM did his part he wasn't playing DEF.

Thoughts:

The whole point of this offense is to suck people in tight and throw over the top. If they have to commit 11 to the run, then every pass is for a TD. It takes the Nebraska run offense, and dials it up a notch because it prevents people from playing us like they played Nebraska - a 5-3 with tight safeties.

That said, we have to be able to execute the pass over the top. If we can't execute the pass over the top, and all we're ever going to do is run the ball, then we'd technically be better off just lining up in the for-real-actual-wishbone.

When we can complete 50% of our passes, our passing efficiency is off the charts deadly disgusting mindblowing. This is a true thing, and you cannot argue that it's not true. And we have achieved those sorts of numbers in the past.

Reeling it all back in .... there is definitely a short passing element that I feel we don't use enough - the screen. Quick short passes for us are complete garbage because we're throwing right into the teeth of a stacked area - there's no room to do it. But when our opponents are flowing heavily towards the motion, which is quite often, back side screens are really nasty. They're not only effective in scoring, they're also deadly psychologically, because it makes the defense second guess their read keys. In my opinion, we should have two unique screen plays installed for every game plan.

If we were really good at executing the triple option towards the motion side of the field, and making our blocks, the only way to stop it is to flow to that motion with safety support. And if we can force our opponents to flow to motion with safety support regularly, on like two thirds or more of our plays, then the first screen we pop against that motion is going to go for 80 yards and a touchdown. We've seen this before. It works a lot. If I were King of GT Football, I would replace all those play calls where we run the counter off motion with a screen instead. The upside is just higher.
If we change that aspect of the offense, it will be something else entirely, and we might as well start from scratch. With CPJ's offense, "When we pass it, we mean it." The passing play is used to catch the defense cheating to stop the run and make them pay a big price for disrespecting that threat. Our QB only needs to complete about one third of the bombs, and be able to recognize and complete most of the passes in which an A or Bback sneaks out of the backfield without getting covered. If the QB isn't able to accomplish those two things, defenses will just aggressively attack our running game all day. Last season, defenses learned to focus on TM and dare him to pass and pitch effectively, and he struggled to make that adjustment. CPJ believes that TM is a hard worker and wants to get better, which together with his game experience, gives him a good chance of being a better starter than a younger guy.
You can throw the bomb but not every pass play. The percentage of this pass is low to Begin with. We have all these AB's on the field why not throw a 20 or 30 yard pass and let them break one. We did this against Tennessee and RJ broke it. We will not be as predicable and it will give the def something else to think about.

Thoughts:

The whole point of this offense is to suck people in tight and throw over the top. If they have to commit 11 to the run, then every pass is for a TD. It takes the Nebraska run offense, and dials it up a notch because it prevents people from playing us like they played Nebraska - a 5-3 with tight safeties.

That said, we have to be able to execute the pass over the top. If we can't execute the pass over the top, and all we're ever going to do is run the ball, then we'd technically be better off just lining up in the for-real-actual-wishbone.

When we can complete 50% of our passes, our passing efficiency is off the charts deadly disgusting mindblowing. This is a true thing, and you cannot argue that it's not true. And we have achieved those sorts of numbers in the past.

Reeling it all back in .... there is definitely a short passing element that I feel we don't use enough - the screen. Quick short passes for us are complete garbage because we're throwing right into the teeth of a stacked area - there's no room to do it. But when our opponents are flowing heavily towards the motion, which is quite often, back side screens are really nasty. They're not only effective in scoring, they're also deadly psychologically, because it makes the defense second guess their read keys. In my opinion, we should have two unique screen plays installed for every game plan.

If we were really good at executing the triple option towards the motion side of the field, and making our blocks, the only way to stop it is to flow to that motion with safety support. And if we can force our opponents to flow to motion with safety support regularly, on like two thirds or more of our plays, then the first screen we pop against that motion is going to go for 80 yards and a touchdown. We've seen this before. It works a lot. If I were King of GT Football, I would replace all those play calls where we run the counter off motion with a screen instead. The upside is just higher.
I don't care what kind of passing game he has, I think he is leaving a lot on the field when it comes to throwing the ball. The passing game is no different from the running game. You have to mix it up. What if we ran the same running play all the time would it work as well? Of course it wouldn't.

This is not a easy offense to master for any QB in the first yr. Why do you think all the freshman coming in never play? Bash him all you want but he was not the problem last yr it was TR. We should have won 8 or 9 games last yr. TM did his part he wasn't playing DEF.

Synjyn Days was one of my favorite Tech players but he sucked as a quarterback. Some people are not cut out to be an option quarterback. Taquan's athleticism doesn't worry me, it's his ability to read plays and make decisions. And I have seen plenty last year to question if he'll be any better in his last year of eligibility.

Synjyn Days was one of my favorite Tech players but he sucked as a quarterback. Some people are not cut out to be an option quarterback. Taquan's athleticism doesn't worry me, it's his ability to read plays and make decisions. And I have seen plenty last year to question if he'll be any better in his last year of eligibility.
A lot factors into reading play's. TQ has to have blocking and time to read them. I think that is why he ran the ball so much a lot of the plays broke down because of blocking. There was plenty of offense their to win 8 or 9 games last yr. Then we wouldn't even be talking about TQ .

You can throw the bomb but not every pass play. The percentage of this pass is low to Begin with. We have all these AB's on the field why not throw a 20 or 30 yard pass and let them break one. We did this against Tennessee and RJ broke it. We will not be as predicable and it will give the def something else to think about.

So, you're saying we do throw 20 or 30 yard passes, then?

Not exactly a ringing endorsement from Coach Johnson, that one would expect a Senior QB to get.

So are we still required to wear Russell through spring?

FGVEHRV.gif

Looks good; firmly set for 4-8

Thinking more like these projections:

347 yds per game on the ground - 3rd best in P5 + G5 (the 5s)

10/4 passing. Better than normal.

7-5 with Bowl game loss in Shreveport.

PJ lauded by Stan because of spirit crushing defeat of the mutts, get another offensive contract extension.

There is no joy in Stingtalk.

PJ lauded by Stan because of spirit crushing defeat of the mutts, get another offensive contract extension.

You think we're going 7-5 but beating uga? I'll take it.

Better than a Rowe Bowl with a loss to uga!

Back