Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
wesleyd21
Dodd-like

Default Ken Suigera: TW not a difference-making type of quarterback"

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/ask-...r-georgia-tech

AB: Quarterback Tevin Washington handled Paul Johnson’s spread option offense well in his first year as a starter. How do you think he’ll fare in Year 2, especially now that top receiving targets Stephen Hill and Tyler Melton are gone?

KS:

"I think he’ll be better, but losing a playmaker like Hill and a hustler like Melton are notable losses, particularly in light of the fact that no receiver on the roster has a single catch. Washington may be the hardest worker on the team and is an unquestioned leader. However, the big question is, as noted by his performance last year, how he can do against tougher competition.

"Washington started out last season hot, throwing 10 touchdowns against one interception in his first five games, part of Georgia Tech’s 6-0 start against the likes of Western Carolina, Kansas and Middle Tennessee State. However, he didn’t throw a single touchdown pass in the Yellow Jackets’ last seven regular-season games. Not surprisingly, they followed up the 6-0 start with a 2-5 finish, including defeats to Virginia Tech, Virginia, Georgia and the Sun Bowl loss to Utah.

"Washington has shown he’s capable, having led key drives and knocking off then-undefeated Clemson. He’ll be better, but I’m not convinced he’s a difference-making type of quarterback."

Can't say I disagree!

Just wait until after we don't win good enough.
wesleyd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
andrew
Dodd-like

Default Re: Ken Suigera: TW not a difference-making type of quarterback"

That is exactly how I describe him, and how I have seen many others describe him. He can play well, gain a lot of yardage when the option is working, and he won't lose any games for us, but he's also not going to singlehandedly win a game us. He's not stealing back any fumbles.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Nashville Jacket
Dodd-like

Can't say I haven't heard that a million times already in this forum alone. Nothing new.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
ThisIsAtlanta
Dodd-like

That was a pretty good read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajacket View Post
I think GT is no longer a football team and is now surrealist performance art.
ThisIsAtlanta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
etc79
Dodd-like

Say it ain't so!!

(Its Kramer Gif day)
etc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
hiveredtech
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyd21 View Post
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/ask-...r-georgia-tech

AB: Quarterback Tevin Washington handled Paul Johnson’s spread option offense well in his first year as a starter. How do you think he’ll fare in Year 2, especially now that top receiving targets Stephen Hill and Tyler Melton are gone?

KS:

"I think he’ll be better, but losing a playmaker like Hill and a hustler like Melton are notable losses, particularly in light of the fact that no receiver on the roster has a single catch. Washington may be the hardest worker on the team and is an unquestioned leader. However, the big question is, as noted by his performance last year, how he can do against tougher competition.

"Washington started out last season hot, throwing 10 touchdowns against one interception in his first five games, part of Georgia Tech’s 6-0 start against the likes of Western Carolina, Kansas and Middle Tennessee State. However, he didn’t throw a single touchdown pass in the Yellow Jackets’ last seven regular-season games. Not surprisingly, they followed up the 6-0 start with a 2-5 finish, including defeats to Virginia Tech, Virginia, Georgia and the Sun Bowl loss to Utah.

"Washington has shown he’s capable, having led key drives and knocking off then-undefeated Clemson. He’ll be better, but I’m not convinced he’s a difference-making type of quarterback."

Can't say I disagree!
As much as I hate to admit it, that is a dead-on analysis. Tevin has been excellent at managing games that are in control early or where we have an athletic advantage. He struggles in the tighter contests. Finishing 2-5 in last 7 games without a single TD pass is quite telling actually. He still has things he needs to do better. I guess that is why they get 5 years to play 4 huh.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
ibeeballin
Dodd-like

He is what he is
ibeeballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
TechRush
Helluva Engineer

Is this a shock? This is common knowledge.

Every D1 QB should throw 10 touchdowns on the likes of Mid Tenn St, Western Carolina, and Kansas.

It is what you do against VA Tech, Clemson, UGA that define you as a playmaker. Tech beat Clemson, but it wasn't solely due to TW. He played a good game and had some runs, but if you remember the first two possessions were awful and Tech finally caught a break when Clemson fumbled the ball on their own side of the field.

TW is a decent QB, but seems to wilt (especially passing the ball) against strong competition. Tech hasn't had a very good QB since Goose. Nesbitt was a warrior, and could make a play, but overall I wouldn't even call him a very good QB and I loved Nesbitt.
TechRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
rduck
Helluva Engineer

He's never as good or as bad as he seems...
rduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
05GTCorndog
Dodd-like

Punch em in the mouth.

Wait... maybe this one doesn't fit the situation.
05GTCorndog is online now   Reply With Quote