Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #21
BarrelORum
Dodd-like

Default Re: Specialty Coaching We Seem to be weak at WR QB Coaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaTech63 View Post

I thought this would make a decent discussion topic during this "dead" time. I don't recall this being discussed. What say you?
It would be a decent discussion if you weren't such a ----ing idiot.
BarrelORum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
bonham
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiveredtech View Post
People have been complaining about DL recruitment at GT as long as I can remember...and I have followed recruiting closely for 30 years.

I am not sure who these huge busts you speak of are though.

Year 1- We were the only ones to give TJ Barnes a shot at the DL as others wanted him as an OL. He would not be considered a "HUGE BUST". Antonio Wilson had a career ending neck injury early on.

Year 2- This group started to show last year and will have 2 starters this year. Izaan Cross, Euclid Cummings, Emmanuel Dieker, and Chris Crenshaw. So far, Crenshaw has just been stuck in the change to a 3-3 as he was recruited as a 4-3 DE. JC Lanier is the first legit bust...but we were also the only ones to take him as a DL as most wanted him as an OL.

Year 3- Denzel McCoy picked GT over 30+ offers but then it was discovered he has a medical condition. Anthony Williams picked us over just about every SEC and ACC school...and has really started to come on and has finally put on some weight. He is #2 on the depth chart and will be on the field on every passing down this year. Shawn Green chose GT over Auburn and other big schools...had two unrelated freak injuries his first two season which kept him from conditioning....but has 3 years left, had a great spring, and will see 20+ snaps per game this year behind Barnes.

Anyone from years 4 and 5 are far too young to even look at right now. They are Jimmie Kitchen (chose GT over Ole Miss), Pat Gamble (chose GT over UGA), Francis Kallon (chose GT over everyone), Rod Chungong (chose GT over Stanford, Mich. St., UVA, NCState, etc.), and Ryan Gotsis (NT or OT...probably an OT long term).

Sorry but not buying it. Our DL play has been atrocious in recent years. No excuses. The group did NOT start to show last year. They were blown off the line consistently by a decent OL and were the weak spot in the defense.
bonham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #23
GTLiebs
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonham View Post
Sorry but not buying it. Our DL play has been atrocious in recent years. No excuses. The group did NOT start to show last year. They were blown off the line consistently by a decent OL and were the weak spot in the defense.
Yes, because everyone on that list has shown us what they can do and its certainly not true that all but two of the players have two years or more left of playing here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Thou shalt runneth the rocket toss.
GTLiebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #24
hiveredtech
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonham View Post
I was not responding to how the DL played last year. I was responding to the comment that CPJ's DL recruits were huge busts. Last years DL was still predominantly recruits prior to CPJ's arrival.

The vast majority have 2-4 years left in the program...and a couple of those started taking serious PT from 4-5 year players the second half of last year.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #25
olgoldandwhite
Helluva Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaTech63 View Post
CPJ
What say you?
It ain't the X's and O's, but the Jacks and the Joes.
olgoldandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #26
MEwreck02
Dodd-like

MEwreck02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #27
wesleyd21
Dodd-like

Quote:
I was not responding to how the DL played last year. I was responding to the comment that CPJ's DL recruits were huge busts. Last years DL was still predominantly recruits prior to CPJ's arrival.

The vast majority have 2-4 years left in the program...and a couple of those started taking serious PT from 4-5 year players the second half of last year.
They still are huge busts, imo. But mostly because of crap luck (Shawn Green + Denzel McCoy).

I think TJ Barnes and JC Lanier would be considered huge busts. TJ Barnes weighs 340+ and still couldn't beat out Logan Freaking Walls...and JC Lanier is a complete non-factor.

Just wait until after we don't win good enough.
wesleyd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #28
gt2690b
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyd21 View Post
They still are huge busts, imo. But mostly because of crap luck (Shawn Green + Denzel McCoy).

I think TJ Barnes and JC Lanier would be considered huge busts. TJ Barnes weighs 340+ and still couldn't beat out Logan Freaking Walls...and JC Lanier is a complete non-factor.
that is two huge busts.. plus the two late de-commits we had would add to 4 huge busts.. thats alot of D-line not working out when it could have
gt2690b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #29
GTLiebs
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt2690b View Post
that is two huge busts.. plus the two late de-commits we had would add to 4 huge busts.. thats alot of D-line not working out when it could have
What decommits on the d line? There was Junior from last year but that wasn't a decommit.

Also, I think we may be using "Bust" for things beyond what it means. Like Lanier and probably Barnes would be "busts", they played and didn't do well. Not sure if we can call Greene a bust despite the injuries when he has 3 years left. I'm not even sure if bust is the right word for people who never played because of a health condition.

I feel like Bust implies the staff thought someone would be good and they weren't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Thou shalt runneth the rocket toss.
GTLiebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #30
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:

This has always bugged me. The heart of the team should be people who have been with the program 3-5 years. In other words, there is a 3-5 year lead time from when you first get players to come to the school, not to mention the lead time to transition from having fully built recruiting relationships at Navy versus having the same at GT.

It is only now that the recruits that CPJ signed are going to be playing across the board. Not to mention that they are still really Gailey recruits or last minute CPJ recruits. It's hard enough recruiting at GT, imagine giving someone else a two year head start. That's what CPJ was doing his first couple recruiting years.

A lot of people look at this the right way, but there are a lot of people who expect video game like results - that CPJ should be bringing in all 5-star players who will start as true Freshmen, or that he will magically convert a horde of 3-star guys into All Americans in 18 months.

This is a 15 year process gentlemen. We got a good coach, but Rome wasn't built in a day. We need patience.
Legal Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote