Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Other Sports

Old 04-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
BuzzMD
Dodd-like

Default One thing I wish American sports had...

Relegation battles. Watching the fans at Wigan celebrate yesterday, since that might keep them up in the Premier League, was awesome. Much better than watching your team at the end of the season playing scrubs and potential trade-bait with nothing to play for.

Note: This is not a "soccer is uber/soccer sucks" pissoff debate. I just think that relegation for NFL, NBA, MLB would be awesome and keep games exciting in the very end of the season even for teams who suck. Hell, it would even be fun for college level as well, imo.
BuzzMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Diseqc
Banned (Member Complaints)

BCS leagues should relegate to non-BCS leagues.
Diseqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
BuzzMD
Dodd-like

Default Re: One thing I wish American sports had...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseqc View Post
BCS leagues should relegate to non-BCS leagues.
Exactly. Make those games at end of season count for teams out of title contention.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
andrew
Dodd-like

American pro leagues have the opposite: lose more and you get a better draft choice.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Allen Koholic
Dodd-like

I don't know if this would work in anything other than college football. The Big Four leagues would have too much to lose by demoting teams to the farm leagues.
Allen Koholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
clapper
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzMD View Post
Relegation battles. Watching the fans at Wigan celebrate yesterday, since that might keep them up in the Premier League, was awesome.
+1

West Ham staged an imcredible end of season a few years ago to avoid relegation.

Now, I've been following the meltdown of West Ham as they dropped from 1st to 3rd in the nPower Championship in the course of 3 weeks as they try to get back to the Premier League. What a cluster.
clapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
BuzzMD
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Koholic View Post
I don't know if this would work in anything other than college football. The Big Four leagues would have too much to lose by demoting teams to the farm leagues.
Allen, I am not saying it could work, because as you say (and I agree) that they would lose too much. I am just saying if I had a magic wand/"czar for the day", I would force them to have relegation...it improves the games for the teams at the bottom, and actually gives them something to play for. I know this is not a realistic goal for American sports. I just wish it was.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
05GTCorndog
Dodd-like

This team is going to go into Blacksburg like the ööööing Hun. They aren't just going to win the game, they are going to humiliate VT for 60 minutes. Then they are going to impregnate the VT cheerleaders, even the male ones. They are going to tar and feather that new OC and drink whiskey from Foster's skull. All of Blacksburg will burn save one man. Beamer will be left unharmed so he can fully witness the wanton destruction he has brought upon the land of the ball-less turkey.
05GTCorndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
GT1992
Dodd-like

We could have Sioux City of the D league get to the NBA, replacing Charlotte. I still wouldn't watch professional basketball though.

I think it is unreasonable for American sports because the owners have formed cartels and none of them would want to be relegated.
GT1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
andrew
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1992 View Post
We could have Sioux City of the D league get to the NBA, replacing Charlotte. I still wouldn't watch professional basketball though.

I think it is unreasonable for American sports because the owners have formed cartels and none of them would want to be relegated.
EPL is getting there as well: http://articles.boston.com/2011-10-1...foreign-owners