2018 Offensive Unit Projections

Jerry the Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The potential Offensive depth chart for 2018 looks pretty good. I thought I would share my prospective on this to give us something to discuss during this slow period for GT football.

Of course the main position for any football team is the QB position. We have some experience there but we really need to develop some semblance of a passing game and refine our operation of the Paul Johnson offense. I think the writing is on the wall that CPJ is going to stay with T. Marshall and hope to develop some depth behind him.

Here is how I see the depth there:

1) T. Marshall
2) Lucas Johnson
3) Tobias Oliver

I really don’t see the freshman Graham playing unless he is Superman and we just don’t know it.

The next most important position is the B Back position. We have some talent there but again we need to really advance the performance there to develop a winning program. Here is how I see things shaking out there:

1) Benson
2) Howard
3) Jordan Mason

I hope Howard really comes on this year, we need him to so we can rotate the personnel more and keep the position fresh to close out games. I don’t see the freshman Malloy breaking into the rotation.

As usual we have a slew of A Backs. I really feel like this group underperformed in 2017 and I expect much improved performance in 2018. Here is how I see the depth:

1) Clinton Lynch
2) Qua Searcy
3) Cottrell
4) O. Jarrett
5) Dontae Smith
6) Xavier Gantt

At the center position, we are pretty set but again we need a higher level of performance in 2018. Hopefully, as with all of the line positions, another year of experience and growth will elevate that group to the status we had hoped for in 2017 but did not see materialize. Here is the depth I see at Center:

1) Cooper
2) Conner Hansen
3) Scott Morgan

The Guards were thought to be the strength of our offensive line last year but to me they also came up short of expectations. I think they have strong motivation to excel this coming season. Here is how I see the top 6 at that position:

1) Will Bryan
2) P. Braun
3) Minihan
4) Morgan
5) Tufele
6) Maye
7) Lagood

The tackle position was a train wreck last season. We have to make major improvement here in 2018 and hopefully we will. I am concerned that A. Marshall can hold up but hopeful that he will. I think he is key to getting things going in the right direction at this position.

1) A. Marshall
2) J. Lee
3) Stickler
4) Clark
5) Ivemeye
6) Quinney

Finally the receiver position is another place we need improved performance. This group has to step up in helping develop a more potent passing game and do a much better job of blocking the perimeter. Here is how I see the depth at the 2 receiver positions:

1) Brad Stewart
2) Jalen Camp
3) A. Sanders
4) Dolphus
5) Jair Anderson
6) Charlie Thomas

So in summary, we have a lot of potential for improvement on the offensive side of the ball. I think the real key is TaQuon Marshall. We will only go as far as he takes us. Hopefully his ability to read the option and throw the football will take a big leap and we will have the kind of football team we all want.

Go Jackets!

Last edited:
FGVEHRV.gif

Pretty good look. I feel like we're going to be fine at QB. Either Marshall improves or is replaced, but there is depth there. Graham had some sort of injury his senior year of HS so he is a prime candidate to redshirt. He could be a game changer when he's ready, so no reason to burn a year if he can't compete for the starting job. Feel great about the A-backs and B-backs. I never know what to expect from the OL.

Is Quiade still with the team? Gonna ride the bench the rest of the way?

Quaide is still there but has not been able to establish himself as a solid contributor. He has some real potential but to date has not realized it. This is his last round up so time to crap or get off the pot. I hope he has a big season. We need some return on our investment.

Go Jackets!

I left off Boe Tufele. He should be in the 3 deep at Guard, ahead of the true freshman Maye and the walk on Lagood. I also did not include the transfer from Ole Miss due to the uncertainty surrounding his eligibility to play in 2018. If he can play, he should be in the fight to play at least a a back up to one of the two tackles.

Go Jackets!

I left off Boe Tufele. He should be in the 3 deep at Guard, ahead of the true freshman Maye and the walk on Lagood. I also did not include the transfer from Ole Miss due to the uncertainty surrounding his eligibility to play in 2018. If he can play, he should be in the fight to play at least a a back up to one of the two tackles.

Go Jackets!
Looks good; firmly set for 4-8

I do believe that with now a decade of going against Coach Johnson's offense, that several ACC teams and UGA have become very adept at defending against it. I know the old adage of, "if you block and execute properly, no defense can stop any offense", but I think teams do glean knowledge over time in how to defend certain offenses. They take queues from formation, motion, personnel and anticipate what is coming. They become more adept at defending our blocking techniques. So I think it has become more difficult for our offense to be successful as a result of this factor. I would love to see us develop some change of pace or against our tendency plays and incorporate more of that sort of thing into our offense. It seems we run a very similar sort of play on first down 90 plus percent of the time. Here I think we should throw the ball more often with some sort of safe, short pass rather than throwing the long ball. I also would like for us to introduce some different formations with more frequency to confuse our opponents and force them to rethink their defensive strategy. I just think our offense has grown a bit stale and needs some infusion of something new.

Go Jackets!

I do believe that with now a decade of going against Coach Johnson's offense, that several ACC teams and UGA have become very adept at defending against it. I know the old adage of, "if you block and execute properly, no defense can stop any offense", but I think teams do glean knowledge over time in how to defend certain offenses. They take queues from formation, motion, personnel and anticipate what is coming. They become more adept at defending our blocking techniques. So I think it has become more difficult for our offense to be successful as a result of this factor. I would love to see us develop some change of pace or against our tendency plays and incorporate more of that sort of thing into our offense. It seems we run a very similar sort of play on first down 90 plus percent of the time. Here I think we should throw the ball more often with some sort of safe, short pass rather than throwing the long ball. I also would like for us to introduce some different formations with more frequency to confuse our opponents and force them to rethink their defensive strategy. I just think our offense has grown a bit stale and needs some infusion of something new.

Go Jackets!

They've become more adept at watching us fail to complete passes to wide open receivers, anyways. I wish we'd do that, then I think we'd all feel a different way.

I just don’t think we do what we want to do as well as we once did. The option is what makes this hard to defend. If the OL does not allow penetration into the QB’s path and he is adept at reading defenses and a good ball handler and runs the TO quickly - then watch out. It seems to me we have evolved into running the true triple option less and less. Nesbitt learned to run it really well. Vad could not run option well at all. Tevin was good at it, not great. Justin was a good runner, but not great at the pitch and we seemed to run the true TO less in his tenure. TaQuon is even more a QB who is a good runner but not good at all at running the TO. I think the OL has made progress. Get a great triple option QB under center and we will do well. It is when the defense is struggling to defend the option that the other stuff opens up - rocket toss, mid-line, counters, passes. But if those plays become your main calls, our formation and personnel will scare no one.

They've become more adept at watching us fail to complete passes to wide open receivers, anyways. I wish we'd do that, then I think we'd all feel a different way.
And, like a red hot batter in baseball, once teams figure out he can't hit a change up, other teams get the advantage. We were a team that couldn't hit a slider last season. The first crack was the failed 2 PT conversion against Tennessee. Taquan showed his tendency is to not trust the pitch. He reads and pitches the ball cleanly to the BBack, we win. By the Duke game, teams knew his tendencies and adjusted accordingly (he can hit a fastball, throw a slider low and outside). UGAg knew he wasn't a passing threat or much of a pitch threat and shut us down. The plays were there. Jeune would have had an easy, uncovered TD, on one play that we threw into coverage on the sideline. I almost wonder, and I'm foggy on it now thankfully, if the easy UGAg pick later wasn't that both GT and UGAg realized that play was open. We threw it like we were going to have a wide open WR, but UGAg had adjusted to make sure coverage was there - easy pick right in the numbers.

And, like a red hot batter in baseball, once teams figure out he can't hit a change up, other teams get the advantage. We were a team that couldn't hit a slider last season. The first crack was the failed 2 PT conversion against Tennessee. Taquan showed his tendency is to not trust the pitch. He reads and pitches the ball cleanly to the BBack, we win. By the Duke game, teams knew his tendencies and adjusted accordingly (he can hit a fastball, throw a slider low and outside). UGAg knew he wasn't a passing threat or much of a pitch threat and shut us down. The plays were there. Jeune would have had an easy, uncovered TD, on one play that we threw into coverage on the sideline. I almost wonder, and I'm foggy on it now thankfully, if the easy UGAg pick later wasn't that both GT and UGAg realized that play was open. We threw it like we were going to have a wide open WR, but UGAg had adjusted to make sure coverage was there - easy pick right in the numbers.

That the receivers are open is the one thing that keeps me coming back, TBH. If we hit 50% of our passes, we'll have another 2014 under TM. If we hit 60% under anybody at all...

m2Z8mf1.gif

That the receivers are open is the one thing that keeps me coming back, TBH. If we hit 50% of our passes, we'll have another 2014 under TM. If we hit 60% under anybody at all...

m2Z8mf1.gif

I agree. We've all seen players that suddenly 'get it' like Godsey in '00, or the ones that come in and cause everything to come together like Jones in '89. I would like to think we are due that to happen at QB again. When it does happen, this is the offense for us to grab lightning in a bottle and get that fifth one.

I agree. We've all seen players that suddenly 'get it' like Godsey in '00, or the ones that come in and cause everything to come together like Jones in '89. I would like to think we are due that to happen at QB again. When it does happen, this is the offense for us to grab lightning in a bottle and get that fifth one.
I suppose, for some players, the game just slows down for them. They recognize things a bit better. We obviously need a more consistent passing game. We had erratic passes and compounded that with drops. If Stewart makes a catch against Miami, we win, and they'll be no 4th down miracle play for Miami anyway. It was a decent defensive play, but Stewart is a big receiver and needs to make those catches

I just don’t think we do what we want to do as well as we once did. The option is what makes this hard to defend. If the OL does not allow penetration into the QB’s path and he is adept at reading defenses and a good ball handler and runs the TO quickly - then watch out. It seems to me we have evolved into running the true triple option less and less. Nesbitt learned to run it really well. Vad could not run option well at all. Tevin was good at it, not great. Justin was a good runner, but not great at the pitch and we seemed to run the true TO less in his tenure. TaQuon is even more a QB who is a good runner but not good at all at running the TO. I think the OL has made progress. Get a great triple option QB under center and we will do well. It is when the defense is struggling to defend the option that the other stuff opens up - rocket toss, mid-line, counters, passes. But if those plays become your main calls, our formation and personnel will scare no one.
Mostly agree, though I think Tevin was pretty good at the option, as I recall -- passing, not so much.

Tevin had decent touch was was fairly accurate. Didn’t have a good deep ball (if I remember correctly).

Back