Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 04-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #61
beej67
Dodd-like

Default Re: Practice Report w/ Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeballin View Post
It was a 2x2 set with an Aback in the slot and an Aback at the wing. The B Back lined up behind the QB. The wing Aback jet motion to the mesh.
Sounds very West Virginia-ey.
beej67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #62
Nashville Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
I'm not worried about the QB position so much as I am worried about the rest of the team.
Lots of talk about the offense, but little talk about their biggest juggernaut, the defense. Tech's defense has to finally improve this year to put this program on a higher level.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #63
JacketFan77
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej67 View Post
Sounds very West Virginia-ey.
It was more Urban Myer-y. At one point, we ran a play that looked as though it came straight from the Florida playbook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffortWarrior79 View Post
Coach Johnson does indeed drink Cosmopolitans...if by Cosmopolitans, you mean jet fuel and nitroglycerin cocktails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by refrigeratormover View Post
Hey Jeff Schultz, My name is John Davis "go F*ck yourself"
JacketFan77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #64
JacketFan77
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Jacket View Post
Lots of talk about the offense, but little talk about their biggest juggernaut, the defense. Tech's defense has to finally improve this year to put this program on a higher level.
I think if you look back, those of us there today were impressed with the first defense - corn dog noted something about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffortWarrior79 View Post
Coach Johnson does indeed drink Cosmopolitans...if by Cosmopolitans, you mean jet fuel and nitroglycerin cocktails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by refrigeratormover View Post
Hey Jeff Schultz, My name is John Davis "go F*ck yourself"
JacketFan77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #65
gt2690b
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketup View Post
I'll go out on a limb and say this year's TW would likely start over 2008 JN--LegalJacket

This may be the dumbest statement ever. Tevin Washington still hasn't mastered the triple option, which is why GT runs it less than 20% of the time with TW. He makes good decisions because the decisions are easy--other teams take away the A back and B back and dare him to run because he isn't very good at it. He can't pass, either.

Nesbitt played on bad wheels for 2 years--then look at games like FSU where he put the team on his back, and then look at his record vs. TW's record--

and you make a statement like this?

Fans are so stupid. TW starts all year, and you can look for the third consecutive year of mediocre GT football.
Pretty bold saying is not very good runner.. He holds the rushing record for GT quarterbacks... He's not Dwyer but he's a pretty good runner
gt2690b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #66
QuadF
Dodd-like

fantastic write-up, corndog!

also, you mentioned that sweeting was at safety... does that mean that jemea is definitely playing CB?

@2690
while that may be true, the games where tevin had rushing records are some of the worst games he's played. He gets a lot of yardage because he isn't making good reads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFan85 View Post
I once heard a recruits cousins brother say that PJ left an upper decker at their house, take it for what its worth.
QuadF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #67
Buzztime
Jolly Good Fellow

I went and saw Josh Nesbitt play in high school. He looked very skinny and every play was out of shotgun. He didn't scramble much and only ran on designed plays. They ran an offense much like Vince Young & Texas at the time. If you look at his high school stats his passing stats would look real sweet but on most throws he wasn't on the run. Anyway the reason I mention this is he had to learn a whole new system under PJ and did WAY better then I thought he could. He must have fumbled 6 times in that first spring game including the first snap. It sounds to me like Lee is going to be the eventual starter beacuse he has the higher ceiling. I just don't see ACC championship with Tevin running the show.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #68
gtmg
Damn Good Rat

I really hope we go with getting our best potential players on the field. I am surprised at how many are selling Days short. We HAVE to get him on the field. He is probably our best runner. If it is QB or like I hope Aback it is time. Next lets give the ball to Vad and let him play. We have a great backup in Tevin. That is what he was all along and is his ceiling IMHO. The pressure of winning though caused CPJ t play not to lose last year so we end up with Tevin. He is a great Tech man and we should be proud he is on our team but he the prototypical backup in the TO. He does everything solid, does not turn the ball over but.... gives you very little big play potential. We have to have that to keep better defenses honest agains us. Paul it probably one of the best x and o's guys in the game but it is still jimmies and joes that win games.
gtmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #69
ramblinwise1
Dodd-like

Good to hear that we are trying the pistol. It really can be a hybrid shotgun/TO offense. Put the QB where he can read better on runs and passes, allows you to spread the field a little quicker, allows you to pass better. I hope that CPJ keeps Vad in the mix for equal snaps. I saw enough of TW in the UGAy game not to give him the position by default. I think we will need to pass the ball at least 30% of the time to make this offense work in D1 as in getting us in the top ten.
ramblinwise1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #70
wesleyd21
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketFan77 View Post
Vad got a good number of reps with 1st team, Finch at center, and the issues were all under center, with the exception of a few bad snaps in the shotgun. To me, Vad looked much more comfortable in the shotgun. I didn't think he looked all that bad - made some smart reads and showed signs that he can be really shifty getting out of trouble in the backfield and getting down field. As I said this morning watching those new spread looks, if Vad can master the basic TO formations, this offense will be dynamic, shifting between the standard formation and this new spread look. Defenses won't know what to prepare for.
Do you think Bob Davie's head will explode when he does one of our games?

Just wait until after we don't win good enough.
wesleyd21 is offline   Reply With Quote