Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 04-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
beej67
Dodd-like

Default Re: Practice Report w/ Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtownJacket View Post
Its gotta be Vad.
Lee 17 for 60 yards 1 TD, 4 fumbles, 2 fumbles lost

Vad is fumbling every four carries. He will never, ever, ever start on an option team with numbers like that.

If he can get that problem figured out, then yeah, he could definitely be the guy we're looking for.
Despite spikes in butthurt futures forecasts among the market, it appears that investor fears of an offensive similar to that of a flailing duck have been tempered by strong resurgence of passing. The outlook is stable to start the week.
beej67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
andrew
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej67 View Post
Lee 17 for 60 yards 1 TD, 4 fumbles, 2 fumbles lost

Vad is fumbling every four carries. He will never, ever, ever start on an option team with numbers like that.

If he can get that problem figured out, then yeah, he could definitely be the guy we're looking for.
Pretty sure only one of those fumbles came on a carry, according to other posts in the thread. So that's fumbling once every seventeen carries.

Now he's fumbling three times every X QB/C exchanges, but I don't think I would put too much stock into that when there is a bunch of QB/C switching going on.

Sure other QBs didn't have trouble with it, but just because you do have trouble moving between centers reliably doesn't mean you will screw up at a high rate when using one center (and vice versa). It seems like something that should be fixable.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
BlackJacket
Dodd-like

A few random observations from today:

Passing was horrible today. No deep balls were completed all day. The defense played much better this week than last week in that regard. They were jamming hard on our receivers at the line. Holton wasn't out there (maybe he's injured and I missed it?), so it was Sweeting at safety with Johnson and Young and Thomas at the corner spots with Dennis coming in on nickel packages. They played well today.

There were some huge holes on a few runs, but other than that, the defense was getting good penetration into the backfield today. Lots of blitzes and they payed off more today because of the secondary play.

We held Sims out most of the day to see what the other b-backs could do and they played well. Perkins had a long, long run, but got caught from behind by young inside the 5. Laskey looked much quicker in open space and had a couple solid runs himself.

Washington got more reps than last week, but wasn't nearly as effective. He could not pass down the field at all today. Like we saw last year however, if he misses, he misses out of bounds, which is good. But he has to be more accurate out there.

Other than the int, and some bad snaps, Synjyn was the best QB out there today because of his running ability. He's not out of the back-up QB race yet. Especially considering how Vad played.

Today was just not Vad's day. He had some nice runs and a couple of nice reads on the option, but the ball was on the ground too often. Half the blame has to be on him for the QB-C exchanges. Tevin straightens those problems out quickly if they occur, but Vad had it happen twice in a row at the goaline. Luckily it's only the Spring, so he has time to work on this.

If the season started today, Tevin is hands down our starter just because you can trust him to keep possession of the football.
BlackJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
GT1992
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
Pretty sure only one of those fumbles came on a carry, according to other posts in the thread. So that's fumbling once every seventeen carries.

Now he's fumbling three times every X QB/C exchanges, but I don't think I would put too much stock into that when there is a bunch of QB/C switching going on.

Sure other QBs didn't have trouble with it, but just because you do have trouble moving between centers reliably doesn't mean you will screw up at a high rate when using one center (and vice versa). It seems like something that should be fixable.
It's fixable, but Lee will have to prove it on the practice field. That's the downside of #2, you aren't going to get all your reps with the 1's. Furthermore, there will probably be a time during the season when the backup center will come in. Seems to me he needs more reps before he's ready for primetime.
GT1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #25
JacketFan77
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1992 View Post
It's fixable, but Lee will have to prove it on the practice field. That's the downside of #2, you aren't going to get all your reps with the 1's. Furthermore, there will probably be a time during the season when the backup center will come in. Seems to me he needs more reps before he's ready for primetime.
Vad got a good number of reps with 1st team, Finch at center, and the issues were all under center, with the exception of a few bad snaps in the shotgun. To me, Vad looked much more comfortable in the shotgun. I didn't think he looked all that bad - made some smart reads and showed signs that he can be really shifty getting out of trouble in the backfield and getting down field. As I said this morning watching those new spread looks, if Vad can master the basic TO formations, this offense will be dynamic, shifting between the standard formation and this new spread look. Defenses won't know what to prepare for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffortWarrior79 View Post
Coach Johnson does indeed drink Cosmopolitans...if by Cosmopolitans, you mean jet fuel and nitroglycerin cocktails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by refrigeratormover View Post
Hey Jeff Schultz, My name is John Davis "go F*ck yourself"
JacketFan77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #26
BuzzLaw
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Jacket View Post
fify. Vad had serious ball control problems today. Also Tevin's pass stats I think are a bit misleading given the plays we ran when he was in at QB. Granted I agree that Vad's a better passer, but he wouldn't have thrown for more than 20 yards total with the plays we were calling for TW.
There is a reason why we are calling run plays with TW though, and I believe that reason is he can't pass as well as Vad.

I think JN fumbled about 8 times during the first spring game. Though I'm sure a Vad fumble could cost us a game with our front-loaded schedule, I see him as the starter if he improves as JN did. His upside is just too good.
Concur 100&. Where's Chili? Nutts? It's gone from an occasional circle jerk thread to a circle jerk of a few spazoids. Over and over. We don't care about your ignorant cornhole hookups. You're ööös. That's all we need to know. Go away and start your own Nerdtalk board.
BuzzLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #27
GTBandit22
Dodd-like

Tevin may still be the starter, but it wasn't because of this scrimmage. He moved the ball least and had zero scoring drives. But he also took the least reps of the top 3.
Vad needs to work on the exchange but I thought he looked good, and moved the offense.
Synjin is a one man show. It results in some awesome runs, but he tucks it and runs way too early sometimes.

This is just one scrimmage. Don't read too much into it. The qb race will be decided in the fall.
GTBandit22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #28
BuzzLaw
Dodd-like

Also, I have not watched a scrimmage or a practice, so my opinion means jack squat.

Thanks to all of you who watched and filled us in!

Concur 100&. Where's Chili? Nutts? It's gone from an occasional circle jerk thread to a circle jerk of a few spazoids. Over and over. We don't care about your ignorant cornhole hookups. You're ööös. That's all we need to know. Go away and start your own Nerdtalk board.
BuzzLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #29
GT1992
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketFan77 View Post
Vad got a good number of reps with 1st team, Finch at center, and the issues were all under center, with the exception of a few bad snaps in the shotgun. To me, Vad looked much more comfortable in the shotgun. I didn't think he looked all that bad - made some smart reads and showed signs that he can be really shifty getting out of trouble in the backfield and getting down field. As I said this morning watching those new spread looks, if Vad can master the basic TO formations, this offense will be dynamic, shifting between the standard formation and this new spread look. Defenses won't know what to prepare for.
Once he masters the basic TO, CPJ's bread and butter, he might get to see the field in a competitive situation. Until then, I just don't see him taking the field on a team that values ball control and time of possession over big play ability. Not that we don't break one from time to time, but three years ago, Johnson seemed happy with three yards and a cloud of dust.
GT1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #30
GT_JohnnyBodkin
Damn Good Rat

Vad is the best passer I've seen since Joe Hamilton. However, when i look towards the VT game right now, I want to win the game and the only QB that i think has a chance of doing that is TFW.
GT_JohnnyBodkin is offline   Reply With Quote