Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  
Old 04-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
muscleman2470
Jolly Good Fellow

Default Re: New Falcons stadium

+1 to all of the comments above. The Dome has served as an excellent venue for many years for other non-NFL events (Final Four (2-3 times), SEC football & basketball championships, etc). It's not as nice as other venues, but it serves a greater multifunctional purpose that has made it a valuable destination for all of the events listed above. If Blank & the Falcons want a new (outdoor) stadium within the next 10 years, they can pay for it themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej67 View Post
STINGTALK NEEDS THAT ARMORED SCOUT CAR. Someone buy it for us. I will help maintain it, and will cook the burgers for the Stingtalk Tailgate. We can fly the Gadsden Flag and shoot paintball guns at the Hivers across the parking lot.
muscleman2470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
ContactBuzz
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbuzz2011 View Post
The locale of all the major stadiums in Atlanta are pretty terrible, IMO. I'll let Philips slide since it's near Centennial Olympic Park/World of Coke/Aquarium. Otherwise, Turner Field is in a dumpy area and so is the Dome.

With that said, there's no need for any public funding of any sort to build a new stadium.
I guess you're right if you ignore the economic benefits that having a pro sports team (NFL especially) can have for the city/area.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
coit
Dodd-like

Here's what you get with your new billion-dollar stadium.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNUA1O403R.DTL

PSLs and expensive tickets. Of course this is for a team that sells out its stadium. The fact of the matter is that there is no way a team can justify the expense of such a stadium. And not even a city if it is an outdoor stadium with real grass and all of that.

One of the strengths of the Dome is that it is a multi-purpose facility. Only downside is that you can't see the sun when you watch a game.
coit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
gtfan088
Dodd-like

The retractable roof seems to be the new trend, and I kinda like it. I don't particularly care for the Georgia Dome, and I think a nice stadium with a retractable roof will still be a draw for the SECCG, Chicken Bowl, etc.
gtfan088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
ContactBuzz
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by coit View Post
Here's what you get with your new billion-dollar stadium.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNUA1O403R.DTL

PSLs and expensive tickets. Of course this is for a team that sells out its stadium. The fact of the matter is that there is no way a team can justify the expense of such a stadium. And not even a city if it is an outdoor stadium with real grass and all of that.

One of the strengths of the Dome is that it is a multi-purpose facility. Only downside is that you can't see the sun when you watch a game.
I agree about the PSL thing - that's concerning.

The NFL has already removed the Dome from future SB considerations and you'd have to think that these other "multi-purpose" events will start going away as well when competing with other state-of-the-art facilities that are in existence (like Dallas) or planned.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
andrew
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContactBuzz View Post
I agree about the PSL thing - that's concerning.

The NFL has already removed the Dome from future SB considerations and you'd have to think that these other "multi-purpose" events will start going away as well when competing with other state-of-the-art facilities that are in existence (like Dallas) or planned.
Was Atlanta removed because of the Dome or because of the weather?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
etc79
Dodd-like

I want them to get a new stadium...that is all
etc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
ContactBuzz
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
Was Atlanta removed because of the Dome or because of the weather?
Stadium - weather thing certainly didn't help but I think it's a bit of a myth as to why the NFL won't bring the SB back. It's reported that the NFL will be putting up $$$ (upwards of $200M) to help with the financing of the new stadium.

As a matter of fact, I think the last 3 SBs I recall being at a party hanging out mostly outside because the weather has been terrific. I'm too old to remember much past 3 years ago.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #19
etc79
Dodd-like

Quote:
Stadium - weather thing certainly didn't help but I think it's a bit of a myth as to why the NFL won't bring the SB back. It's reported that the NFL will be putting up $$$ (upwards of $200M) to help with the financing of the new stadium.
$300M in hotel taxes, $200M from the NFL, the rest from Money Bags Blank
etc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
coit
Dodd-like

Quote:

Why would they rule us out for a SB because of the stadium? How is our stadium different than other domed stadiums that have hosted SBs since we last did?
coit is offline   Reply With Quote