Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Nawaab
Helluva Engineer

Default Re: CPJ Going on ESPN CFB Programs Tomorrow

About as informative as expected. Police Academy 7 was less inane than this.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
BlackJacket
Dodd-like

Here's the chat: (TL;DR Nothing shocking)

Jason (NC)
there are a lot of new faces in the league this year how do you think it will impact the league?

Paul Johnson (12:55 PM)
I think it's an exciting time for the league. We're bringing a lot of schools with tradition and history. We're bringing in a footprint with a lot of fans and TVs. If you're not growing, you'll probably die. It's exciting.

Jon (Atl /GA)
Coach Johnson.... Last year the defense had it's issues. With Ted Roof now in charge. How confident are you that the defense will improve?

Paul Johnson (12:56 PM)
We're excited to have Ted back. I think the brings a lot of energy and enthusiasm. Hopefully he can lead our defense to play to the level we expect. We're excited to have him back.

Erin (Dallas)
What's the excitement level like around the team, with this new ACC alignment?

Paul Johnson (12:57 PM)
Our team is excited to play. We have a good senior class for the first time in a few years, a big class. We're excited to get this year underway.

Phillip (A stadium near you)
Coach Johnson, what is your feeling about having an open date so early in the season?

Paul Johnson (12:57 PM)
It's less than ideal to have an open date the second week of the season, but that's the way the schedule unfolded. We'll probably take some time to recruit a bit and then take extra time to prepare for Purdue.

Coach Johnson, what is the one thing that you learned coaching at Navy that has made you a better coach at GT?

Paul Johnson (12:58 PM)
I think that it's important to try and ask the players to do what they can do. Sometimes schemes can be great, but if you can't execute the schemes, you have to remember that it's your job as coach to do what the players do best.

Rals75 (Chesapeake)
What are your thoughts on the new rule for helmet to helmet hits?

Paul Johnson (12:59 PM)
I think safety has to be paramount to players, but there is also a concern for ejections. There can be penalties without ejections. It will be interesting to see how they call with the new rules. It could change the game.

Coach Johnson, how difficult is it to separate our personal life from your professional life? How do you balance the two?

Paul Johnson (1:00 PM)
At times it can be really difficult. It can be harder on you at times. You need to have a healthy balance. Family can be really important to me and you try to find a happy medium. Sometimes it can be difficult.

Brandon (Indiana)
How are you going to improve the team after almost winning the ACC Championship Game?

Paul Johnson (1:00 PM)
Certainly we need to get off to a much better start. We need to be more consistent on offense. Defensively we just need to get better. Adding a new kicker on special teams will help us. Playing with more consistency than a year ago.

Rob (Memphis, TN)
Coach Johnson, how do you feel about the two Thursday night games this season?

Paul Johnson (1:01 PM)
Thursday night games gives you great exposure, national exposure. GT has played a midweek game or Thursday night game every year for nearly 20 years. It can help your program if you play well.

Tonia (Atlanta)
How are the quarterbacks looking so far through spring? Do you expect Lee to be the stand out starting QB?

Paul Johnson (1:02 PM)
I thought both QBs, and Tim, had good springs. We're excited about all three of the guys.

Jacob (Jlv) (Atlanta)
Coach, You guys used the pistol a little and it worked very well in the bowl game against USC and became pretty popular in the NFL with Washington and San Fransisco. Any chance we see more pistol this year?

Paul Johnson (1:02 PM)
We're always looking to tweak what we do and expand what we have as a system. We'll see as the season unfolds as to what it holds. There is a chance that we could do some different things out of the shotgun.

James (ATL)
Really enjoy following you on Twitter (esp your response to Will Jackson), most entertaining coach in college football. Are you having fun with it?

Paul Johnson (1:03 PM)
Yeah it's been interesting. It's a chance to help define yourself. It gives you a chance to express some of your ideas on certain things. It's been fun.

Hank (Kingsley)
Also, how do you think the GA State and GA Southern moves will effect Tech's in-state recruiting?

Paul Johnson (1:04 PM)
Right now, I don't think it will have a great deal of impact. I haven't seen our recruiting change with those moves by those two teams.

John Swarm (Charlotte, NC)
Coach Johnson, if you could pick one, what is the most important lesson learned from last season that you think will be pivotal in 2013?

Paul Johnson (1:04 PM)
I don't know if there was one thing that stands out. We're constantly learning new things every year. I couldn't pin point just one thing.

Mitch (Georgia)
What is the mindset if your team going into 3 tough division games after a bye week?

Paul Johnson (1:05 PM)
I think our team understands getting off to a great start, especially after a year ago when we didn't. The motivation part of it won't be a big factor. We'll be ready to play.

Sebastian (Baltimore)
How confident are you going into the season?

Paul Johnson (1:06 PM)
I really like our football team. I think they displayed a great work ethic. I'm excited about this year. It could be great for Tech football.

Andrew (Atl)
Knowing that you've yet to get them for a practice, which freshman has impressed you the most?

Paul Johnson (1:07 PM)
We really haven't had a chance to see the freshmen yet. We'll open on Thursday. It will be hard to single anyone out until we see them in practice.

John (Atlanta)
Do you have any specific goals for the season?

Paul Johnson (1:08 PM)
The goal setting, I let each team set them, with a little bit of guidance. There usually isn't a lot of difference from one year to the next. We'll try to emphasize one aspect or another, but I think it's important for the team to set their own goals.

We open camp on Thursday. We're extremely excited about this season. Can't wait to kick it off!

We have Fan Day on Aug. 3!
BlackJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
swampsting
Dodd-like

Sounds like Paul's excited.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
JacketFan77
Dodd-like

Thank you, Blackjacket. He's always been one to hold his cards close. It does sound like he's enjoying this team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffortWarrior79 View Post
Coach Johnson does indeed drink Cosmopolitans...if by Cosmopolitans, you mean jet fuel and nitroglycerin cocktails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by refrigeratormover View Post
Hey Jeff Schultz, My name is John Davis "go F*ck yourself"
JacketFan77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
TheTaxJacket
Dodd-like

Nothing compelling there.

That's not always a bad thing. Can you imagine the questions Kevin Sumerlin at Texas A&M would get and he would have to answer on one of these things.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
ThisIsAtlanta
Dodd-like

Purdue, eh? And a shoutout for Tim Byerly and our new kicker. Alright everybody, readbetweenthelines GO!

Purdue -> GT to the B1G still happening in secret.
Byerly/Kicker -> New badass trick plays.
StinGTalk --a board divided. "BigCry and ButtHurt" --an ESPN Outside The Lines special ...3:00PM Saturday, only on ESPN 8 ...The Ocho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Koholic View Post
There's two types of post on Stingtalk. Those that deserve a big cry. And big cries.
ThisIsAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
swampsting
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketFan77 View Post
Thank you, Blackjacket. He's always been one to hold his cards close.
Paul sounds so excited the dealer must have a 6 showing.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
gtleviathan
Jolly Good Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJacket View Post
Here's CPJ's schedule for tomorrow:

10:00 a.m. -- In The Know (ITK)/Front Row
10:20 a.m. -- College Football Insider Travis Haney
11:00 a.m. -- College Football Insider Brett McMurphy
12:10 p.m. -- Digital Media
1:00 p.m. -- ESPN.com Chat
2:20 p.m. -- College Football Live
2:30 p.m. -- SportsCenter (tape)
3:00 p.m. -- CSI Miami, oddly enough

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m...072813aaa.html
Last minute update added above.
gtleviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
BlackJacket
Dodd-like

Should be on CFB Live on ESPN soon...
BlackJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
brian22
Damn Good Rat

That was it? Man, I'm beginning to REALLY hate ESPN.
brian22 is offline   Reply With Quote