Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Basketball

Old 04-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
Hobojacket
Helluva Engineer

Default Re: Report: Seth Greenberg out at Virginia Tech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG01 View Post
FTFY.

He's in the Mark Fox hall of fame to me. Decent coaches that GT fans overrate because they beat us under you know who.
this. Whats wrong with trying to get better? Is being mediocre really any better than being horrible? If Coach A has you stuck on the border of the NCAA then why not gamble on coach B. If he is worse you fire him in 3 and try again.

Second...what is preventing them from being good? They have ok fan support. There is plenty of talent (feeding good VCU, ODU, JMU, GWU, GU, UVA programs)....
Hobojacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
05GTCorndog
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobojacket View Post
this. Whats wrong with trying to get better? Is being mediocre really any better than being horrible? If Coach A has you stuck on the border of the NCAA then why not gamble on coach B. If he is worse you fire him in 3 and try again.

Second...what is preventing them from being good? They have ok fan support. There is plenty of talent (feeding good VCU, ODU, JMU, GWU, GU, UVA programs)....
Do you really think they'll do better the next 5-7 years?

This move makes no sense.
well i did some digging around and according to investopedia butthurt spot price drives the futures price. And butthurt futures are used to hedge against butthurt not expectations like i previously said. But it is done by shorting the futures if you're long in the butthurt index. Which skyrockets the day the kid chooses to go somewhere else.
05GTCorndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
gtfan088
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTCorndog View Post
Do you really think they'll do better the next 5-7 years?

This move makes no sense.
Maybe they feel like they've peaked under Greenberg and want to see if someone else can take them further. My guess is it won't work out well, but I can't blame them for trying...other than the timing of it, which doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Greenberg is a solid coach, but his biggest claim to fame was having his team play one of the absolute worst non-conference schedules in the NCAA 2-3 times during his tenure, go slightly better than .500 in the ACC, then mercilessly ridicule the selection process when his team doesn't get in.
gtfan088 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
05GTCorndog
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfan088 View Post
Maybe they feel like they've peaked under Greenberg and want to see if someone else can take them further. My guess is it won't work out well, but I can't blame them for trying...other than the timing of it, which doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Greenberg is a solid coach, but his biggest claim to fame was having his team play one of the absolute worst non-conference schedules in the NCAA 2-3 times during his tenure, go slightly better than .500 in the ACC, then mercilessly ridicule the selection process when his team doesn't get in.
You are talking about a team that has been to 8 NCAA tournaments and just one in the 17 years before Greenberg. Greenberg elevated VPISU basketball to levels that they had not previously seen. He took them to postseason tournaments in 6 of his 9 years. Nothing had come close to that before. Sometimes a school like this should just be happy with their current level because it isn't going to get any better and it could easily go much worse. Call it accepting mediocrity, but in certain places, mediocrity is good.
well i did some digging around and according to investopedia butthurt spot price drives the futures price. And butthurt futures are used to hedge against butthurt not expectations like i previously said. But it is done by shorting the futures if you're long in the butthurt index. Which skyrockets the day the kid chooses to go somewhere else.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
gtfan088
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTCorndog View Post
You are talking about a team that has been to 8 NCAA tournaments and just one in the 17 years before Greenberg. Greenberg elevated VPISU basketball to levels that they had not previously seen. He took them to postseason tournaments in 6 of his 9 years. Nothing had come close to that before. Sometimes a school like this should just be happy with their current level because it isn't going to get any better and it could easily go much worse. Call it accepting mediocrity, but in certain places, mediocrity is good.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it's much easier to take that position from the outside. The fans probably expected more by this point, given he made the NCAA tournament in year 3 then failed to make it for his last five years.
gtfan088 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
05GTCorndog
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfan088 View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it's much easier to take that position from the outside. The fans probably expected more by this point, given he made the NCAA tournament in year 3 then failed to make it for his last five years.
I agree it is hard to be rational about your own team. With that said, I am glad that he is gone and I doubt they do better.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
jts1207
Dodd-like

Dont see them ever beating Puke or UNC again.....
Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
cantSpellConvictWithoutVT
Dodd-like

Wow... what a preposterously idiotic move. They don't possibly think they'll get someone to move to the sticks this late and be better, do they? They have a very, very talented team returning. There has to be something shady behind the scenes.

Oh well, it will be that much easier for CBG. & Co. to pass them.
cantSpellConvictWithoutVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
gnats67
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtzulu View Post
hewitt to vt
lulz!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
Yukonwreck
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG01 View Post
FTFY.

He's in the Mark Fox hall of fame to me. Decent coaches that GT fans overrate because they beat us under you know who.
Exactly! Well said. I watched that buffoon at close range here at USF. He is a snake oil salesman. Unfortunately, now VPI has the chance to get a real coach.
Yukonwreck is offline   Reply With Quote