Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 04-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Default First Half Practice Report

Couldn't make it to the whole thing. A few thoughts

1) Days was on fire today. Must have averaged at least 15 yards a carry. One drive he took it down field in ~4 carries. It took two carries for him to catch his breath, then he punched it in 3rd and goal from the 2.

2) Moore could start at WR. He made some great catches. He's also got a size advantage over Chris Jackson. Either way he will be heavy in the rotation.

3) Our backup OL stinks. Or maybe our backup DL is that good. QBs were pressured on nearly every pass and sacked in droves.

4) TW again hardly played. He was taking some snaps in pistol formation but he's a good yard or three back from where Days and VL take the snap. Nothing too noteworthy, had a few decent runs, a few ill-advised passes, and a few solid passes.

5) Bostic continues to impress with his catching ability and quickness. I don't think he starts, but he's going to get the ball on a lot of third down plays.

6) Godhigh had a good practice. Made a few catches. Made a few nice blocks.

7) VL had a relatively poor practice, at least from a ball control standpoint. Had a very nice first drive with passes to Moore (pass came in behind Moore and he made a great catch, reaching his hands out in the opposite direction he was running) and Godhigh (~25 yards, I think a wheel route). Had a 5-7 yard run that would set us up on the 3-5 yard line and fumbled. Next drive I think he fumbled 2 QB-C exchanges.

8) 30 yard FG off the uprights no good. We need some help in this area.
Legal Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
NEJacket1
Damn Good Rat

Default Re: First Half Practice Report

Thanks for the updates.....
NEJacket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Jacket59
Helluva Engineer

Thanks.
Jacket59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
The Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Jacket View Post
4) TW again hardly played. He was taking some snaps in pistol formation but he's a good yard or three back from where Days and VL take the snap.
I'm not sure guy, but I think that was the shotgun. :)
Old 04-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Architorture23
Dodd-like

Funny how preconceptions shape one's report. It's hard for me to believe anyone could say VL had a poor practice in any way. He fumbled once on a carry and there were some fumbled snaps but I put basically zero stock in C-QB exchanges right now because of how much they are swapping out. Both TW and SD also had at least one fumbled snap, as well.

IMO, there is very little drop off in offensive production from TW to SD to VL. This, obviously, means the defense is not good. The difference in the QBs to me is that when SD is out there, he IS the offense. He keeps it on basically every play. He is a very talented runner but he doesn't distribute the ball. In other words, he needs to be a RB.

VL looked terrific most of the day. In the shotgun/pistol he is the best QB on the field, imo. I think he had the most complete tools to run a full offense right now and hell only be better by the Fall.

TW looked the TW we all know, for better or worse. He's the safe bet.

Of the other skill players, I'd say Bostic looked best. I'm very excited about him touching the ball a lot this year. Perkins had one really nice run but got caught from behind by Lou Young inside the 5.

Furthermore, I think this offense can really take off with a mixture of the base plus this pistol formation. It stretches the defense out and creates great interior lanes for our playmakers. We also ran a couple of nice screens out of the pistol. Even ran a nice WR bubble screen.

Last edited by Architorture23; 04-14-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Architorture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
05GTCorndog
Dodd-like

I charted every play and will be posting offensive stats here in a few mins once I compile the numbers.
05GTCorndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
MadTownJacket
Dodd-like

I thought VL had a good day. I didn't go to last week's practice, so I can't make a judgement on the improvement, but I wasn't disappointed with QB play for the most part.
MadTownJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
The Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architorture23 View Post
We also ran a couple of nice screens out of the pistol. Even ran a nice WR bubble screen.
This. I'm pretty excited about the screens, though if I remember correctly we had one broken up and turned into a tip/interception. Don't remember who had the pick or who the QB was.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jacket View Post
I'm not sure guy, but I think that was the shotgun. :)
lol. Can you take a shotgun snap with a BB a few yards behind you (Thought they'd be even if it was shotgun). Sims was even pushing TW up like, dude get out of my space.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architorture23 View Post
Funny how preconceptions shape one's report. It's hard for me to believe anyone could say VL had a poor practice in any way. He fumbled once on a carry and there were some fumbled snaps but I put basically zero stock in C-QB exchanges right now because of how much they are swapping out. Both TW and SD also had at least one fumbled snap, as well.
Should have been more clear re VL. He had a poor practice relative to the last time I saw him play, the second half of the last practice. I thought he made some plays (wobbly screen pass under pressure for 10-15 yards, throw behind Moore that Moore made a play on for another 10-15, nice pass to Godhigh down the sideline, nice run setting up the fumble), but he was unmistakably ON at the end of last practice, esp the 40+ yard TD run.