Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 04-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Default Re: First Half Practice Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jacket View Post
This. I'm pretty excited about the screens, though if I remember correctly we had one broken up and turned into a tip/interception. Don't remember who had the pick or who the QB was.
Nice one was TW to Greene, iirc. Didn't quite get the first though.
Legal Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
GTBandit22
Dodd-like

Synjin is a badass running the football, but his passing was off. We have to find a position for him, he reminds me of David Sims at QB. He looked really comfortable running the zone read.
Tevin had a bad day passing any further than 5 yards. He didn't get as many reps as the other guys.
Vad had about 6 fumbles, but most were C-QB exchange. He did lose one inside the 15 on a good hit. Sucks because he had a good drive going. Best arm out of the 3 by far, and he looked a lot more comfortable in the pistol.Not much triple today from any of the QB's.
Vad probably got the lion's share of the reps, followed by Days, then Tevin, then Andrews, then a handful of snaps for the other 3.
I think Tevin will still be starting after spring concludes, but Vad will be breathing down his neck.
Perkins had the longest run from scrimmage. I would guess 50 yards, but he was run down by Young from behind. Sims had some good runs, but not many carries. Laskey looked pretty good out there today. Some nice carries, hit the hole hard, and had a nice catch and run on a wheel route.
Bostic looked good on a few read option runs around end, and had a couple of catches. Deon Hill had a good day too. I freaking love the pistol zone read. It suits our personnel very well. Bostic and Zenon had some long gainers on the give.

But honestly, the defense won the day. Big props to Quayshawn, Jabari, and Watts. I really liked what I saw at linebacker. If I were to pick the starting 4, it would be Sneezy, Quay, Jabari, and Watts... These guys were laying the lumber, and I'm glad they only gave Andrews one series. I thought they were going to kill the kid. Great pressure on the QB all day. Dieke and Anthony Williams also looked good at DE. Barnes was tougher to judge, but Coach Mac said to expect big things from TJ this year.

Got to talk to Coach Mac for a minute after practice. Really nice guy and had some candid comments about some players and what we're trying to do on defense.

Sorry if it's vague, but I was hungover and didn't take notes.
See you guys Friday!

Last edited by GTBandit22; 04-14-2012 at 02:26 PM.
GTBandit22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
alpha
Dodd-like

Quote:
This. I'm pretty excited about the screens, though if I remember correctly we had one broken up and turned into a tip/interception. Don't remember who had the pick or who the QB was.
BayBay used to be really good with stiff arming that lonely corner out in the island with him and breaking a big play.

Stephen had a good a good one against WCU last year for a TD.

For the rest, I remember it being 2-3 yard gains because the passes seemed to take too long for it to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJackets89 View Post
Not only did he renounce his fan hood, his family came together in a meeting and decided they were all shitty fans.
alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
MadTownJacket
Dodd-like

I think Tevin starts, but Vad takes reps in easy games.
MadTownJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architorture23 View Post
The difference in the QBs to me is that when SD is out there, he IS the offense. He keeps it on basically every play. He is a very talented runner but he doesn't distribute the ball. In other words, he needs to be a RB.
I don't think CPJ fully intends that to happen either. Two things are pretty clear to me: i) Days may be the best runner we have and ii) our offense is one dimensional with him at QB. I think most who have seen the practices are in agreement that he needs to be on the field as an AB or BB this year.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBandit22 View Post
But honestly, the defense won the day. Big props to Quayshawn, Jabari, and Watts. I really liked what I saw at linebacker. If I were to pick the starting 4, it would be Sneezy, Quay, Jabari, and Watts... These guys were laying the lumber, and I'm glad they only gave Andrews one series. I thought they were going to kill the kid.
Only thing I would add to this is a lot of the pressure came off the 2nd/3rd string OL. The first string wasn't in, for example, when Andrews was in there. I definitely agree we looked good pressuring the QB, but a lot of it was off very poor protection.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
alpha
Dodd-like

Quote:
He looked really comfortable running the zone read.
Are we running zone read (a la Oregon style) where we have a bback or aback coming across the QB to mesh as soon as the ball is snapped? Out of shotgun or pistol?

Quote:
Vad had about 6 fumbles, but most were C-QB exchange.
Is each QB working with their own assigned C? Like was the C-QB exchanges with just a particular C? QB? C-QB combination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJackets89 View Post
Not only did he renounce his fan hood, his family came together in a meeting and decided they were all shitty fans.
alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
GTLiebs
Dodd-like

nm
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Thou shalt runneth the rocket toss.

Last edited by GTLiebs; 04-14-2012 at 02:12 PM.
GTLiebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #19
GTLiebs
Dodd-like

Quote:
I think that was Nesbitt against Virginia in 2010 and that was more of the D lineman getting in Nesbitts face and Nesbitt derping and trying to throw the ball overhead the guy a yard or two in front of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Thou shalt runneth the rocket toss.
GTLiebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #20
GTBandit22
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Are we running zone read (a la Oregon style) where we have a bback or aback coming across the QB to mesh as soon as the ball is snapped? Out of shotgun or pistol?

Is each QB working with their own assigned C? Like was the C-QB exchanges with just a particular C? QB? C-QB combination?
Aback coming across formation towards the other slot.
I think it was evenly split between Alford and Finch on Vad. Not sure about the others
GTBandit22 is offline   Reply With Quote