Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  
Old 11-28-2002, 12:33 AM   #1
Ciret
Damn Good Rat

Default Very Impressive Win

For all the folks that didn't see the game, it was a very impressive display by the "team." These guys are going to be very good by the time January comes around. The guy that impressed me the most was Jarret Jack. He ran the team like someone that had been around for 2 years as opposed to only 1 game. This will be the most important guy to the team this year.

Bosh is the real thing....very smooth and never rushed anything. He lets the game come to him. BJ Elder looked good as well as Marvin Lewis.

The D turned the game around. They had some lapses regarding placement on the floor but I attribute that to being only 2nd game of year. That will be worked out.

The one thing I'd like to see more of is getting the ball inside. We had a decided height advantage and I thought should have tried to pound the ball inside a little more. But what do i know...the guys won a hard fought game against a pretty darn good team.

It's good to have that warm and fuzzy feeling after a great win and Happy Turkey Day to all!

Go Jackets!
Ciret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 12:53 AM   #2
ahsoisee
Dodd-like

Default Re: Very Impressive Win

Yes, it was a very good win. That kind of win is a real character builder. They never quit, and that builds champions.

There appears to be the right mix of players on this team as far as attitude goes. All of the players seem to be in sync with their emotions and want each other to do well.

All of the players did well. Jack and Bosh did not look like your typical freshmen. Can I reiterate that Braine has done an excellent job in hiring our basketball coach?

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
ahsoisee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 01:30 AM   #3
pjjacket
Jolly Good Fellow

This is the start of something great. Coaches,Players, Bench and Fans were great in their support of GT. It was so sweet because it was "Dem Mutts".

THWG. One down one to go. [img]graemlins/drinking.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drinking.gif[/img] [img]bigthumbup.gif[/img]
pjjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 02:17 AM   #4
gnats67
Dodd-like

Good job, Jackets! Great win!
gnats67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 02:51 AM   #5
busybee
Varsity Lurker

Outstanding game to be at tonight! Sitting with UGA fans in front and behind me, I had to listen to their obnoxious yelling, barking, and comments until the last 5 minutes of the game. Then down the stretch when the outcome became apparent it was so nice to just watch them sit there in silence and take it. I give them credit though - UGA fans attending a Tech basketball game are a different breed of bulldog than the football fans.

I was disappointed that even during the final few minutes of the game most of the crowd remained seated. With 28 sec left 3/4 of the folks at Alexander were still sitting and not making near as much of a home court impact as we could have.

Did anyone notice that during a critical possession for us with a couple minutes left, after UGA had knocked the ball out of bounds while we were trying to bring it up past mid-court, we exceeded the 10 sec count and then got a very kind foul call that put (I think it was) Jarrett Jack on the line? Would have been interesting to know the outcome of the game if the ref had noticed the 35 sec clock down to 24.

One concern I have is that like last year Marvin Lewis still seems to disappear at times in these type of big games. Shooting 2-8 on field goals and he had those 2 shots early in the 1st half. The foul shots down the stretch were clutch, but I think he is the key guy who has to have dependable outside shooting for the team to go far against the top teams and NCAA tournament - he is the starting 2Guard. The main person he covered, also #24, Hayes, had the most points for UGA (about 20). I know this sounds critical, but I think the kid has tons of potential and just needs to not be afraid to step up. Same thing with McHenry as far as his potential.
busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 03:44 AM   #6
GT98
Helluva Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by busybee:

One concern I have is that like last year Marvin Lewis still seems to disappear at times in these type of big games. Shooting 2-8 on field goals and he had those 2 shots early in the 1st half. The foul shots down the stretch were clutch, but I think he is the key guy who has to have dependable outside shooting for the team to go far against the top teams and NCAA tournament - he is the starting 2Guard. The main person he covered, also #24, Hayes, had the most points for UGA (about 20). I know this sounds critical, but I think the kid has tons of potential and just needs to not be afraid to step up. Same thing with McHenry as far as his potential.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Marvin Lewis is absolute $$$ from the free throw line--big, big free throws down the stretch. Keep in mind that in guarding #24, Hayes, he was guarding one of the best players in college bball this year--he will be a 1st team all-sec this year, barring injury. Marvin will step up this year and help this team in conference play as we jockey for position heading into the NCAA tourney in March. [img]bigthumbup.gif[/img]
GT98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 11:58 AM   #7
ConyersJacket
Damn Good Rat

The great thing is we beat a veteran, experienced UGA team with players who either have 1 or 0 years of experience. Except for Lewis and Brooks, all of our players have a full 3 years in front of them, and they are going to get much, much better. If players stay, there is no question that GT is going to become a national championship contender. The only question is which year?

(Side note, UGA fans truly are a bunch of no-class dumbasses. The girl next to me laughed when Elder went down. 2 minutes later she was sitting on the steps where the territory was not so hostile. Most were being obnoxious as hell the whole game. These people act as if they were raised by wolves. All left before the final buzzer. UGA sterotypes are all very, very true. Hell, they don't do them justice)
ConyersJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 12:24 PM   #8
bobby dodds ghost
Helluva Engineer

Way too many Ga. fans at the game. Unused tickets were resold to the avid dog fans while Tech folks yawned at home.
BOO
bobby dodds ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 03:38 AM   #9
Beezoner
Damn Good Rat

I don't know, you've gotta expect a bunch of Dawg fans because they're so many of them in the ATL. But I thought Tech fans came out and made a difference in the game - one of the loudest crowds in the last 2 years. Plus, here it is the first day of Thanksgiving break, and students were standing in the aisles 'cause all the seats were full. Props to the students for coming out and supporting the team! Lets hope we get a decent turnout for Sunday's less than stellar opponent, Gardner-Webb. Also a lot of GT footballers at the game, plus the hottie volleyballers and others. Saw Eric Patterson with a fine-looking date as well. The football players were PUMPED and shouting "To hell with Georgia" amid high-fiving fans. Let's hope they carry this emotion over for Saturday.

The hoops team really stuck to it last night, even when it looked like the Gags were making a run. I also comment Hewitt for pulling off the full press a little when it was leading to so many easy jumpers. It takes a great coach to adjust to the flow of the game and put aside his style of play when necessary.

SO GLAD that B.J.'s injuries were just leg cramps. When I saw him hobbling off the second time I was sure it was his broken foot again.

This season's gonna rock!
Beezoner is offline   Reply With Quote